Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extruding a circle cut out of a circle in a sketch

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
sprior913
6839 Views, 5 Replies

Extruding a circle cut out of a circle in a sketch

I'm trying to model a simple zero clearance insert for my miter saw which is a plate with 6 countersunk screw holes.  To draw this I started out with a sketch with a circle in a circle for the holes, my plan was to extrude the donut shape up to a partial height lower than the main body and leave the middle circle empty where the screw would go.  What I noticed was that I could select that donut shape and the preview would clearly show a hollow cylinder, but when I actually hit OK I'd end up with a simple solid cylinder - no screw hole.  Is this a bug or am I doing it wrong?

What would be the "proper" way to draw the sketch and then extrude the part for printing?  The other thing I noticed was that if I were to extrude the screw hole seperately from the rest of the plate I end up with 2 body elements - how would I merge them into one entity that I can export as a STL file?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Phil.E
in reply to: sprior913

In your images, I don't see the rest of the plate. Is it hidden? If so, try turning on the visibility prior to extruding the donut shape. If you want, you could attach the file, just use export archive from the 3-bar menu to get the file.

If you ever wind up with separate bodies that are touching and should be one body, use the Combine command under Modify menu.

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 6
sprior913
in reply to: Phil.E

So I could clearly explain the donut extrusion problem I hadn't extruded the rest of the body yet.  Thanks for explaining how to combine bodies, now I just need to understand why the ring didn't extrude into a hollow cylinder.  The archive is attached.

Message 4 of 6
Phil.E

The cause of this problem is the lines that extend from the center of the holes to the edge of the plate. I've logged this as an issue and given it to our development team. It should either not show you a good preview, or it should not fail. It should not show a good preview and then fail. So thanks for your input and help to make Fusion better!

Now to solve the problem: turn those lines into construction lines. They won't participate in the extrusion. Or sketch without them. See below.

sketch_fix.png

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 6
sprior913
in reply to: Phil.E

Now we're getting somewhere - how would I turn those lines into construction lines?

Message 6 of 6
Phil.E

First edit the sketch.

1) select the line

2) right click, and pick Normal/Construction.

convert_to_construction.png

It's toggle, so you can use the same command to turn construction into "normal" lines.

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report