Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting simplest of shapes results in unprintable STL

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
nkloski
584 Views, 4 Replies

Exporting simplest of shapes results in unprintable STL

Hi all.....I created a super simple shape....a cylinder 20mm tall, with a flat hole cut down 18mm inside.  Should be easily 3D printable, right?  Not so much!  The file does not slice properly, and looking at the STL export, I see tons of lines that originate ouside the model, going through the skin, and back outside...the slicer freaks out at that and makes the print unprintable.  Can someone explain how maybe to increase the STL export resolution for the number of facets on the cylinder, or just help me understand why this is happening?

The picture below is with the bottom removed to show internal geometry....

Thanks!

badGeo.PNG

Nick Kloski
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
SallyYang
in reply to: nkloski

I've tried your file that removed bottom with latest Fusion 360(2.0.1082), the preview doesn't contains any lines out of model:

Result.png

Consider the different result on my side, could you share the build version of Fusion 360 which could be found from:

Version.png

If you are using older version, could you upgrade it to the latest, and let me know if you still can reproduce it.

Regards,
Sally

Sally Yang
Software QA Engineer
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 5
nkloski
in reply to: SallyYang

Thanks, Sally...that is thre version I am using.......If you look at the bottom of the exported STL, it is completely non-manifold, but with a shell that does nto connect, even though it should:

edge.PNG

And If you do the manifold check in another program (Iher,e Blender) you get a ton of non-manifold places:

nonManifold.PNG

Any ideas?  This only shows up on the exported STL model.

Thanks!

Nick Kloski
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 5
SallyYang
in reply to: nkloski

Thanks for the further information, I can recreate the issue now.

There is a local translator that could help you on exporting STL too, you can find a command "Save As STL" from the context menu of body in browser. The result is much better than export from dashboard. You can also set refinement option to get different level of quality.

SaveASSTL.png

Regards,
Sally

Sally Yang
Software QA Engineer
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 5
nkloski
in reply to: SallyYang

Yep, that works well, with a perfect STL generated.  Thanks!

Nick Kloski

EESignature

Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report