Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easier way to make an inset lip on a top

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
sanguish
767 Views, 6 Replies

Easier way to make an inset lip on a top

I recently modeled a heart shaped box to have laser printed.

While the heart shaped box (the bottom) wasy easy, I had nothing but trouble with the top.

A picture might help. I wanted the top of the box to have a curve to it, and have the place where it sat have a similar curve. This was done by creating splines and offsetting them, and then using then to cut the main body. But as you can see in the image, the top is separate from the bottom.

I ended up having to inset the starting heart sketch, turning off the bottom component, and the top component, leaving only the 'lip' on. Then I inset the heart and extruded it till it cut the edge of the lip away.

When I turned everythign back on, I hollowed the bottom component, and joined the top components.

Everything was done in Model mode. I've not had any luck getting any traction learning the sculpt mode. 

There must be an easier way to have done this. Does anyone have any clues?

If I can figure out how to attach the basic extruded heart shape, maybe someone could show me. This took hours to do, and it seems like it should have just been minutes.

I wasn't able to get the joints to work to be able to try and slide it into the bottom component, so I'm hoping the 3D pieces just fit when I get them back. 🙂

Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated.

Scott

Ember.png

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: sanguish

See attached file.

Something like this?

Message 3 of 7
sanguish
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

It seems I can't load it from the local drive. Which seems at best insane.

Any suggestions?
Message 4 of 7
TheCADWhisperer

@sanguish wrote:
It seems I can't load it from the local drive. Which seems at best insane.

Any suggestions?

Have you done this before with other files?  Are you familiar with the 2-step process?

Message 5 of 7
sanguish

No' no idea of the two step factor. :-). I guess I need to learn even more.. 🙂

Sent from my iPad
Message 6 of 7
TheCADWhisperer

I have been having trouble with this lately - but maybe attached image will help.

Import CAD Data.png

Message 7 of 7
sanguish

Thank you so much for the instructions. This is a pain to do.

The ironic news is that after I sent the files to the 3D printer I attempted to clean up my Dashboard and accidently seem to have deleted them. BOOO. At least I have the project done.

The result is almost exactly what I had, but clearly done in a similar manner.. I did the same thing with the splines, etc..

So you extended the bottom cup up to get rid of the extra space around the top to form the 'lid'. Right? But how did you do that without having it cut the entire bottom of the cup away?

Did you do this all in model? I wish I could learn Sculpt better. I'd have liked to have put a more curved bottom in it so it would be easier to pick things out of.

I can't thaink you enough for the demo though... just that one clarification would be fantastic.

Scott

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report