Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difficulty with expanding portion of design

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
N4n45h1
1022 Views, 13 Replies

Difficulty with expanding portion of design

I'm looking for some direction to follow to modify an existing design. I am trying to thicken left and right walls in order to make the inner section narrower. However, none of my attempts have been successful. I am not looking for learning materials for CAD, but rather a solution to this specific problem. I am not experienced in CAD but simply need to solve this one problem in order to move forward.

**I already posted this here http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Difficulty-with-expanding-portion-of-design/td-p/4695..., but was advised to post here for more specific support.**

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
rishivadher
in reply to: N4n45h1

Message 3 of 14
N4n45h1
in reply to: rishivadher

Thank you for modifying the file, but unfortunately you did change the wrong two sides.  The sides we are having problems with are the ones I have highlighted in the attached image.

Do you know how to modify these?

Message 4 of 14
rishivadher

Ok sorry for the mistake,
what I did was two body’s (each for a wall) and joint then to have one unique solid,
best's

Message 5 of 14
N4n45h1

I'm having some difficulty understanding the steps behind what you did. We're looking for the opposite effect, where it gets much narrower as opposed to wider when you go through the opening. I created bodies, but I'm confused as to how you used the joint function to finish the process.
Message 6 of 14
rishivadher

hi, what I did was to blocks beside the surface and then joint the solid and made then some cuts, i've put the fusion file and a iges as dwg, so can see the process
best

Message 7 of 14
N4n45h1

Thank you for your prompt reply. That is almost exactly what we are looking for. However, I do not understand how to see the process from the files provided. If you could simply point towards documentation that explains how to trace the process from the files you have provided, it would be greatly appreciated.

I am sorry if you find my lack of expertise frustrating. I am desperately trying to figure this out as fast as possible.

Message 8 of 14
rishivadher

Hi sorry for the delay, had few time (last week before the University charismas vacations), and the new interface of Fusion 360 Beta, so was lost.

It’s a beat hard to explain, but 1º made a skech on the surface, can be made with model mode our sculpt mode(002.jpg). 2º made a body not in same model(like making a new part(003.jpg)), 4º ajust as you want and then try to make join the both part’s.

Sorry for the delay again, best regards

Message 9 of 14
N4n45h1

I have somewhat successfully extended the side walls. However, I am still missing a little part of it that I am looking for help on. I have attached my work so far and some screenshots to explain exactly where my problem lies.

I'm looking for help extended the side bolsters to the top and bottom of the ramp. It's very close on the bottom and I'm trying to extend the bolsters to the front in order to make they look more natural with the rest of the opening. On the top though, I cannot seem to extend the bolster to the point where it is flush with the top curving ramp.

For example, in this picture I have highlighted how the top of the bolster does not contact the original ramp, but I am unsuccessful in attempting to extend it all the way.

screenshot.png

It is also visible on the bottom that the bolsters do not extend all the way to the beginning of the opening/ramp. I am hoping someone can provide advise on how to make this transition smoother.

Message 10 of 14
rishivadher

https://fusionbeta.autodesk360.com/xdio/permalink/XD42309QT53d1eb6a080bf815624b67ea52b

Hi there

Have placed the part in a public HUB, for some collaborative work, the hyperlink is above for this project, and what I’ve done was just simple test, that extrude more material then use the “split body” to adjust to the model

Hope it helps

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

Thanks for uploading the file for the modified version.  I tried to open it on Fusion 360 and received the following error:

"The file you are tryin gto open was last saved in a newer version of the software. It cannot be opened."

I have attached a screenshot of the error.  I tried finding a newer version, but everything says mine is the newest, so I'm assuming you're using a beta version of Fusion 360 which I am unable to find.

Would you be able to upload it in another file format?

Thanks and I really appreciate your help.

Message 13 of 14
N4n45h1

Thank you so much for your help rishi. We finally figured it out with the use of the split body command.
Message 14 of 14
rishivadher

🙂
do not hesitate to ask
best's Rishi

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report