Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Current Development Direction - Usability of Fusion

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
cekuhnen
424 Views, 4 Replies

Current Development Direction - Usability of Fusion

Hi friends,

Today I gave Fusion sketch a new run and quickly experienced some very limiting aspects.

For example snapping is still extremely under developed in Fusion.

You cannot snap a custom orientation widget to the grid

You cannot snap a circle drawing tool to excisting profiles.

You cannot snap 3 point acts onto excisting profiles.

In sketch mode only lines seem to be supportive of snapping to 3D geometry and onto edges.

Next semester I would like to utilize Fusion as a series alternative compared to Alias

but I find that with nearly many tools functions are missing or half implemented.

And in it's current state I simply cannot make the switch. The stability with Fusion is still a problem.

Just today it crashed with every document I had open. But that can be worked around.

Missing tools or functions however impact you much more significantly.

For example also the move and rotate scale option is very limited because again

Fusion does not have any decent snapping tool that applies to everyhing mesh surface solid curve and grid.

Here are to screencasts showing some of my frustration:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byzv_NlyKp_2NVdhcHhyMjBzbFk/edit?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byzv_NlyKp_2N3ZnT0JmOUVfTXc/edit?usp=sharing

I do not want to sound overly negative, I understand software development takes time.

But when you work on such an amazing workflow of T-Splines Design Timeline why dont

we have an untrim for surfaces or decent usable snapping?!

I posted some ideas in the idea station, can you maybe provide some insight into where Fusion is heading?

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
SallyYang
in reply to: cekuhnen

Thanks for posting these issues. I am trying to escalated them to get a resolution from development team, however I get some difficulties on reproducing the inferences  issues when create 3 point arc and rectangle in first video. Could you share me the file to help addressing the issue?  Thanks for your support and  appreciate your help.

Regards,
Sally

Sally Yang
Software QA Engineer
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 5
cekuhnen
in reply to: SallyYang

Here are screencasts showing you Fusion vs Rhino and Blender and I think it explains well why I think that the snapping tools

in Fusion are very under developed in their current state and need improvement if you want also designers to work with it.

Please let me know if this makes sense and answeres your questions.

Snapping:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byzv_NlyKp_2VnJlakd0MWRRVVE/edit?usp=sharing

Align Move command in design time line:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byzv_NlyKp_2czdzV2UxMWxUbWM/edit?usp=sharing

Something I forgot to mention, it makes no sense to add a move command into the time line when I used an align command.

The Timeline should feature me the align tool set when I edit the entry and not give me a move rotate dialog.

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

Message 4 of 5
SallyYang
in reply to: cekuhnen

Hi cekuhnen,

Many thanks for your detailed videos to show your issues in snap, move and align. We also saw the item in Idea Station regarding Move and Snapping. All these are valuable feedback for product improvement and they are much appreciated!

Here are the summary of the issues as well as my comments:

• Sketch grid space changing with zoom in/out: the behavior is controlled by an adaptive settings in Fusion 360, which is default to Adaptive for a nice grid granularity when Zoom In/Out. You may try the Fixed option to see the difference.

snap setting.png

• Snap issues cross sketches: we currently don't support snap cross sketches. In order to snap the sketch lines in your case, you can either consider to use Project command to project other objects to the current sketch or edit the existing sketch to create lines with snap.
  • Move(reset) issues: we will propose an improvement to the move reset behavior and follow up with it.
  • Align issues: For Align command, if the first selection is a face, the first selected object will move and/or rotate to the second selection, and we do not support align center currently. So in the case shown in the video, the selected face is at the same plane with the sketch ellipse, so the movement distance is 0 along the normal direction. That should explain why align doens't work for the ellipse and selected face. However, we agree the Align command have space to improve. 

Regards,
Sally

Sally Yang
Software QA Engineer
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 5
deyop
in reply to: SallyYang

Thanks for your clear and complete input.  We are indebted to everyone who honestly provides these comments.  I agree with your points and believe these comments will help us to prioritize these issues in the near future.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report