Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crease Edge in TSplines results in Box model?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
cekuhnen
1059 Views, 13 Replies

Crease Edge in TSplines results in Box model?

So I select an Edge apply the crease command and the complete model is in box mode ?!

What am I doing wrong here?

crease.jpg

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
deyop
in reply to: cekuhnen

Anytime you try to crease an edge that ends in a star point it will change the model into box mode.  It doesn't know how to resolve a smooth shape from it.  It is a limitation in the T-Splines currently.  We have people working on a solution to the problem.  Another way to address the problem would be to add edges in the vicinity of the edge which don't end in a star point.  This will give you some control of the shape in that area.NotCrease.png

Message 3 of 14
cekuhnen
in reply to: deyop

Hi Deyop,

thanks for pointing this out. I was not aware of that creasing with star points currently do not work. I assumed creasing was working in general.

In addition to the current dev is it possible to have different level of creasing? Currently it looks Fusion only supports full or no crease!

Adding extra loop cuts of course also works just makes the mesh often so much more denser.

Pixar released their last code for subduvision surfaces to the public and it allows perfect edge creasing without the need of extra loopcuts to prevent edge crease artifacts.

Best

Claas

Claas Kuhnen

Message 4 of 14
colin.smith

Hi Class,

You are correct that we currently only have options for full creasing  or no creasing.  In an upcoming release we will have levels of creasing to choose from.

Cheers,

Colin

Colin Smith
Sr. Product Manager
SketchBook
Alias Create VR (aka Project Sugarhill)
Automotive & Conceptual Design Group
Message 5 of 14
tom.finnigan

@cekuhnen wrote:

Pixar released their last code for subduvision surfaces to the public and it allows perfect edge creasing without the need of extra loopcuts to prevent edge crease artifacts.

Hi Claas,

So I have taken a look at the pixar method for semi-sharp creasing, and it looks like it is unfortunately not directly applicable.  Specifically, using their method is great for rendering to the screen, but if you were to directly convert it to a NURBS then it would subdivide many times near the semi-sharp creases, doing more and more the tighter the radius is.  This is kind of a blocker for us, since we assume that pretty much every T-spline will eventually be converted to NURBS.

We might be able to approximate the surface near the creases so we don't have so many small patches, or come up with another semi-sharp scheme that is more NURBS-friendly.. either way, it is more complex than just dropping in the OpenSubdiv code, unfortunately.

This is not to say that we have given up on creasing - we know it is a high priority, and something that the t-splines team is working on.

- Tom

Tom Finnigan
Software Architect
Message 6 of 14
cekuhnen
in reply to: tom.finnigan

Hello Tom,

that is too bad. The way how I worked around this was  in my 3D application to bake the model into a finer polygon mesh so the density better reflects the individually creased edges. This worked sufficiently in many cases.

Right with T-Spline in Fusion adding more loopcuts can of course also work. It makes the mesh more denser but it works.

Claas Kuhnen

Message 7 of 14
deyop

Another way to manage the amount of creasing is to modify the tangent handles that are added whenever a crease is applied to edges.  Here is an video describing the concept.

Managing the tangent handle position will allow you to vary the angle between the two sides of the creased edge which will vary the sharpness of the crease.

Message 8 of 14
cekuhnen
in reply to: colin.smith

@colin.smith

Hey what happened to crease weights?

4 years past 😉

Claas Kuhnen

Message 9 of 14
SaeedHamza

@cekuhnen

Wow, was there really such a limitation ... strange 😕

Anyway I guess it has been solved at some point, because it's working fine with me

Regards

Crease.png

Message 10 of 14
SaeedHamza
in reply to: SaeedHamza

This post is ANCIENT!

Post of the first men in Fusion Smiley Very Happy

Message 11 of 14
cekuhnen

@SaeedHamza

Yes that works - I pinged Colin to know what happened about selective edge creasing.

T-Splines currently only offers no or full crease.

Claas Kuhnen

Message 12 of 14
SaeedHamza

I see. That concept of the handles for a crease would be great to have

Message 13 of 14
cekuhnen

yeah hence my question about what happened

this is 4 years back

Claas Kuhnen

Message 14 of 14
cekuhnen

yeah hence my question about what happened

this is 4 years back

Claas Kuhnen

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report