Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crashing when trying to enter Capture Design History

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Oceanconcepts
490 Views, 8 Replies

Crashing when trying to enter Capture Design History

I have a design with a modest number of components, all were created in Direct mode. I'm now trying to enter parametric mode- whenever I try to select that option Fusion crashes.  Is there some point at which it becomes impossible to capture design history? 

CER_93651148  and CER_93651182

- Ron

Mostly Mac- currently M1 MacBook Pro

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
AndrewSears
in reply to: Oceanconcepts

Ron,

Can you add the files or email to me?  andrew.sears@autodesk.com

Thanks,

Andy 

Message 3 of 9
Oceanconcepts
in reply to: AndrewSears

Sent a link to the file. After shelling one of the bodies, I had a crash when trying to use the split at parting line tool with the Split Body option. I used the Split Faces option, projected the edges to a sketch plane, and used that line to split the body, and it works perfectly. Perhaps this should be "project parting line to sketch plane". 

CER_93651802

- Ron

Message 4 of 9

Hi Ron,

Just a quick follow-up. It looks like the crash for the model that you sent to Andy is fixed in our latest code. That doesn't do you a lot of good at the moment, but it should be in the next update.

Thanks for supplying the model!

Jeff Strater (Fusion development)

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 5 of 9
kingson138
in reply to: jeff_strater

Hi Jeff, when is the next update? Would it include MOVE on offset plane, Scale on bodies and components, and Paste New or Independent on components?

Regards,
Kingson
Using Apple computers
Message 6 of 9

Thanks Jeff. It's not really a problem for me, as I've become quite happy in Direct mode, but would like to explore parametric design in Fusion a bit. I can really see a use for both. 

- Ron

Message 7 of 9

Hi Kingson,

I'm not actually sure exactly when the next update will be released, to be honest.  Unfortunately, none of the items that you mention are part of this update.  We are doing some cool things in the release, but, sadly, those are not some of them.  These are all important requirements, but of them, Paste New and Make Independent are probably the highest priority ones.  This is a pretty big project, and we are working on it, but we want to make sure that the quality is high enough for it to be useful.  Thanks for your patience!

Jeff Strater (Fusion development)

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 8 of 9
kingson138
in reply to: jeff_strater

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your reply. At the present moment, I suggest the Parametric Users to Lights out on all unrelated bodies, components except the ones to be copied. Then use the Base Feature Mirror function to mirror the component. then dissolve the mirror function. I think it works sometimes but it is a good way in order not to stop recording mode. Well the Scale Problem is the worse. There is no way to work around this other than leaving the recording mode. Except we can first scale, export to a different f3d file with the percentage name, click back. Import the scaled file back and keep the parametric as root. Then the recording can be preserved. Just lots of logic. But If I kept the scaled f3d file in a folder inside the original one on my local archive drive, even at the DATA section of Cloud, that should be fine. We need that for ring size since we have to use a fully combined file to scale to different sizes. The Parametric version can make changes. In fact for rings that is what we should do.

Regards,
Kingson
Using Apple computers
Message 9 of 9
kingson138
in reply to: Oceanconcepts

Hi Ron, Fusion 360 crashes almost all the time when selecting to go back to the Old DM mode, or from DM mode to Parametric Mode. That happened to more complex files. Now I save a new version, save to Archive, then I close the file.  I then reopen the file and perform the switching operations. It is better this way. With complex bodies I found that the Parametric Mode has really big performance issues. Maybe due to a large amount of TSpline Bodies, Sketches, etc.. that could not be deleted like in the DM mode.  However I believe the Crashes from the TimeLine Mode to old DM mode had been successfully reproduced by one of their software engineers and they could be fixing it now. Let's hope for the best. I really wish that i can scale components without going into DM mode.

Regards,
Kingson
Using Apple computers

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report