Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy and paste?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
rekom23
3176 Views, 5 Replies

Copy and paste?

It's a bit of a noob question, but i'm not able to find anyway to resolve my problem...

When you copy and paste a "component" how to don't make it act like a "clone". Whenever i change somethig on the "copied" component it affect the first coponent it was copied from.

I've tried several stuffs without success...

Like in this image bellow :

Capture d’écran 2014-06-08 à 20.49.14.png

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
donsmac
in reply to: rekom23

Copy the bodies inside the component, not the component itself, and go into create base feature and paste. Then exit base feature. Doing this disconnects it from it's past history.

It's the same when you copy and paste bodies between open documents, you have to to paste the bodies while in create base feature. You cannot paste a component yet.

Message 3 of 6
SallyYang
in reply to: rekom23

There are 3 ways to paste a new independent component in a design:

• Save Copy As & Insert: You can right click the target component and Save Copy As a new file, then insert(MODEL>>ASSEMBLE>>Insert) the saved component back to the current design. The inserted model should be independent.
  • Paste New: In Direct modeling(Do not capture Design History) environment, you can find a command "Paste New" just under "Paste" in context menu, it will create a new instance and you can add different feature to pasted model. As "Paste New" is not supported in Parametric modeling(Capture Design History) environment, so you have to convert your design to Direct modeling from command in below screenshot. 

Convert Design.png

• Copy/Paste Bodies: To keep the design history, you can copy/paste bodies instead of copy/paste a component with steps:

1) Create a New Component under the father node of target component

2) Select all the bodies under target component

3) Select the new created component and paste bodies to it

Let me know if you have issues on above solutions.

Regards,
Sally

Sally Yang
Software QA Engineer
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 4 of 6
donsmac
in reply to: SallyYang

• Thanks Sally for that, your third suggestion is really the best. I didn't know you could do that to break the body from it's history. 

• The first suggestion to insert takes maybe ten times longer to do with twice the mouse clicks for a two body component and for me always fails with an error popup saying circular dependeny found. Where and how is one supposed to know what that means? I think error messages should be more meaningful, helpful, i think. 

Even though I have never used this functionality I don't think it's meant for copy/paste, it's not very good at it. But I could see that someone might want to use it save out a number of parts for later use in other documents.

• Your second suggestion, even though, certainly is a possible way to break the design history of the component, you lose the design history for everthing else you've done. So not the best choice. A bad choice.

When copying between open documents, your still have to enter Create Base Feature in the document you are pasting into. Doesn't work to paste (from another doc.) into a 'new component' while the timeline is active. 

I learned that from a post you did some time ago. I was using Fusion for over a month before I discovered you could copy and paste between documents. Best tip ever.

Message 5 of 6
rekom23
in reply to: donsmac

Thanks Sally and Donsmac.

I definitly second Donsmac, the third suggestion is the best, and worked perfectly while not removing the history!

Message 6 of 6
Extraordinar
in reply to: donsmac

very helpfull!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report