Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't independently edit copied and pasted objects

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
samhh1
2269 Views, 7 Replies

Can't independently edit copied and pasted objects

So I copied and pasted an object I created, and when I go and edit one of them it changes the other as well, is there any way to stop that from happening, thanks for any help!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
AndrewSears
in reply to: samhh1

You can copy both bodies and components so I assume you are talking about one of these when you mention "objects".

- Copy/paste of bodies does not maintain a relationship.  

- Copy/paste of components with the same body in them will maintain the associative relationship.  If this is what you are talking about then RMB on the component in the browser and choose "Make Independent".  This will remove any associativity between the bodies.

make independent.png

Hope that helps.  Let us know if you are getting something different or this did not answer your questions.

Thanks,

Andy 

Message 3 of 8
samhh1
in reply to: AndrewSears

I don't seem to have that option, here's a picture.

Message 4 of 8
AndrewSears

You will need to switch from History mode to model mode.  This is currently blocked in History Mode.

If that is not helping, can you expand your browser and component 1 in another image?  

Andy 

Message 5 of 8
samhh1
in reply to: AndrewSears

Awesome, that worked, thanks!

Message 6 of 8
artygal12

I've been having the same issue, and I'd like to fix it.  What exactly do you mean by history mode vs. model mode?

Message 7 of 8
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: artygal12

Try this (make a backup-copy file first).

Right click the top node in the browser -

DM.png

Message 8 of 8
artygal12
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

I've actually found a way to do it. I had to copy the bodies rather than the component. Then pasting the bodies either into the work area or into a new component meant that I could roll back and make changes to the original that affected the copies, or not roll back and make changes that didn't affect the copies.

Also, there's now a crowd source file for all these things that take way too long to figure out. If you guys could write a couple of sentences about what you've figured out about the quirky copy-paste function in the link in this post: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Post-your-Tips-and-Tutorials/Creating-a-Fusion-360-Guide/m-p/5118658#M... , that would be really helpful as a whole.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report