Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocker: stitching multiple surfaces and reversing normal

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
878 Views, 5 Replies

Blocker: stitching multiple surfaces and reversing normal

I have created four sufaces by going through the scuplt enviroment however one of them is facing the wrong direction.  I don't see a way to flip the surface( reverse normal ).  Also, I can not figure out how to stitch the surfaces together. I tried using the combine tool and tried welding the vertices within the sculpt environment both of which didn't work.  Is it possible to do this or was this over looked for this release?  Thanks for your help.

Cheers

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
keqingsong
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

I have created four sufaces by going through the scuplt enviroment however one of them is facing the wrong direction.  I don't see a way to flip the surface( reverse normal ).  Also, I can not figure out how to stitch the surfaces together. I tried using the combine tool and tried welding the vertices within the sculpt environment both of which didn't work.  Is it possible to do this or was this over looked for this release?  Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Hello jirobisho, 

Here is the solution to your question. 

What you're trying to do is entirely possible in the create base feature command.

Screen Shot 2014-01-22 at 9.13.47 AM.png

This is where all the patch commands are made available.

Screen Shot 2014-01-22 at 9.14.00 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-01-22 at 9.16.52 AM.png

The reason why you're not able to stitch your surfaces together (as well as reverse normal) is because once you've created sculpt body and decided to finish form, the sculpt body is automatically converted to a solid body, which then enables the timeline to capture your commands onward. The commands you're trying to perform are direct manipulations, and direct modeling commands are not captured in history. By choosing Create BaseFeature, you're essentially enabling direct modeling in a history free state without going back into editing your scuplt body.

Does this help? 

Keqing Song
Autodesk Fusion Community Manager
Portland, Oregon, USA

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: keqingsong

Thanks for the help Keqing,  I will give it a shot and share my results. 

Message 4 of 6
deyop

I am not clear if you are attempting this with a parametric document or in a direct modeling document?  If you had created four seperate T-Spline bodies in a parametric document then stitching them together in the timeline won't work.  Even if you then use the four surfaces in a new BaseFeature stitching the surfaces together if they are out of tolerance will be a problem.  However, if you are working in a direct modeling environment just convert the T-Spline and open the Patch workspace.  The Stitch command is there and the surface direction will be irrelevant when you stitch them together.  The tolerance may need to be changed if you see any red lines between edges.

Stitching is anticipated to be supported in future releases of the parametric document.

Let me know if this is not addressing your question.  Screen captures are helpful.

Thanks

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: deyop

Hey Paul, I am working in the parametric history enviroment.  I created a four different t-spline surfaces uing the loft tool then finished form.  The surfaces I created used the same curve network so the tolerance should be close enough.  I was unable to create one big surface using this work flow so I did the four separate panels with the thought I would be able to stitch them together.  

When I have a moment today I will explore the create base form and see if that will work.  

surfacing project.png

Jean-Luc

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Hey Guys, thanks for your help this morning.  I didn't know how to access the patch environment in this update at first I thought the patch tools were left out of this version.  everything went smoothly once I was able to access the patch tools.  The form I made isn't pretty but I needed to know if workflow was still within Fusion 360.  This is a bit different from the last one.  

Surfacing_projet-complete.png

Paul, I was finally able to make a fairly decent surf kayak shape using t-splines.  I used a workflow you gave me a serval months back.  I spend a couple weeks watching every webinar on youtube I could find about t-splines to gain a better understanding of how to edit and control the shape.

T-spline_kayak-side.png

T-splines_Kayak-frontright.png

Again, thanks for all your help!

Cheers-

Jean-Luc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report