Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beta design will not recover

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
big_red_frog
2752 Views, 9 Replies

Beta design will not recover

Hi There,

Having now moved to the "gold" release, I have a problem recovering one of my beta designs.

I have tried both the manual export, which seems blocked in Beta for this particular design, as it will not open, and via the option in the new Fusion to recover beta files, where I get a

PLM 360 operation failed : Unknown exception

In the logFile.txt which is the same error I see when trying to open the file in the Beta.

Note I have tried on two computers, one running the Beta still and one on the launched product.

Unfortunately it is a file I really want to continue to work with, and I am concerned that with the storage being out of my control, who is responsible for the integrity of the data?

What details do you need from myself to dig out what has happened here?

( Note I am not at the computer that still has the alpha installed, so not sure I can recover specific details on the failing project / design until tonight, or I would list more info here )

Other designs have recovered, though I struggled to get the multiple designs in project to remain in a heirachy, it appeared I had to manually reconstruct that, also, I seem to of lost the versioning history, I only appear to have the latest ( which isnt critical for me, but concerning )

I would also echo the sentiment of others, where we were working in a cloud model, and the hosting of the projects / designs was on the autodesk side, why woudl autodesk force beta users to manually port their content? Rather than a transparent transition. It really doesnt look good froma trust in the cloud strategy perspective.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
philip.s
in reply to: big_red_frog

Our apologies for the inconveniences Anthony and thank you for providing the detailed issue description. I wanted to let you know that we're looking into potential causes and will get back to you ASAP!

Agreed that the design data transition from beta was not ideal, however from my understanding it was a limitation of the beta storage / server location, which changed with the Fusion 360 production release. Additionally on our end, there were several pre-launch maintenance tasks which prevented the ability to automatically transfer user data over to the new servers.

P.S. Not sure if it's going to be of any help, but would you mind posting the log file here when you get a chance?

Message 3 of 10
big_red_frog

Hi There,

I am now on the computer that still has the fusion 360 beta installed.

The log file from the computer that has the gold release only had positive confirmations for files recovered, and the single line referencing the failure, with no specifics on the file or issue itself. I can dig that out from the other PC tomorrow.

Meanwhile on the machine with the beta still installed, attempting to open GoPro_Connection design, under the gopro3 project, I get an error as attached image.

The file itself is the desgin from which I generated the STL at

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:73413

I would really like to recover it!

It surprises me that under the GoPro_Connection design, it only lists one version, as it was made in several passes, I woudl expect there to be mutliple versions saved by default.

Message 4 of 10
schneik-adsk

Can you direct message me your beta site name. Also, in order to try and recover this file, I need permission to access your beta site. Please let me know if that is O.K.
Kevin Schneider
Message 5 of 10
big_red_frog

Details sent via direct message.
Message 6 of 10
big_red_frog

Any progress?

Thanks.

Message 7 of 10
schneik-adsk

Still trying to figure this out. To be honest we can not make out what may have happened. We have never seen this situation as you describe.

We do see the project and the file in question. The log shows that it was created by the upload into beta site of a STL model. There is no record of a Fusion 360 data for the design in question. There is no record of a deign being there and deleted. So we are scratching our heads as to how the version history for fusion data could get replaced by the stl file. AS I said nothing like this has ever happened. As we dig in more can you look another time and see if you did do this in Inventor Fusion? Perhaps there is an f3d that you squirreled away someplace. In the meantime we are still assuming its a problem on our end and looking for the cause.
Kevin Schneider
Message 8 of 10
big_red_frog
in reply to: schneik-adsk

Thanks for checking the back end.

I followed Occam's razor in that the error was likely mine, I dont expect to encounter a "unique" error very often.

I had a grub around on my notebook again which is where I was mostly likely to of developed the design, and indeed found in the Inventor Fusion R1 install ( which I didnt even realise was still on this machine ) a .dwg file that has the original content, named clampbase.dwg

I have no idea how I got the stl into the fusion 360 beta now 😞

Too many computers, too many betas!

Message 9 of 10
schneik-adsk

So if I understand right, you are good now?
Kevin Schneider
Message 10 of 10
big_red_frog

Yes thanks, you may want to look at the error mode reporting in this case, so that the reason for failure is more clear, though if this is only a beta design porting lifecycle, then exposure should quickly be over.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report