Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple magic mouse

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
rpagewood
7319 Views, 11 Replies

Apple magic mouse

How do you turn off the gesture features when navigating with an apple magic mouse. The latest update has allowed the model to rotate/orbit by using touch gestures on the mouse and I find this very annoying when trying to create sketches or trying to do anything really. What was wrong with holding the cotrol to orbit as the previous version allowed?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
jakefowler
in reply to: rpagewood

Hi,

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with the new touch gesture controls. This new behavior is optional, and can be toggled in the Fusion 360 application preferences (click 'Fusion 360' in the menu bar, then 'Preferences…'). Unchecking 'Turn on Gestura' from the General settings will disable the Magic Mouse/Trackpad view manipulation gestures (you may need to close and reopen the active document for the change to take effect).

Thanks very much for highlighting your concerns, this is certainly valuable feedback – I'll forward this to our user experience designers, and see if we can investigate how we might improve the usability of this functionality in future.

Hope this helps, and if you're still encountering any problems in this area, please do let us know.

Many thanks,

Jake

Jake Fowler
Principal Experience Designer
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Message 3 of 12
rpagewood
in reply to: jakefowler

Hi Jake,

Thanks for the tip. I have tried this but everytime I close the document and reopen it F360 crashes completely and closes down.

Any ideas why?

Message 4 of 12
jakefowler

Hi,

No, that certainly shouldn't be happening! Does this problem occur for new documents you create, or only for an existing document you are working with? And do you get a prompt to submit an error report after the crash occurs? If you do, please submit one with the email address field completed, and let me know what email address you entered (if you'd rather not post it here, you can let me know by email at jake.fowler (at) autodesk.com), and I will follow up on this issue. 

Sorry to hear that you're still having problems, we'll do our best to get to the bottom of this.

Many thanks,

Jake

Jake Fowler
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Message 5 of 12
Scottdaly

Hi Jake,

I'm a bit of a newb with Fusion 360. I'm having an issue with my Apple Magic Mouse too. Yesterday I was able to orbit using the gesture on my mouse but than today I was only able to zoom. Also the control + mouse doesn't orbit either.

The "Turn on Gestura" option mentioned above doesn't seem to be in the general preference menu, am I looking in the wrong spot? "Use gesture-based view navigation" doesn't seem to help either.

I'm thinking about just switching to a standard mouse because even with the orbit the gesture feature on the mouse seem to be a bit problematic. The only thing I don't like is that in order to orbit I will need to hit that extra control button. Being a Rhino guy this drives me nuts. 🙂

Many thanks.

Scott

Message 6 of 12
kingson138

Hi Jake, how are you doing over there? Hot? I am happy to tell you that the new update solved the TrackPad problem. I am now using the Trackpad instead of the wired Wopen Joy upright mouse. Mainly because I had to change to a MacBook Pro with the latest I7 chip to use the new rendering. The MacBook Air I used to carry around does not work any more when rendering. It simply showed up a black screen but not crashed. The MacBook Pro works very well. I am also using TrackPad with my I7 Mac Mini and iMac which I could not a few months' ago. There is one problem that is not solved. If the TrackPad is disconnected during the the Fusion360 Session the Gesture is lost when the TrackPad is connected back. The only way to get that back is to close Fusion360 and back again.

I suggest to have the development team add a toggle switch or something for Wireless devices (for iMac and Mini I am also using Blue Tooth keyboard) so when disconnected and connected again, we can recycle the connection of Gesture Control back without restarting the program. I believe I gave you that work flow before and you tested that.

I think Fusion360 is not working too well with Magic Mouse. Actually the Magic Mouse is not a very easy device to use. It is a big heavy and slow. It is easy to move things unintentionally with that.  I suggest users to turn to TrackPad instead.

The good news is TrackPad is working beautifully and I had no problem with them so far. Wired (MacBook) or wireless. The others are fine except occasional program freezes during Push Pull operation using any mouse. But I am using Extrude instead to solve that program. Extrusion works fine.

Good work, the Timeline is working well, except scaling and paste new still not working but I get around those now.

Strangely speaking I had not seen too much crashes myself after the update. I found that if the user wait for about 10 minutes before touching anything, especially on the Preferemce "Material" the Mac will not crash. But then I am using latest OSX , maybe that is the case.

Have a nice holiday over there today (Monday is holiday in Shanghai I think).

Regards,
Kingson
Using Apple computers
Message 7 of 12
Oceanconcepts
in reply to: Scottdaly

All I can say is that I gave up on the Magic Mouse long ago, it's just too easy to screw things up with, at least with my clumsy fingers. While I've been a Mac user since the original one came out, mice have never been Apple's strong suit.  I'm much happier with a conventional 3 button / scroll wheel mouse (scroll wheel for zooming), and super happy with the 3D Connexion Space Navigator, particularly after the last Fusion update.

- Ron

Mostly Mac- currently M1 MacBook Pro

Message 8 of 12
kingson138
in reply to: Oceanconcepts

Hi Ron, I am actually using WowPen Joy upright mouse. But since the Trackpad seems to be working with Fusion now (except when Blue Tooth disconnected and connected again) I had found that it is also very good to use. I can draw with my forth little finger and the palm can also move in an upright position. Same postion as WowPen Joy. No elbow pain that way. Yes, Magic mouse is not a good device. Slow, hard to move and not easy to use at all.

Regards,
Kingson
Using Apple computers
Message 9 of 12
jakefowler
in reply to: Scottdaly

Hi Scott,

That should be the correct option to activate this (they are actually the same option: we just renamed it from ‘Turn on Gestura’ to ‘Use gesture-based view navigation’ a few releases back). You might need to enable the option, then close and reopen Fusion 360 to get it setup properly. Can you try this, and let me know if this doesn’t work for you?

As Kingson and Ron mentioned, in practice the Magic Mouse gestures can be a bit difficult to get used to. We'd like to get your feedback if you decide to use this (once we get it working for you!). I find the gestures on a MacBook trackpad/Magic Trackpad tend to feel more natural, but overall I find using a standard 3-button mouse most preferable for modelling work. With a 3DConnexion device, even better!

We are also looking into hotkey & control customisation. It might be a good idea to add a kudo and some comments to the IdeaStation item concerning this area.

Get in touch if this still isn't working for you,
Jake

Jake Fowler
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Message 10 of 12
jakefowler
in reply to: kingson138

Kingson - good to hear from you, and Happy Dragon Boat Festival for yesterday! It's quite nice here currently, but I’ve heard it will be really hot pretty soon (along with a lot of rain).

Yes, we have an issue open with the dev team about touch devices sometimes losing connection. I’m not sure what the status is on that but I will follow up.

And glad to hear things are generally running smoothly for you! Sorry to hear that your MacBook Air hit problems. Is that Mac on the latest version of Fusion 360? We did fix a few graphics memory related problems with some small updates, although I’m not sure that these would have solved the problem you describe. Let us know if you'd like us to look into this problem further.

Thanks!

Jake

Jake Fowler
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Message 11 of 12
kingson138

Hi Jake, my MacBook Air is running the latest Fusion360. I think Fusion exceeded the capability of the Air graphic card. I am using the new MacBook Pro for road show now. No need to look into it. I only use the trackpad on the MacBook Pro but I found that even the magic track pad is working well and can do the same thing as my wow pen joy mouse. The disconnection problem is not too important. It does not happen too often with the new OSX. Have a nice summer over there! Oh I like the new "web" command. It is good. The timeline works good too and did help me to correct design "back in time". I enjoy it!

Regards,
Kingson
Using Apple computers
Message 12 of 12
jaccostuitje

Hi, 

I was looking for a solution to use my Magic Mouse on my Mac to rotate and pan while designing.

Google came up with this thread, so I thought I post my findings here.

I don't want to part with my mouse. It should work with Fusion 360. Problem is it lacks a middle click button obviously. 
So I need a way to emulate a middle click on the Apple Magic Mouse.

The solution: download and install MagicPrefs completely for free: http://magicprefs.com

It can do a lot more than this, but for Fusion 360 the important thing is that it will give you the opportunity to define a middle click with your finger placed...well in the middle. 

Doen't work flawlessly and I experience some hickups here and there, but most of the time it works. No trackpad needed.

Thx MagicPrefs!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report