*Expert Elite*
big_red_frog

Aligning two components

292 Views, 13 Replies
09-18-2013 07:45 PM

Hi There,

I have two components that I want to ensure are aligned.

Historically I would use a single fixed joing, but in this case the rotation is not lining up.

I know the two parts are good and should have flat faces that can match.

My assumption was I could define two fixed joints at either corner, then align them both to a point on the second object and between them they woudl exactly constrain.

However, when assembling the second joint, it breaks the first one.

How can I get fusion to attempt to align both joints and therefore fix the alignment in all dimensions?

Its hard to see in this image, but the joint at the bottom is perfectly aligned apart from its rotation.

The joint at the top wont pull into the back face on teh blue object which would then ensure full alignment.

alignmentProblem.jpg

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Employee
Mike.Zhang

Re: Aligning two components

09-19-2013 02:51 AM in reply to: big_red_frog

Can't find the details from this image.

It'll be helpful if you can attached the model.

Regards,

Mike.Zhang
SQA Engineer
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Please use plain text.
Product Support
AndrewSears

09-19-2013 10:59 AM in reply to: big_red_frog

You can't have a rigid joint (you are calling it fixed) to start with and expect the parts to move after applying any other joints.  Can you try making the lower joint a revolution joint or ball joint and see if that gets you in the direction you want?

This does bring up something for us to look at.  I created 2 parts (1 curved, 1 flat) and tried to assemble them.  I can apply a revolution joint at one end but do not see a way to make the second connection with Joints.  I can do this and get very close by modifying the angle but that does not get you to "exactly matching" conditions.

If you can supply the file we can take a look and see if  a better solution is available.

Thanks,

Andy 

Please use plain text.
*Expert Elite*
big_red_frog

09-19-2013 12:22 PM in reply to: AndrewSears

Hi There,

I thought I had captured it in the image, but I see the browser is not there, but anyway, moving to a revolution was my next experiment.

Your description is spot on

"I can apply a revolution joint at one end but do not see a way to make the second connection with Joints.  I can do this and get very close by modifying the angle but that does not get you to "exactly matching" conditions."

I will have to look tonight if I can export out my example, but it should be relatively easy to create a trivial example with 2 cubes on random axis, and attempting to get them corner to corner aligned.

Please use plain text.
Product Support
AndrewSears

09-19-2013 01:08 PM in reply to: big_red_frog

Very good.  When you supply a simplified example we can talk it over with the team and get back to you.

Thanks,

Andy 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
stanh1

09-19-2013 01:58 PM in reply to: AndrewSears

I am very interested in the answer you come up with for this issue.

Please use plain text.
Product Support
AndrewSears

09-19-2013 02:11 PM in reply to: stanh1

Did both parts come from one single part that you split?  

Until we get a better answer for you, try creating a contact set between the two parts.  Create a joint with open DOF's at the lower end of the parts and rotate part1 into part2.  The contact should allow you to get as close as possible as long as part1 does not need to pass though part2.

Let us know how they interact.  

Andy 

Please use plain text.
*Expert Elite*
Oceanconcepts

09-19-2013 02:57 PM in reply to: AndrewSears

If these parts have coincident points and edges, I think you can do this fairly easily using construction points and probably axis through edge, and the Align Components menu option. They need to be separate components. 

Find mating edges, and with each individual component you want to align activated in turn (so the construction feature is associated with it and not in the root of the drawing) create an axis through the mating edges. Then activate the root component again, select these two axis construction features, and a right click will reveal the Align Components option.  Depending on the geometry you may need to use points at vertex or other construction features as alignment points, and several iterations, but I believe this will work.  This is related to a discussion Asko and I are having here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Request-a-Feature-Fusion-360/Snapping-in-3D/idi-p/4435777

Here is a movie showing this working with midplanes.  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71299384/Position%20Components%20-%20Align.mp4

There should really be some references to this tool in the learning center. It's hard to find. 

Ron

- Ron

27" iMac Core i5, OS 10.8.5, 8GB RAM
Please use plain text.
Board Manager
Phil.E

09-20-2013 10:46 AM in reply to: big_red_frog

The measure tool can also help with finding values, such as angle.

Where you can enter values in dialog boxes, there should be a dropdown that includes Measure.

measure_option.png

Phil Eichmiller
Software QA Engineer
Fusion Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Please use plain text.
*Expert Elite*
big_red_frog

09-23-2013 07:18 PM in reply to: Phil.E

So here is an example.

I appreciate the comments on measuring and calculating angles, but in the end we want to be able to take two points on objects we know should be alignable ( or even an option for mid / left / right where they are not ) and constrain the objects together.

Attached I have a simple design, where a sketch is used to create two objects that have at least two aligned corners but no shared plane on those corners, trying with cubes doesn't work as the joint is naturally aligned on the faces, so if the faces match it is automatically aligned.

sketch.PNG

Extrude the two objects up from the sketch, place one on top of the other, for the desired final alignment.

TwoBlocks.PNG

Arbitrarily rotate the two blocks and add joints at the corners that you know you should be able to align with the other block.

MoveAndJoint.PNG

Now find a way to get those joints on the red block aligned to the relevant corners on the blue block, without fudging angles...

Please use plain text.