Hardware (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wich computer do we have to buy to use with Map 3D 2012?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
cad231
1163 Views, 4 Replies

Wich computer do we have to buy to use with Map 3D 2012?

Hello, we are considering to buy several computers as Map 3D 2012 workstations. We are considering to buy Compaq Pro 6200 ref XY107ET (core i5-2400, 2x2GB PC3-10600, 500GB 7200rpm sata-6g, integrated intel HD graphics 2000, Windows 7 professional 64 bits) and HP LA2306X WLED monitor (23", 16:9, 1920x1080@60GHz, VGA, DVI, DP). What do you think about it? Thanks a lot.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
TravisNave
in reply to: cad231

Integrated graphics = Smiley Mad

You should consider purchasing an additional dedicated video card from the recommended certified card list.  Also, 4GB RAM is kind of light for a 64-bit OS.  RAM is cheap.  Bulk up.  System requirements are only going to continue to go up!

http://usa.autodesk.com/autocad-map-3d/system-requirements/

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 5
cad231
in reply to: TravisNave

OK. It's easy to increase memory with HP 2GB modules (4x2GB) but can be expensive if we use HP 4GB modules (2x4GB). Kingston 4GB modules are not so expensive.

With this configuration, we have problems to find an HP and Autodesk certified graphics card. HP certifies for this computer 4 graphics cards:

• AMD FirePro 2270 512MB, VGA, DHx16
  • AMD Radeon HD 6350 DH
  • AMD Radeon HD 6450 DP (DVI-I) 512MB PCIe x16
  • AMD Radeon HD 6570 DP (1GB) PCIe x16

But none of them are certified by Autodesk. I only found AMD Radeon HD 6450M for toshiba tecra in Autodesk mobile graphics card list as "certified" and "recommended" (I suspect that it is not the same card that HP sells with desktop computers). On the other hand, HP Compaq 6200 Pro computer has an intergrated Intel HD graphics 2000 that can be certified by Autodesk: It appears in Autodesk certified graphics list as "Intel HD Graphics Family" with 2 drivers:

• Intel driver release 1522164 for Intel HD Graphics 3000
  • Intel driver release 15215

I dont know if this last driver includes HD Graphics 2000.

Appart of them, you have only the option to use an Autodesk-certified HP-non certified graphics card.

HP suggests you to buy a workstation Z210 ref. KK779ET: Intel Xeon E3-1240, 8GB DDR3, Intel C206, 1TB, Windows 7 professional 64 bits and one of the following graphics cards:

• Nvidia quadro 400 512MB
  • Nvidia quadro 600 1GB
  • ATI Firepro V3800 512MB
  • Ati Firepro V4800 1GB

All these cards are "certified" and "recommended" by Autodesk. I have to buy 15 of that computer and I am not sure that we need this kind of computer. Users are draftsmen who enter lines into a project or GIS. Usually they do not take 3D views or display orthophotos. That is the reason to choose a desktop computer with integrated graphics card. An integrated graphics card will consume shared memory (it can be solved increasing memory to 8GB) and will be poor in 3D processing (probably will be enought for us).

The reason to buy a closed configuration as HP computers is to prevent compatibility problems. Perhaps another vendor has more possibilities in graphics cards.

Thanks a lot. 

Message 4 of 5
OMCUSNR

Other vendors, yes!  Try XI computers or Alienware.  These are "gaming" computers, but wil handle acad & map with ease.  Also, have you looked locally?  Find a local firm that will build you a system(s) to your specs.  They want to keep you happy, and will make what you want, not what HP wants to sell you.

Take a look at my sig.  With a case & 650W ps, card reader & dvd burner, I broght it in just under $1400 with parts from newegg, and it'll handle C3d/Map just ducky.  I went with a Velociraptor by Western Digital because it is fast & stable.  Look for a system using the "Sandy Bridge" Intel processors (In your case an I-5) should do just fine).  Make sure the video cards can handle two monitors.  Mine is not "approved" by Acad, but is built by Nvidia, and does just fine with no problems.

HP puts out good machines, but you buy stuff THEY want you to buy, not what you need or can get better parts at the same cost.  They use mediocre parts for best return to them, not you.

Reid

Homebuilt box: I5-2500k, MSI P67A-GD65, 12gig DDR3 1600 ram, ASUS ENGTX460 Video card, WD Velociraptor WD4500HLHX HD, Win 7 64 pro.
Message 5 of 5
entropist

All other issues aside... I wouldn't choose HP for any business related PC purchases at the moment. Are you aware they are moving out of the PC business and intent to spin off that branch of the company? There is no telling what the PC division of the existing HP will turn into... HP itself is becoming a cloud services company, as that is what their new CEO knows how to do.

Getting back to your primary question - I would get a computer that meets mid to high level gaming specs (that's basically what a cad rig is anyway). Unless you're doing 3-d or rendering don't worry too much about certified video cards, although I would recommend discreet rather than integrated graphics. I would look for - fastest CPU (not highest # of cores), most RAM, best discreet graphics card - in that order.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report