Hardware (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why no improvement with better video card?

33 REPLIES 33
Message 1 of 34
Anonymous
1063 Views, 33 Replies

Why no improvement with better video card?

I really would appreciate some help here. I was frustrated with the slowness of my on board video 'card' to hide and render large solid models (~10Mb) so I invested in a mid range video card. It is an NVIDIA Quadro FX500 128Mb DDR memory full 128bit floating point precision pipeline, 8 pixels per clockrendering engine. Hardware accelerated antialiased points and lines, Hardware OpenGL overlay planes. This lot sounds as it should improve things a bit, but I am seeing no improvement whatever in AutoCAD performance. Is there something I can do, check, install, uninstall, adjust to make this expensive dog earn its keep?
33 REPLIES 33
Message 2 of 34
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Check under device manager to make sure that your onboard card is disabled (exclamation point inside of a yellow circle). If it is not disabled then go into the properties and uninstall the driver. You can also go into desktop properties and check your settings tab because way back when I did it windows installed a 2nd monitor and the new adapter on the 2nd monitor with the onboard on my primary monitor. Hope this helps. Dan R.
Message 3 of 34
Anonymous

What kind of rendering are you doing? Hiding is a processor intensive thing, as is photorealistic rendering - the video card has nothing to do with it. An old GeForce 256 w/ 32mb wouldn't be any worse. Only those rendering cards that have specifically written drivers to off-load the processing from the machine to the card might help - but most of those are still in the multi-thousand dollar range. Now, shaded 3d-orbit is where the video card helps in Acad (but only after the model is shaded for the first time - the initial shading is still up to the processor to complete). If that's what you are talking about, then you'll have to check with the previous suggestions and make sure Acad is using any specific driver that might be provided by nVidia for your card in the Acad Options dialog.
Message 4 of 34
Anonymous

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 21:33:05 +1000, "Grahame Ede" wrote: >I was frustrated with the slowness of my on board video 'card' to hide and >render large solid models (~10Mb) so I invested in a mid range video card. Okay, first off, a video card's 3D capabilities do NOT affect render times; rendering is almost completely CPU bound (unless you are using DirectX9 shaders and have a video card and app that uses them). I believe performing a hidden line removal in AutoCAD is similarly CPU bound. To get faster renders you need a faster computer (sorry). A high end card allows you to zoom/3d orbit a wireframe / shaded model in real time, making the content creation phase of your workflow much more efficient, but does bupkis for rendering. >It is an NVIDIA Quadro FX500 128Mb DDR memory full 128bit floating point >precision pipeline, 8 pixels per clockrendering engine. Hardware >accelerated antialiased points and lines, Hardware OpenGL overlay planes. >This lot sounds as it should improve things a bit, but I am seeing no >improvement whatever in AutoCAD performance. >Is there something I can do, check, install, uninstall, adjust to make this >expensive dog earn its keep? Well, the FX500 is actually a lower-end card (the slowest of the Quadro line). To gain any real improvements in 3D wireframe operations, you would have needed to step up to a Quadro FX1100 or higher. Of course, these cost more money :( If you check this page out: http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_11761.html You'll see that the QuadroFX500 calculates about 45 million triangles/1.1 billion texels per second. The Quadro FX1110, in contrast, pushes out 100 million triangles/3.2 billion texels a second, or around 2.5x the performance. Note that the raw performance of the 1100, 3000, 300g and 4000 are really close, but much farther away than the FX500, making the 1100 the "sweet spot" best buy in terms of price/performance Besides that, I've found major improvements to the Cadalyst AutoCAD benchmarks when I did 2 things: 1. Use the hardware WOPENGL driver in AutoCAD's Display configuration (Options - System, 3D Display Properties), and check Geometry Acceleration; and 2. Disable Vertical Sync in the video driver's Display Properties. My benchmark scores easily doubled. Matt mstachoni@comcast.net mstachoni@bhhtait.com
Message 5 of 34
Anonymous

Dan, Thanks for your reply. I had followed the directions exactly when I installed the card which included the uninstalling of the existing video driver before plugging the card in. The Device Manager does not list an onboard card an I do not have any exclamation points inside of a yellow circle. There is a 'Display Adaptor' item which is set to NVIDIA Quadro FX500 by Leadtek. Desk top settings do not show a second monitor installed. -- Regards, Grahame Ede "Dan Reynolds" wrote in message news:40c6f7a7$1_3@newsprd01... > Check under device manager to make sure that your onboard card is disabled > (exclamation point inside of a yellow circle). If it is not disabled then > go into the properties and uninstall the driver. You can also go into > desktop properties and check your settings tab because way back when I did > it windows installed a 2nd monitor and the new adapter on the 2nd monitor > with the onboard on my primary monitor. Hope this helps. > > Dan R. > >
Message 6 of 34
Anonymous

Hi Matt, My replies are in the body of your reply. "Matt Stachoni" wrote in message news:en5ec09vnd0t9dfi3pu1u7pto58chik0me@4ax.com... > On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 21:33:05 +1000, "Grahame Ede" wrote: > > >I was frustrated with the slowness of my on board video 'card' to hide and > >render large solid models (~10Mb) so I invested in a mid range video card. > > Okay, first off, a video card's 3D capabilities do NOT affect render times; > rendering is almost completely CPU bound (unless you are using DirectX9 shaders > and have a video card and app that uses them). I believe performing a hidden > line removal in AutoCAD is similarly CPU bound. To get faster renders you need a > faster computer (sorry). I did not know that more memory on the video card would not help, thanks for telling me that. My computer has an MSI 845GE P4 mainboard with 1Gb of RAM. Two 80Gb hard drives, C: for Programs F: for Virtual Ram (4Gb) and Data files. I am concerned that I am not getting the performance I should. I don't expect miracles, but waiting over an houre for a drawing to hide is a bit much. > A high end card allows you to zoom/3d orbit a wireframe / shaded model in real > time, making the content creation phase of your workflow much more efficient, > but does bupkis for rendering. OK > > >It is an NVIDIA Quadro FX500 128Mb DDR memory full 128bit floating point > >precision pipeline, 8 pixels per clockrendering engine. Hardware > >accelerated antialiased points and lines, Hardware OpenGL overlay planes. > >This lot sounds as it should improve things a bit, but I am seeing no > >improvement whatever in AutoCAD performance. > > >Is there something I can do, check, install, uninstall, adjust to make this > >expensive dog earn its keep? > > Well, the FX500 is actually a lower-end card (the slowest of the Quadro line). > To gain any real improvements in 3D wireframe operations, you would have needed > to step up to a Quadro FX1100 or higher. Of course, these cost more money :( > > If you check this page out: > http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_11761.html > > You'll see that the QuadroFX500 calculates about 45 million triangles/1.1 > billion texels per second. The Quadro FX1110, in contrast, pushes out 100 > million triangles/3.2 billion texels a second, or around 2.5x the performance. > > Note that the raw performance of the 1100, 3000, 300g and 4000 are really close, > but much farther away than the FX500, making the 1100 the "sweet spot" best buy > in terms of price/performance Had I known what I was buying, I would have spent the extra few dollars. > Besides that, I've found major improvements to the Cadalyst AutoCAD benchmarks > when I did 2 things: 1. Use the hardware WOPENGL driver in AutoCAD's Display > configuration (Options - System, 3D Display Properties), and check Geometry > Acceleration; and 2. Disable Vertical Sync in the video driver's Display > Properties. My benchmark scores easily doubled. You have gone to so much trouble for me, I am very grateful. I looked into the above settings and the only thing I had different was the vertical sync, which I turned off. I would be grateful for any other advice you could give in checking my system is working properly. Regards, Grahame > > Matt > mstachoni@comcast.net > mstachoni@bhhtait.com
Message 7 of 34
Anonymous

You have found out the same thing I have. I have flip flopped a fx 5600 $89 and a quadro 750 xgl $450 (at my time of purchase) and concluded there is really no performance increase based on the price. In fact the quadro crashed many more times than the cheap fx 5600. You must have to go to the real expensive cards to see any improvement. By the way those benchmark tests which test milli seconds aren't really noticeable in average cad drafting. So, the lesson I learned is spend the money on ram and cpu speed and a average video card IMHO "Grahame Ede" wrote in message news:40c82d0f_2@newsprd01... > Hi Matt, > > My replies are in the body of your reply. > > "Matt Stachoni" wrote in message > news:en5ec09vnd0t9dfi3pu1u7pto58chik0me@4ax.com... > > On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 21:33:05 +1000, "Grahame Ede" > wrote: > > > > >I was frustrated with the slowness of my on board video 'card' to hide > and > > >render large solid models (~10Mb) so I invested in a mid range video > card. > > > > Okay, first off, a video card's 3D capabilities do NOT affect render > times; > > rendering is almost completely CPU bound (unless you are using DirectX9 > shaders > > and have a video card and app that uses them). I believe performing a > hidden > > line removal in AutoCAD is similarly CPU bound. To get faster renders you > need a > > faster computer (sorry). > > I did not know that more memory on the video card would not help, thanks for > telling me that. > > My computer has an MSI 845GE P4 mainboard with 1Gb of RAM. Two 80Gb hard > drives, C: for Programs F: for Virtual Ram (4Gb) and Data files. I am > concerned that I am not getting the performance I should. I don't expect > miracles, but waiting over an houre for a drawing to hide is a bit much. > > > A high end card allows you to zoom/3d orbit a wireframe / shaded model in > real > > time, making the content creation phase of your workflow much more > efficient, > > but does bupkis for rendering. > > OK > > > > >It is an NVIDIA Quadro FX500 128Mb DDR memory full 128bit floating point > > >precision pipeline, 8 pixels per clockrendering engine. Hardware > > >accelerated antialiased points and lines, Hardware OpenGL overlay > planes. > > >This lot sounds as it should improve things a bit, but I am seeing no > > >improvement whatever in AutoCAD performance. > > > > >Is there something I can do, check, install, uninstall, adjust to make > this > > >expensive dog earn its keep? > > > > Well, the FX500 is actually a lower-end card (the slowest of the Quadro > line). > > To gain any real improvements in 3D wireframe operations, you would have > needed > > to step up to a Quadro FX1100 or higher. Of course, these cost more money > :( > > > > If you check this page out: > > http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_11761.html > > > > You'll see that the QuadroFX500 calculates about 45 million triangles/1.1 > > billion texels per second. The Quadro FX1110, in contrast, pushes out 100 > > million triangles/3.2 billion texels a second, or around 2.5x the > performance. > > > > Note that the raw performance of the 1100, 3000, 300g and 4000 are really > close, > > but much farther away than the FX500, making the 1100 the "sweet spot" > best buy > > in terms of price/performance > > Had I known what I was buying, I would have spent the extra few dollars. > > > Besides that, I've found major improvements to the Cadalyst AutoCAD > benchmarks > > when I did 2 things: 1. Use the hardware WOPENGL driver in AutoCAD's > Display > > configuration (Options - System, 3D Display Properties), and check > Geometry > > Acceleration; and 2. Disable Vertical Sync in the video driver's Display > > Properties. My benchmark scores easily doubled. > > You have gone to so much trouble for me, I am very grateful. I looked into > the above settings and the only thing I had different was the vertical sync, > which I turned off. > > I would be grateful for any other advice you could give in checking my > system is working properly. > > Regards, > > Grahame > > > > Matt > > mstachoni@comcast.net > > mstachoni@bhhtait.com > >
Message 8 of 34
Anonymous

It is more a case of application than how many dollars you spend on the video card. Some applications are written to make more use of the video card than the CPU. Those applications will respond to the better video cards, such as the Quadro4 750 XGL. 2D drafting programs such as AutoCAD do not show as noticeable improvement, even with application specific drivers and software accelerators, as 3D design programs such as Inventor. kstillwell wrote: > You have found out the same thing I have. I have flip flopped a fx 5600 $89 > and a quadro 750 xgl $450 (at my time of purchase) and concluded there is > really no performance increase based on the price. In fact the quadro > crashed many more times than the cheap fx 5600. You must have to go to the > real expensive cards to see any improvement. By the way those benchmark > tests which test milli seconds aren't really noticeable in average cad > drafting. > So, the lesson I learned is spend the money on ram and cpu speed and a > average video card IMHO > -- Hal Gwin Mechanical Designer Xenogen W2K SP4 Dell Precision 650 Dual 2.66 GHz Xeon 1.5 GB DDR Quadro4 900 XGL nVidia 6.14.10.5214 w/registry update Dell UltraSharp 19" LCD
Message 9 of 34
Anonymous

kstillwell I would have to concur with you on your comments. I had an old ELSA card in my computer and several folks here thought that it was a low end card and was hampering my graphics speed. I got my company to buy an NVIDIA Quadro4 750XGL because it was supposed to be at least a mid-range card and much much better that the ELSA. Well I can tell you that it was a waste of money. I didn't do any benchmark tests, but it is obvious (to me) that the ELSA card was much better during 3D orbit commands than the NVIDIA. I have tried many of the settings suggested here and have not noticed a difference between them. The biggest slowdown I see is when I have shademode set to hidden and then use 3D orbit. I also have tried the newest and some older drivers with the NVIDIA to see if that would help, to no avail. Unfortunately the IT department had some turnover in personnel and no one can find the ELSA card, which I would love to have back, if only to do some real benchmark testing with. Having said that, I still very much appreciate the advice given here. I am just relating what I experienced. Kent Elrod "kstillwell" wrote in message news:40c8464a$1_2@newsprd01... > You have found out the same thing I have. I have flip flopped a fx 5600 $89 > and a quadro 750 xgl $450 (at my time of purchase) and concluded there is > really no performance increase based on the price. In fact the quadro > crashed many more times than the cheap fx 5600. You must have to go to the > real expensive cards to see any improvement. By the way those benchmark > tests which test milli seconds aren't really noticeable in average cad > drafting. > So, the lesson I learned is spend the money on ram and cpu speed and a > average video card IMHO > > "Grahame Ede" wrote in message > news:40c82d0f_2@newsprd01... > > Hi Matt, > > > > My replies are in the body of your reply. > > > > "Matt Stachoni" wrote in message > > news:en5ec09vnd0t9dfi3pu1u7pto58chik0me@4ax.com... > > > On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 21:33:05 +1000, "Grahame Ede" > > wrote: > > > > > > >I was frustrated with the slowness of my on board video 'card' to hide > > and > > > >render large solid models (~10Mb) so I invested in a mid range video > > card. > > > > > > Okay, first off, a video card's 3D capabilities do NOT affect render > > times; > > > rendering is almost completely CPU bound (unless you are using DirectX9 > > shaders > > > and have a video card and app that uses them). I believe performing a > > hidden > > > line removal in AutoCAD is similarly CPU bound. To get faster renders > you > > need a > > > faster computer (sorry). > > > > I did not know that more memory on the video card would not help, thanks > for > > telling me that. > > > > My computer has an MSI 845GE P4 mainboard with 1Gb of RAM. Two 80Gb hard > > drives, C: for Programs F: for Virtual Ram (4Gb) and Data files. I am > > concerned that I am not getting the performance I should. I don't expect > > miracles, but waiting over an houre for a drawing to hide is a bit much. > > > > > A high end card allows you to zoom/3d orbit a wireframe / shaded model > in > > real > > > time, making the content creation phase of your workflow much more > > efficient, > > > but does bupkis for rendering. > > > > OK > > > > > > >It is an NVIDIA Quadro FX500 128Mb DDR memory full 128bit floating > point > > > >precision pipeline, 8 pixels per clockrendering engine. Hardware > > > >accelerated antialiased points and lines, Hardware OpenGL overlay > > planes. > > > >This lot sounds as it should improve things a bit, but I am seeing no > > > >improvement whatever in AutoCAD performance. > > > > > > >Is there something I can do, check, install, uninstall, adjust to make > > this > > > >expensive dog earn its keep? > > > > > > Well, the FX500 is actually a lower-end card (the slowest of the Quadro > > line). > > > To gain any real improvements in 3D wireframe operations, you would have > > needed > > > to step up to a Quadro FX1100 or higher. Of course, these cost more > money > > :( > > > > > > If you check this page out: > > > http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_11761.html > > > > > > You'll see that the QuadroFX500 calculates about 45 million > triangles/1.1 > > > billion texels per second. The Quadro FX1110, in contrast, pushes out > 100 > > > million triangles/3.2 billion texels a second, or around 2.5x the > > performance. > > > > > > Note that the raw performance of the 1100, 3000, 300g and 4000 are > really > > close, > > > but much farther away than the FX500, making the 1100 the "sweet spot" > > best buy > > > in terms of price/performance > > > > Had I known what I was buying, I would have spent the extra few dollars. > > > > > Besides that, I've found major improvements to the Cadalyst AutoCAD > > benchmarks > > > when I did 2 things: 1. Use the hardware WOPENGL driver in AutoCAD's > > Display > > > configuration (Options - System, 3D Display Properties), and check > > Geometry > > > Acceleration; and 2. Disable Vertical Sync in the video driver's Display > > > Properties. My benchmark scores easily doubled. > > > > You have gone to so much trouble for me, I am very grateful. I looked > into > > the above settings and the only thing I had different was the vertical > sync, > > which I turned off. > > > > I would be grateful for any other advice you could give in checking my > > system is working properly. > > > > Regards, > > > > Grahame > > > > > > Matt > > > mstachoni@comcast.net > > > mstachoni@bhhtait.com > > > > > >
Message 10 of 34
Anonymous

Graphics card performance will only be as good as your cpu and/or RAM performance. What are these specs? "Grahame Ede" wrote in message news:40c6f575$1_2@newsprd01... > I really would appreciate some help here. > > I was frustrated with the slowness of my on board video 'card' to hide and > render large solid models (~10Mb) so I invested in a mid range video card. > > It is an NVIDIA Quadro FX500 128Mb DDR memory full 128bit floating point > precision pipeline, 8 pixels per clockrendering engine. Hardware > accelerated antialiased points and lines, Hardware OpenGL overlay planes. > This lot sounds as it should improve things a bit, but I am seeing no > improvement whatever in AutoCAD performance. > > Is there something I can do, check, install, uninstall, adjust to make this > expensive dog earn its keep? > > >
Message 11 of 34
Anonymous

Hi Ti, My computer spec is:- My computer has an MSI 845GE P4 mainboard with 1Gb of RAM. Two 80Gb hard drives, C: for Programs F: for Virtual Ram (4Gb) and Data files. I am concerned that I am not getting the performance I should. I don't expect miracles, but waiting over an hour for a drawing to hide is a bit much. -- Regards, Grahame Ede "Ti" wrote in message news:40c8ace5$1_3@newsprd01... > Graphics card performance will only be as good as your cpu and/or RAM > performance. What are these specs? > > "Grahame Ede" wrote in message > news:40c6f575$1_2@newsprd01... > > I really would appreciate some help here. > > > > I was frustrated with the slowness of my on board video 'card' to hide and > > render large solid models (~10Mb) so I invested in a mid range video card. > > > > It is an NVIDIA Quadro FX500 128Mb DDR memory full 128bit floating point > > precision pipeline, 8 pixels per clockrendering engine. Hardware > > accelerated antialiased points and lines, Hardware OpenGL overlay planes. > > This lot sounds as it should improve things a bit, but I am seeing no > > improvement whatever in AutoCAD performance. > > > > Is there something I can do, check, install, uninstall, adjust to make > this > > expensive dog earn its keep? > > > > > > > >
Message 12 of 34
Anonymous

What speed is your cpu? "Grahame Ede" wrote in message news:40c92dd6$1_2@newsprd01... > Hi Ti, > > My computer spec is:- > > My computer has an MSI 845GE P4 mainboard with 1Gb of RAM. Two 80Gb hard > drives, C: for Programs F: for Virtual Ram (4Gb) and Data files. I am > concerned that I am not getting the performance I should. I don't expect > miracles, but waiting over an hour for a drawing to hide is a bit much. > > > -- > Regards, > > Grahame Ede > > "Ti" wrote in message > news:40c8ace5$1_3@newsprd01... > > Graphics card performance will only be as good as your cpu and/or RAM > > performance. What are these specs? > > > > "Grahame Ede" wrote in message > > news:40c6f575$1_2@newsprd01... > > > I really would appreciate some help here. > > > > > > I was frustrated with the slowness of my on board video 'card' to hide > and > > > render large solid models (~10Mb) so I invested in a mid range video > card. > > > > > > It is an NVIDIA Quadro FX500 128Mb DDR memory full 128bit floating point > > > precision pipeline, 8 pixels per clockrendering engine. Hardware > > > accelerated antialiased points and lines, Hardware OpenGL overlay > planes. > > > This lot sounds as it should improve things a bit, but I am seeing no > > > improvement whatever in AutoCAD performance. > > > > > > Is there something I can do, check, install, uninstall, adjust to make > > this > > > expensive dog earn its keep? > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 13 of 34
Anonymous

Hi Ti, The Processor is 2.40bGHz, 533MHz System Bus, 512-KB L2 Advanced Transfer Cache. -- Regards, Grahame Ede "Ti" wrote in message news:40c989f2_1@newsprd01... > What speed is your cpu? > > "Grahame Ede" wrote in message > news:40c92dd6$1_2@newsprd01... > > Hi Ti, > > > > My computer spec is:- > > > > My computer has an MSI 845GE P4 mainboard with 1Gb of RAM. Two 80Gb hard > > drives, C: for Programs F: for Virtual Ram (4Gb) and Data files. I am > > concerned that I am not getting the performance I should. I don't expect > > miracles, but waiting over an hour for a drawing to hide is a bit much. > > > > > > -- > > Regards, > > > > Grahame Ede > > > > "Ti" wrote in message > > news:40c8ace5$1_3@newsprd01... > > > Graphics card performance will only be as good as your cpu and/or RAM > > > performance. What are these specs? > > > > > > "Grahame Ede" wrote in message > > > news:40c6f575$1_2@newsprd01... > > > > I really would appreciate some help here. > > > > > > > > I was frustrated with the slowness of my on board video 'card' to hide > > and > > > > render large solid models (~10Mb) so I invested in a mid range video > > card. > > > > > > > > It is an NVIDIA Quadro FX500 128Mb DDR memory full 128bit floating > point > > > > precision pipeline, 8 pixels per clockrendering engine. Hardware > > > > accelerated antialiased points and lines, Hardware OpenGL overlay > > planes. > > > > This lot sounds as it should improve things a bit, but I am seeing no > > > > improvement whatever in AutoCAD performance. > > > > > > > > Is there something I can do, check, install, uninstall, adjust to make > > > this > > > > expensive dog earn its keep? > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 14 of 34
Anonymous

That's about a year old now, is it not? 3G and 800bus would see improvements. Ram and drives (and video card) can only go so far: with those, you are really buying 'elbow/knee' room, not speed. AutoCAD is not the best/fastest rendering engine to use: it's OK if that is all you have, and it really does not take advantage on any new graphics cards features. VIZ or 3DMax from Autodesk for rendering, 3rd party add-ons for AutoCAD help alot too. -- Dean Saadallah Add-on products for LT http://www.pendean.com/lt --
Message 15 of 34
Anonymous

Are your two hard drive setup on different IDE channels or are they Master & Slave on one channel? Is DMA enabled for the drives? Having your Data & VM on one hard drive my also be a slowdown, that one hard drive is reading the data and writing it to VM making it do alot of work, while the other one is idle most the time. Have you checked your RAM settings (Speed, timmings etc) is quite common for motheboards to incorrectly detect the SPD settings causing your Ram to run slower than it should. Try this little program http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php to check your settings, post a screen shot of the cpu & memory tabs back here for us to check. Do you have a Anti virus program scanning your data files, possibly slowing down the whole process? Do you defrag you F: drive often? Do you have alot of unneed processes hoggin CPU time? Is all the data local, or is AutoCAD accessing some across a network? -- Paul Houlker Rimex Supply Ltd www.rimex.com
Message 16 of 34
Anonymous

Hi, is it safe to say that having windows set to 4gb of virtual ram would slow down the system a lot ? as it would make the memory to "write" on a slow disk instead of perhaps favour physical ram ? Just curious Also check if DirectX features are working. If not you might have a bad driver innstallation. Type dxdiag in "start-menu\run" Regards, Jorgen "Grahame Ede" wrote in message news:40c92dd6$1_2@newsprd01... > Hi Ti, > > My computer spec is:- > > My computer has an MSI 845GE P4 mainboard with 1Gb of RAM. Two 80Gb hard > drives, C: for Programs F: for Virtual Ram (4Gb) and Data files. I am > concerned that I am not getting the performance I should. I don't expect > miracles, but waiting over an hour for a drawing to hide is a bit much. > > > -- > Regards, > > Grahame Ede > > "Ti" wrote in message > news:40c8ace5$1_3@newsprd01... > > Graphics card performance will only be as good as your cpu and/or RAM > > performance. What are these specs? > > > > "Grahame Ede" wrote in message > > news:40c6f575$1_2@newsprd01... > > > I really would appreciate some help here. > > > > > > I was frustrated with the slowness of my on board video 'card' to hide > and > > > render large solid models (~10Mb) so I invested in a mid range video > card. > > > > > > It is an NVIDIA Quadro FX500 128Mb DDR memory full 128bit floating point > > > precision pipeline, 8 pixels per clockrendering engine. Hardware > > > accelerated antialiased points and lines, Hardware OpenGL overlay > planes. > > > This lot sounds as it should improve things a bit, but I am seeing no > > > improvement whatever in AutoCAD performance. > > > > > > Is there something I can do, check, install, uninstall, adjust to make > > this > > > expensive dog earn its keep? > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 17 of 34
Anonymous

"Hi, is it safe to say that having windows set to 4gb of virtual ram would slow down the system a lot ?" In some cases yes. I just had a problem with a few games on my home computer, too much hard drive pageing was slowing me down, but my 1.5Gb of DDR400 was not even close to being used. I cut my page file down from 2Gb (dont know why I had it so big) to 800Mb. Overall the system now makes more use of the DDR and less of the VM. But, if he is using all his ram and all the VM, making it smaller will slow things down even more. -- Paul Houlker Rimex Supply Ltd www.rimex.com
Message 18 of 34
Anonymous

Ok, thats what I thought, besides windows only supports 2gb of ram for applications anyways right ? "Paul Houlker" <111Nospam111paulh@imex.com> wrote in message news:40c9d05a_2@newsprd01... > "Hi, is it safe to say that having windows set to 4gb of virtual ram would > slow down the system a lot ?" > > In some cases yes. I just had a problem with a few games on my home > computer, too much hard drive pageing was slowing me down, but my 1.5Gb of > DDR400 was not even close to being used. > I cut my page file down from 2Gb (dont know why I had it so big) to 800Mb. > Overall the system now makes more use of the DDR and less of the VM. > > But, if he is using all his ram and all the VM, making it smaller will slow > things down even more. > > -- > Paul Houlker > Rimex Supply Ltd > www.rimex.com > >
Message 19 of 34
Ashley Fulks

That's right. Unless you use the 3G switch in your boot.ini file.

Basically, to speed up your computer, you have to find the bottleneck and upgrade it to at least the second slowest component. From what you are saying, you have:

P4 2.4 - 533 mhz FSB
DDR memory (266 Mhz most likely)
533 Mhz FSB
Quadro 500 XGL
80 gig HD x 2

Your bottleneck would not be the video card, as the quadro does not do any scene rendering, like Matt said. The memory speed and FSB speeds are slowest on that chip, you will get about 1.1 Gigabytes per second transfer rate from the memory to the CPU. Consider a 800 Mhz FSB P4 will get 3 Ghz per second and a AMD 64 will get over 5 gigs per second, that makes a big difference in performance. I would think the 2.4 Ghz P4 also as the weak point. The floating point engine on that chip would be running at 1.2 Ghz! Compare that to 1.8 Ghz for a P4 3.4 Ghz and 2.4 Ghz for an AMD 64 FX-53.

So to sum up, upgrade your motherboard, CPU and memory to increase proformance significantly.

- Ashley
Message 20 of 34
Anonymous

Paul, Thanks for your interest. I have attached the screen shots of the CPU & Memory from the CPUID program for your assessment. The DIMM#2 values are exactly the same as shown in Memory .jpg I now realise that a Video Card with more memory is not the answer to my problem which is that when doing a hide operation on a large (~10MB) model it takes over an hour and as I bail out I have not seen a result yet. The strange thing is the computer does not seem to be paging out to the hard drive much at all, just a quick blip every second or so followed irregularly by a short flurry. In short, it seems to be constipated. I am very much feeling my way with this stuff, so please bear with me. Answers to your questions are contained in the body of your reply. "Paul Houlker" <111Nospam111paulh@imex.com> wrote in message news:40c9cb36_2@newsprd01... > Are your two hard drive setup on different IDE channels or are they Master & > Slave on one channel? I don't know how to determine this. Please advise how. Is DMA enabled for the drives? I don't know how to determine this. Please advise how. > Having your Data & VM on one hard drive my also be a slowdown, that one hard > drive is reading the data and writing it to VM making it do alot of work, > while the other one is idle most the time. My thinking was, the C: drive has all the programs, while the F: drive has the drawing files and VR. I assumed that after AutoCAD opened a drawing, the drawing would be held in RAM and that the VR was used as a kind of temporary space for the computer to write things down that it could not keep in its RAM. If I am wrong, please enlighten me. I have set both the maximum and minimum sizes of the VR to 4GB value as I had read somewhere that this will prevent the VR from becoming fragmented (and it does not). I can't imagine that limiting the maximum size when it is so large would affect performance, what do you think? How do I use the 3G switch in my boot.ini file? contents of my boot.ini file follow. [boot loader] timeout=30 default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS [operating systems] multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect I thought I read somewhere in the AutoCAD installation instructions that one should set the virtual ram size to at least twice the RAM size. Perhaps I have gone overboard but I had the space and used it. Today I tried to find out what AutoCAD recommend for a swap file size and was surprised that they recommend only 64MB (for VIZ they recommend 1GB RAM, 2GB VR). I will do some timed tests, Reducing the VR to 500MB on the F: drive and moving the VR to the C: drive, > > Have you checked your RAM settings (Speed, timmings etc) is quite common for > motheboards to incorrectly detect the SPD settings causing your Ram to run > slower than it should. I don't know how to determine this. Please advise how, but I had a look at the Advanced Chipset Features in the BIOS setup utility. Under DRAM timing setting... DRAM Frequency was set to Auto. Available settings were "SPD,200MHz,266MHz,333MHz(@533MHz FSB)" In a remarks column it said something like 'set the frequency to 333MHz as the current setting could lead to instability' I changed the setting, but the remark remained, so I changed it back to Auto and left the BIOS Setup unchanged. > Try this little program http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php to check your > settings, post a screen shot of the cpu & memory tabs back here for us to > check. > I have attached the screen shots you asked for. I hope they shead some light. > Do you have a Anti virus program scanning your data files, possibly slowing > down the whole process? I looked into the Virus Checker, it is set to All Files. I can set it to check files of certain types (there is a default list) but is this required? I thought that the virus checker would test a drawing file as it was opened, but would not be continually scanning while files were not being opened and closed > > Do you defrag you F: drive often? Yes, and even if it is not required. > > Do you have alot of unneed processes hoggin CPU time? Probably, but how do I prune them out? When the computer is cranking away doing this big hide, Acad.exe under the Processes TAB in The Task Manager Dialogue Box is showing a reading of 99 under the CPU column. Does this indicate full attention of the CPU to AutoCAD or 100% of what is left of the CPU? > > Is all the data local, or is AutoCAD accessing some across a network? All local. I really appreciate your help and time and look forward to your reply. > > -- > Paul Houlker > Rimex Supply Ltd > www.rimex.com > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report