Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What kind of monitor?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
232 Views, 6 Replies

What kind of monitor?

My monitor was purchased in 1996 or 7...Viewsonic PT813. Lately it has not turned on properly. When I turn it off,and later attempt to turn it on the light turns green, screen is black, and it goes from green to red. I have to pray and repeat the on off at the switch several times before it finally stays on, and I get a picture. Once it is on, it has a concave shape to both sides until it warms up, and then it is fine until the next time I dare to turn it off. Because of the above I am preparing myself for the day I need to buy a new monitor. I have gone to CompUSA and seen a variety of LCD monitors, but none of them is very good for text...or so it seems to me. There are vertical lines in the screen, and this seems to disfigure the text. From what I can see, line images seem ok, and clear, but have not seen diagonal lines. Even the super duper flat screen tvs are blurry compared to our 15 year old Zenith Tv. My desire is to buy a flat screen monitor, but which one, and are they better than what I have seen in the store? I have used a Dell flat screen, next to a Dell CRT, both the same size in appearance...21", and I thought they looked equal, with the flat screen easier on the eyes, but a slight difference in color. I figured if I buy one it should be an NEC-Mitsubishi, but I haven't seen one to look at it first. Any opinions? And what should the specifications be? I use it for e-mail, QuickBooks Pro, Word, Excel, AutoCAD, Viz, ADT, and anything else that happens onto my computer....photos, etc. Thanks. Jack Talsky
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Jack, Funny, I have a PT813 at home. I just pulled it from our excess inventory at work since we went to the Dell LCDs. The "red LED of death" is a "feature" of Viewsonics that basically indicates it doesn't have much life left. One day it's fine, next day, red LED and maybe - maybe - it'll come back up. But sooner or later, *poof* and it's dead. I've gone through FOUR Viewsonic 21" screens which died with the RLOD - every one of them was less than three years old. I could not return them because they wwere out of warranty, and Viewsonic would not stand by them - even though all four screens were the same exact model. They would not tell me what the RLOD indicates. The tech just says It's Dead, Jim. So, I'm not too impressed with Viewsonic as a monitor vendor, or a company for that matter. I think that the Dell 20" FP display is about the best thing going, pricewise. For the same price you could buy a NEC-Mitsibishi 21" CRT, but as it so happens I have a dual screen setup at work with a Dell 20" LCD next to a Mitsubishi 2070SB CRT, and it's like night and day. The Mitsu is blurry and darker than the LCD. I'll use the Mitsu for palettes and web pages but anything that requires attention goes to the LCD. Matt mstachoni@comcast.net mstachoni@bhhtait.com
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

I once purchased 18 twenty inch monitors from Viewsonic since they were getting such rave reviews. I truly hope I never have to deal with that company again. I don't even want junk mail from Viewsonic. Over half of the 18 monitors were dead within 3 years. I only have 3 that are still working 5 years later. Trying to deal with Viewsonic was a joke. They basically told me I was out of luck/money. So now I stay far far away from them. Have not tried the LCD yet. We run 23 seat of AutoCAD and our corporation only buys Compaq/HP equipment. So I've been running the HP1130/1230 20inch CRT's and they have been working nicely. The next time one dies I plan to start bringing HP LCD 21 inch into the AutoCAD environment. I've heard from people who love the LCD and from folks who only go with CRT for AutoCAD. I would like the extra desk space a LCD offers but am hoping the image/zooming quality and longevity of the LCD is comparable to the CRT's. "Matt Stachoni" wrote in message news:gepit0h4t4u0bc52868jiqibphq0o1sbc6@4ax.com... > Jack, > > Funny, I have a PT813 at home. I just pulled it from our excess inventory > at > work since we went to the Dell LCDs. > > The "red LED of death" is a "feature" of Viewsonics that basically > indicates it > doesn't have much life left. One day it's fine, next day, red LED and > maybe - > maybe - it'll come back up. But sooner or later, *poof* and it's dead. > > I've gone through FOUR Viewsonic 21" screens which died with the RLOD - > every > one of them was less than three years old. I could not return them because > they > wwere out of warranty, and Viewsonic would not stand by them - even though > all > four screens were the same exact model. They would not tell me what the > RLOD > indicates. The tech just says It's Dead, Jim. > > So, I'm not too impressed with Viewsonic as a monitor vendor, or a company > for > that matter. > > I think that the Dell 20" FP display is about the best thing going, > pricewise. > For the same price you could buy a NEC-Mitsibishi 21" CRT, but as it so > happens > I have a dual screen setup at work with a Dell 20" LCD next to a > Mitsubishi > 2070SB CRT, and it's like night and day. The Mitsu is blurry and darker > than the > LCD. I'll use the Mitsu for palettes and web pages but anything that > requires > attention goes to the LCD. > > Matt > mstachoni@comcast.net > mstachoni@bhhtait.com
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

For my eyes, there is a world of difference between a 20/21" LCD monitor running 1600x1200 and a 18/19" LCD running 1280x1024. I could never get used to our Samsung 191T 20"ers (I thought the text too grainy too) but I love my Dell 2001FP's. - Jim "JMT" wrote in message news:41d70e05_2@newsprd01... > My monitor was purchased in 1996 or 7...Viewsonic PT813. > > Lately it has not turned on properly. When I turn it off,and later > attempt to turn it on the light turns green, screen is black, and it goes > from green to red. I have to pray and repeat the on off at the switch > several times before it finally stays on, and I get a picture. > > Once it is on, it has a concave shape to both sides until it warms up, and > then it is fine until the next time I dare to turn it off. > > Because of the above I am preparing myself for the day I need to buy a new > monitor. > > I have gone to CompUSA and seen a variety of LCD monitors, but none of > them is very good for text...or so it seems to me. There are vertical > lines in the screen, and this seems to disfigure the text. From what I > can see, line images seem ok, and clear, but have not seen diagonal lines. > Even the super duper flat screen tvs are blurry compared to our 15 year > old Zenith Tv. > > My desire is to buy a flat screen monitor, but which one, and are they > better than what I have seen in the store? > > I have used a Dell flat screen, next to a Dell CRT, both the same size in > appearance...21", and I thought they looked equal, with the flat screen > easier on the eyes, but a slight difference in color. > > I figured if I buy one it should be an NEC-Mitsubishi, but I haven't seen > one to look at it first. > > Any opinions? And what should the specifications be? I use it for > e-mail, QuickBooks Pro, Word, Excel, AutoCAD, Viz, ADT, and anything else > that happens onto my computer....photos, etc. > > Thanks. > > Jack Talsky >
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

I second (or third) that. Dell 2001FP's are the best out there price/performance wise. Make sure you don't make the mistake and get the FPW (wide screen version). It has less screen space. Planar & Samsung might be a bit better, but you will shell out almost twice as much money. Good luck. Angelo "Jim Mims" wrote in message news:41d9c2ec$1_2@newsprd01... > For my eyes, there is a world of difference between a 20/21" LCD monitor > running 1600x1200 and a 18/19" LCD running 1280x1024. > I could never get used to our Samsung 191T 20"ers (I thought the text too > grainy too) but I love my Dell 2001FP's. > > - Jim > > "JMT" wrote in message > news:41d70e05_2@newsprd01... > > My monitor was purchased in 1996 or 7...Viewsonic PT813. > > > > Lately it has not turned on properly. When I turn it off,and later > > attempt to turn it on the light turns green, screen is black, and it goes > > from green to red. I have to pray and repeat the on off at the switch > > several times before it finally stays on, and I get a picture. > > > > Once it is on, it has a concave shape to both sides until it warms up, and > > then it is fine until the next time I dare to turn it off. > > > > Because of the above I am preparing myself for the day I need to buy a new > > monitor. > > > > I have gone to CompUSA and seen a variety of LCD monitors, but none of > > them is very good for text...or so it seems to me. There are vertical > > lines in the screen, and this seems to disfigure the text. From what I > > can see, line images seem ok, and clear, but have not seen diagonal lines. > > Even the super duper flat screen tvs are blurry compared to our 15 year > > old Zenith Tv. > > > > My desire is to buy a flat screen monitor, but which one, and are they > > better than what I have seen in the store? > > > > I have used a Dell flat screen, next to a Dell CRT, both the same size in > > appearance...21", and I thought they looked equal, with the flat screen > > easier on the eyes, but a slight difference in color. > > > > I figured if I buy one it should be an NEC-Mitsubishi, but I haven't seen > > one to look at it first. > > > > Any opinions? And what should the specifications be? I use it for > > e-mail, QuickBooks Pro, Word, Excel, AutoCAD, Viz, ADT, and anything else > > that happens onto my computer....photos, etc. > > > > Thanks. > > > > Jack Talsky > > > >
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Slickdeals has a coupon for them that brings the price down to less than $600. - Jim "Angelo" wrote in message news:41dab5ea$1_1@newsprd01... >I second (or third) that. Dell 2001FP's are the best out there > price/performance wise. Make sure you don't make the mistake and get the > FPW (wide screen version). It has less screen space. > > Planar & Samsung might be a bit better, but you will shell out almost > twice > as much money. > > Good luck. > > Angelo > > "Jim Mims" wrote in message > news:41d9c2ec$1_2@newsprd01... >> For my eyes, there is a world of difference between a 20/21" LCD monitor >> running 1600x1200 and a 18/19" LCD running 1280x1024. >> I could never get used to our Samsung 191T 20"ers (I thought the text too >> grainy too) but I love my Dell 2001FP's. >> >> - Jim >> >> "JMT" wrote in message >> news:41d70e05_2@newsprd01... >> > My monitor was purchased in 1996 or 7...Viewsonic PT813. >> > >> > Lately it has not turned on properly. When I turn it off,and later >> > attempt to turn it on the light turns green, screen is black, and it > goes >> > from green to red. I have to pray and repeat the on off at the switch >> > several times before it finally stays on, and I get a picture. >> > >> > Once it is on, it has a concave shape to both sides until it warms up, > and >> > then it is fine until the next time I dare to turn it off. >> > >> > Because of the above I am preparing myself for the day I need to buy a > new >> > monitor. >> > >> > I have gone to CompUSA and seen a variety of LCD monitors, but none of >> > them is very good for text...or so it seems to me. There are vertical >> > lines in the screen, and this seems to disfigure the text. From what I >> > can see, line images seem ok, and clear, but have not seen diagonal > lines. >> > Even the super duper flat screen tvs are blurry compared to our 15 year >> > old Zenith Tv. >> > >> > My desire is to buy a flat screen monitor, but which one, and are they >> > better than what I have seen in the store? >> > >> > I have used a Dell flat screen, next to a Dell CRT, both the same size > in >> > appearance...21", and I thought they looked equal, with the flat screen >> > easier on the eyes, but a slight difference in color. >> > >> > I figured if I buy one it should be an NEC-Mitsubishi, but I haven't > seen >> > one to look at it first. >> > >> > Any opinions? And what should the specifications be? I use it for >> > e-mail, QuickBooks Pro, Word, Excel, AutoCAD, Viz, ADT, and anything > else >> > that happens onto my computer....photos, etc. >> > >> > Thanks. >> > >> > Jack Talsky >> > >> >> > >
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Thank you guys very much.....been a big help...next week I will get a new monitor or two of them....:) Samsung or Dell 2001FP.....got it...600 coupon for the Samsung....sounds good. Jack "JMT" wrote in message news:41d70e05_2@newsprd01... > My monitor was purchased in 1996 or 7...Viewsonic PT813. > > Lately it has not turned on properly. When I turn it off,and later attempt to turn > it on the light turns green, screen is black, and it goes from green to red. I > have to pray and repeat the on off at the switch several times before it finally > stays on, and I get a picture. > > Once it is on, it has a concave shape to both sides until it warms up, and then it > is fine until the next time I dare to turn it off. > > Because of the above I am preparing myself for the day I need to buy a new monitor. > > I have gone to CompUSA and seen a variety of LCD monitors, but none of them is very > good for text...or so it seems to me. There are vertical lines in the screen, and > this seems to disfigure the text. From what I can see, line images seem ok, and > clear, but have not seen diagonal lines. Even the super duper flat screen tvs are > blurry compared to our 15 year old Zenith Tv. > > My desire is to buy a flat screen monitor, but which one, and are they better than > what I have seen in the store? > > I have used a Dell flat screen, next to a Dell CRT, both the same size in > appearance...21", and I thought they looked equal, with the flat screen easier on > the eyes, but a slight difference in color. > > I figured if I buy one it should be an NEC-Mitsubishi, but I haven't seen one to > look at it first. > > Any opinions? And what should the specifications be? I use it for e-mail, > QuickBooks Pro, Word, Excel, AutoCAD, Viz, ADT, and anything else that happens onto > my computer....photos, etc. > > Thanks. > > Jack Talsky >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report