Did you mean: 

Small laptop graphic card - AMD 6630m

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
jonatan.svensson
1527 Views, 5 Replies

Small laptop graphic card - AMD 6630m

Hi

I`m about to bye a new portable computer to replace my current workstation.

Has anyone had any luck with graphic cards like:

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 1Gb/ Intel HD Graphics 3000

or

AMD RADEON HD 6470M 1GB

I cant seem to find a smal laptop (max 14") with Nvidia Quadro or AMD Fire pro.

We currently work in Inventor 2010 but we are going to uppgrade in some time.

I do models and drawings with up to 5000 components. No rendering i studio.

All answers are helpfull. Thank you

Tags (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Steer as far away from the Radeon line as you can if you are using Inventor.  If you cannot find a QuadroFX or FireGL mobile card, you can consider a capable GeForce M card with a WHQL certified driver. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 6

Thank you for your answer!

What is it that not are going to work with these graphics cards that I suggested?

Can Invertor start and run wit them?

What is goig slower?

What kid of prolem is there?

Its really annoying that there are no smal & light 13" or 14" laptops with decent graphics card.

This is the smalest one i have found with wthat I think is a good graphic card?

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06b/321957-321957-64295-3740645-4307559-5071171-5071175-51...

There is a 14" model to but I cant seem to find it in europe

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06b/321957-321957-64295-3740645-4307559-5060942-5060947-51...

Message 4 of 6

A Radeon card will crash Inventor.  It is not certified for use and is a video game card, not a CAD card.  The old joke is ATI stands for 'Always Trashes Inventor.'

The HP machine will be fine.  Anything that has a workstation class video card is likely going to at least have a 15.6" screen.  They aren't going to put a big card into a machine with a small screen that cannot fully show off the capabilities of the card.  If you want to use Inventor on a laptop, you definitely need to be looking at a workstation class card like nVidia Quadro with as much RAM as you can get.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 6
brian
in reply to: jonatan.svensson

Check out the HP Elitebook 8460w - this is a 14-inch mobile workstation sporting the AMD FirePro M3900 which is certified for Autodesk applications. Currently available in US and Canada. We have a promo SKU XU097UT#ABA that includes 8GB memory,  500GB HDD and Win 7 Pro 64.

Message 6 of 6
jonatan.svensson
in reply to: brian

That laptop is very interesting but it is not avalible in Sweden.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report