Did you mean: 

Small laptop graphic card - AMD 6630m

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
jonatan.svensson
1541 Views, 5 Replies

Small laptop graphic card - AMD 6630m

Hi

I`m about to bye a new portable computer to replace my current workstation.

Has anyone had any luck with graphic cards like:

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 1Gb/ Intel HD Graphics 3000

or

AMD RADEON HD 6470M 1GB

I cant seem to find a smal laptop (max 14") with Nvidia Quadro or AMD Fire pro.

We currently work in Inventor 2010 but we are going to uppgrade in some time.

I do models and drawings with up to 5000 components. No rendering i studio.

All answers are helpfull. Thank you

Tags (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Steer as far away from the Radeon line as you can if you are using Inventor.  If you cannot find a QuadroFX or FireGL mobile card, you can consider a capable GeForce M card with a WHQL certified driver. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 6

Thank you for your answer!

What is it that not are going to work with these graphics cards that I suggested?

Can Invertor start and run wit them?

What is goig slower?

What kid of prolem is there?

Its really annoying that there are no smal & light 13" or 14" laptops with decent graphics card.

This is the smalest one i have found with wthat I think is a good graphic card?

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06b/321957-321957-64295-3740645-4307559-5071171-5071175-51...

There is a 14" model to but I cant seem to find it in europe

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06b/321957-321957-64295-3740645-4307559-5060942-5060947-51...

Message 4 of 6

A Radeon card will crash Inventor.  It is not certified for use and is a video game card, not a CAD card.  The old joke is ATI stands for 'Always Trashes Inventor.'

The HP machine will be fine.  Anything that has a workstation class video card is likely going to at least have a 15.6" screen.  They aren't going to put a big card into a machine with a small screen that cannot fully show off the capabilities of the card.  If you want to use Inventor on a laptop, you definitely need to be looking at a workstation class card like nVidia Quadro with as much RAM as you can get.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 6
brian
in reply to: jonatan.svensson

Check out the HP Elitebook 8460w - this is a 14-inch mobile workstation sporting the AMD FirePro M3900 which is certified for Autodesk applications. Currently available in US and Canada. We have a promo SKU XU097UT#ABA that includes 8GB memory,  500GB HDD and Win 7 Pro 64.

Message 6 of 6
jonatan.svensson
in reply to: brian

That laptop is very interesting but it is not avalible in Sweden.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums