Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recomendations for a new Graphics Card

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
JFWall
598 Views, 1 Reply

Recomendations for a new Graphics Card

After 10 years of working with R14 on a PIII with Windows XP I have just upgraded everything to the following:

AutoCAD LT 2013

Win7 64bit PRO

i7-3770

8GB Ram

120GB SSD with Raid1

1TB HDD with non stop backup

ASUS P8Z77-V LX Motherboard (graphics are HD4000 on the board)

2 ASUS PA248Q 1200x1920 monitors

Razer Naga Mouse (12 buttons fully programmed)

Logitech G19 Keyboard (12 buttons programmed)

I have AutoCAD completely customized now and the hardware is running really well and now I want to upgrade the graphics end of things to max out the efficiency of AutoCAD and also allow me to run some heavy duty games for the slow times.  Some of the research I have done points to the fact that AutoCAD no longer relies on OPEN GL and is using Direct X to produce the graphics so I do not see any advantage to a workstation card.  I only work in 2D for all of my design work but my drawings are extremely detailed and filled with infomation, hatching, photos, etc. 

What I want to avoid is spending a good chunk of money on a high end game card that in the end will conflict with AutoCAD.  The list of recommended cards that Autodesk has does not really address my particular set of parameters so I would very much appreciate some recommendations from the community at large at to what experience you have had with gaming cardsand AutoCAD and what might work for me with this hardware setup.

Thanks to all for your help.

Regards

John Wall

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
entropist
in reply to: JFWall

I have run autocad and civil3d on 280 and 670 gtx nvidia cards. Either will outperform the fx1500 card i use at the office for cad, and games look great too. I've noticed others around here on the autodesk forums running 500 series gtx cards.

Overall, it seems nvidia gaming cards work fine for autocad or civil3d; I would expect similar for ATI cards, but I have no direct experience with them since my old P3 rig... and I never ran cad on it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report