Did you mean: 

New Intel Xeon Phi Coprocessor

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
thomaskennedy
2565 Views, 1 Reply

New Intel Xeon Phi Coprocessor

Hi all,

Does any one have any knowledge of this new processor from Intel ? Specifically with how it might be made to improve processing times in Autodesk Inventor.

I believe that currently Inventor is (for the most part) a single threaded process and doesn’t take advantage of Multi Core CPU’s, as such is limited to how efficient it can be when dealing with parallel processing of work. The new Xeon Phi Coprocessor will do a huge amount of parallel processing because it has about 60 cores on the chip, but I understand that applications need to be written in such a way to take advantage of this.

Does any one know if Inventor could benefit from the use of a Xeon Phi Coprocessor now – with no application changes to the software ?

Does anyone at Autodesk have any information on the future direction of Inventor in respect of it’s multi threading capabilities – allowing it to use multiple cores on a chip and/or allowing it to utilise the processing capabilities of a Xeon Phi Coprocessor.

Link : http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/high-performance-computing/high-performance-xeon-phi-coproces...

Thanks in advance

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
dgorsman
in reply to: thomaskennedy

I kind of doubt it would make much of an impact, at least not a cost-effective one.  If it made a difference in processing speed it would still be frequently waiting on the user.  At some point the meatware becomes the main bottleneck in the system and cutting time from a quarter second to a hundredth of that has no noticeable impact.

Love the preview topics - marketing managed to hit all the big-ticket high profile ones.  Climate.  Oil and gas.  Entertainment.  Financial analysis.  Buzz-ier than a beehive.  😄

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report