Did you mean: 

Looking for new Graphics Card

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
pokyfudywise
1115 Views, 3 Replies

Looking for new Graphics Card

Hi guys! I am looking for new graphics card for my HOME(work)station. I am working in 3ds Max 2012 and Maya 2012. I read a lot of negative opinions about quadro cards in common day use(web browser fore ex.). So I decided to buy normal consumer product. I have a few questions:

- ATI or AMD? I heard also that 5 and 4 series from NV had(or still has) performance problems due to bad software. However NV has CUDA, but still 3ds doesn't use it, yes?

- It is wise to choose card with more RAM, in the same model? For example GF 560Ti 1GB vs GF 560Ti 2GB or ATi 6950 1GB vs ATi 6950 2GB?

What's your suggestions? 

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
OMCUSNR
in reply to: pokyfudywise

Since adsk products don't use open GL any more, many of use have gone with a good gamer card for a better value than the Quadro's.  You just get more performance for the dollar with a "gamer".

If you plan on doing much rendering, that's where more Vram comes into play - 2d not so much.  I happen to like Nvidia drivers as a personal preference.  They seem more stable for the C3d work I do (no rendering) and new drivers are very easy to get & install.  So for heavy 3d & rendering, I'd go with a 2 gig card.

I think my card was made by ASUS using the GTX 460 Nvidia drivers w/ not quite 1gig of Vram.  I felt it was a good price/performance compromise, since I don't do any rendering.  Most any of the major manufacturers are going to have good performers though.

One other thing to look at is monitor support & outputs.  Newer monitors have HDMI inputs & older have the DVI connection.  Make sure whatever you get supports 2 monitors at least.  For serious work, you need 2 monitors to see what your drafting, and what all the commands and dialoge boxes are.

Reid

Homebuilt box: I5-2500k, MSI P67A-GD65, 12gig DDR3 1600 ram, ASUS ENGTX460 Video card, WD Velociraptor WD4500HLHX HD, Win 7 64 pro.
Message 3 of 4
pokyfudywise
in reply to: OMCUSNR

Thank You for your answer. About rendering will the 3ds or maya use additional 1GB gpu memory in 560Ti(it would be 2GB)?Someone has sth to add?

Message 4 of 4
jmitchell5
in reply to: pokyfudywise

I was also wondering the same thing. I currently have a 09 i7 imac with the 4850 video card. I get such bad brush lag when the canvas is rotated. I heard many people say that they do not experience this issue with nvidia cards. Is this a nvidia ati thing?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report