Hardware (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop Advice: Does Civil 3D work well with multi-core processors?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
istill316
7319 Views, 2 Replies

Laptop Advice: Does Civil 3D work well with multi-core processors?

I have a student civil engineering friend who has asked me for laptop buying advice. He specified his need for AutoCAD Civil 3D and the general lousiness of his current 2009 Macbook Pro. He wants to spend between $200 and $300. (Yeah, it's not much.)

Two options are as follows:
1) ASUS X501A-HPD121H Notebook Intel Pentium B980(2.4GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory 500GB HDD Intel HD Graphics
2) DELL Inspiron i13Z-3636sLV Notebook Intel Core i3 3227U(1.90GHz) 13.3" 6GB DDR3 Memory 500GB HDD 5400rpm Intel HD Graphics 4000

The latter has a newer, higher-rated processor in general, including multithreading, but the indiviual core clock speed is noticeably less. It does, however, have 2GB addition RAM.

Given these are budget systems, which would be better for his student civil engineering purposes, and why?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
dgorsman
in reply to: istill316

Neither.  Civil3D requires a lot of power to operate anywhere reasonably well, which includes reasonable speed modern processors, significant amounts of RAM, a dedicated video card, and a screen large enough to work on.  He will be spending more time fighting the hardware than learning with both of those.

You might be able to find a workable refurbished laptop in the $600-700 range from the major manufacturers, but will likely be looking at $1K plus.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 3
braudpat
in reply to: dgorsman

Hello

CIVIL 201X 64 bits needs a lot of memory (to run correctly) : 8 Gb is a STRICT MINIMUM !

Your Win Seven (or Eight) 64 bits will use about 2 Gb (or more), so ... 

Bye, Pat

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report