Hardware (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is an upgrade in computer just ice in winter?

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
justdrawinglines
1195 Views, 18 Replies

Is an upgrade in computer just ice in winter?

I am considering buying a new desktop.  I'm just trying to determine if there will be an appreciable difference for the $$$ spent.  I am a sole proprietor architect, using ACA 2011.  In addition to my own work, I also work for other architects via a VPN.  Things move rather slowly and I usually freeze at least 2x a day.  I did max out the memory, and upgraded my graphics card.  My system is going on 7 years old, and I honestly can't complain about it until I went from 2008 to 2011....  Below are the specs for my current Dell Dimension 8300.  Please understand that I don't understand what all of this means (only enough to be dangerous).

My current desktop is a Dell Dimension 8300, Intel Pentium 4 processor at 3.0 GHz 2.0 GB RAM, 1024MB DDR SDRAM at 400 MHz, Radeon HD4650 AGP8x 1GB DDR2 Memory, 120 GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)

Does anyone have any suggestions for a new system that would make a big difference without going crazy with the price?  I was looking at a Dell Precision T7500, Win 7 64 bit, Quad Core Intel Xeon E5507 2.26GHz 4M L3 4.8GT/s, 4GB DDR3 RDIMM memory 1333MHz ECC 4 DIMMS, 256MB ATI Fire MV 2260 2MON 2 DP w/ 2 DP to DVI Adapter, 500gb SATA 3.0Gb/s w/ NCQ and 16MB DataBurst Cache

Any help is appreciated!

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
omc-usnr
in reply to: justdrawinglines

What was the cost on that system?  Do you have 2 monitors already?  What plotter are you using?

I'd make sure you get the Win7 64 Pro (not the home).  You may need to look for some vista drivers for you plotter and older hardware.  The Pro version allows better networking, and has the xp emulation mode if you have older software.

You really don't need the quad core, usually a faster dual core is a better choice.  More ram - take it to 8 gig if you can.  Do you do any rendering?

Reid

Message 3 of 19
justdrawinglines
in reply to: omc-usnr

Hi, Reid.

Thanks for responding!  Most of my plots are to PDF.  I do some rendering, but not a lot right now.  However, I anticipate the amount of rendering and 3D to increase.  Right now I'm using a single 18" flat monitor - that price on the new system includes a new 24" monitor (yippee).

Definitely the Pro.  I've had too many issues with XP Home in terms of troubleshooting...

The cost on the new system as described would be $2000-2200.  The original system cost me about $1100 seven years ago, plus the additional memory and new graphics card were another +/- $300.

Kathy

Message 4 of 19
namssurt

1) don't waste money on a Xeon. Only real value there is the ability to use multiple cpu's and the use of error correcting memory, which is not significant unless we are building mission critical structures.

2) OpenGL videocards are no longer required for Autocad, and are overpriced for functionality,

I would get an i7 chip despite the fact that the extra cores are not necessary, solely because of the need to future proof for upcoming versions, and the fact that the fastest cores are only available with that set of chips.

jg
Message 5 of 19
OMCUSNR

Save your old 18 if its still working good for commands.  It's almost impossible to do production work w/out two now, because menus & boxes take up so much screen real estate.

I'd also go with an I7 in the mid range.  How much of the 2200 was the new monitor?  $600?  That means you're looking to spend about $1600 on the box?

Reid

Homebuilt box: I5-2500k, MSI P67A-GD65, 12gig DDR3 1600 ram, ASUS ENGTX460 Video card, WD Velociraptor WD4500HLHX HD, Win 7 64 pro.
Message 6 of 19
justdrawinglines
in reply to: OMCUSNR

Thanks for the responses!

The monitor is only $230 of that total.  Plus I was able to plug in a couple of coupon codes...  I think the bottom line was closer to $3k before the discounts.

I'm a little confused on the difference between the Intel Xeon Quad Core and the i7.  The desktop I was looking at (the Precision) doesn't seem to offer the i7.  Of course, I haven't actually called and spoken to anyone at Dell yet, so I don't know if the i7 is a possibility on that model.

Message 7 of 19
namssurt

xeon is a workstation chip designed to allow multiple chips in one computer and to use error checking memory. Save money and don't get it. Better places to spend your money exist.

jg
Message 8 of 19
ACADuser

I would recommend looking at the Studio XPS 9100.  You can find this in the home office store.  This I think would be a better deal than the Precision lineup.  I priced the one listed below at about $1440 (no monitor included).  The price reflects a $359 discount which is good through Dec-16.

Intel Core i7-930 processor(8MB L2 Cache, 2.80GHz)
Genuine Windows 7 Professional, 64bit, English
9GB Tri Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 6 DIMMs
VIDEO CARD ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB GDDR5
1TB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
Dell AX210 Stereo Speakers
Dell Wireless Desktop Keyboard & Mouse 
THX TruStudio PC Sound Card

ACADuser
Civil 3D 2018, Raster Design 2018
Windows 7 Enterprise
Dell Precision 5810 Workstation
Intel Xeon E5-1630 v3 @ 3.70GHz
32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K2200 4 GB GDDR5
DUAL 27" Dell UltraSharp U2713HM
Message 9 of 19
justdrawinglines
in reply to: ACADuser

Funny you should mention that system!  I just got off the phone with Dell, and should get my new spiffy desktop in a couple of weeks.

This is what I ended up with:

Intel Core i7-930 processor (8mb L2 Cache, 2.80GHz)

Window 7 Professional, 64 bit

9GB Tri Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 6 DIMMS

24" Dell ST2410 Full HD Monitor

ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB GDDR5

1TB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache

Dual Drive: Blu-Ray 6x Combo Drive and 16x DVD+/-RW w/ double layer write capability

Sound THX TruStudio PC

Mouse & Keyboard

3 Year Service Plan w/ in home service

Bottom Line (before NY tax):  $1544

Thanks again, everyone, for all the advice!

Message 10 of 19
namssurt

high end discrete audio on an office computer? A little self-indulgent don't you think?

jg
Message 11 of 19
namssurt

OOOOH Blu-ray. That makes the sound card make sense. Hope you've got the speakers to take advantage of the sound card.

jg
Message 12 of 19
justdrawinglines
in reply to: namssurt

They were both part of the package, so that's what I'm getting.  I guess the gamers these are geared towards need it... until Autodesk starts incorporating sound effects, it'll just make listening to itunes a more pleasurable experience!  Crap... now I guess I'll need to invest in expensive speakers.  Wonder if B&W makes computer speakers?

Message 13 of 19
namssurt

Probably need loud ones to cover that jet plane noise that the computer is putting out.

jg
Message 14 of 19
justdrawinglines

white noise...

Message 15 of 19
ACADuser

Nah, I would place it in on the other side of the partiion in my co-workers cubicle and run wires through the mouse hole.  That is untill he complained, then I would have to get some earpiugs or maybe some decent audio ear phones.

ACADuser
Windows 7 Enterprise
Message 16 of 19
ACADuser

Glad to hear someone is saving by not purchasing a Dell Precision.

If you have a chance let us know how the new PC works out.

ACADuser
Windows 7 Enterprise
Message 17 of 19
justdrawinglines

Will do!  

Still can't believe how expensive the Precisions are...  I also looked at HP, but haven't had good experiences with them in the past.  Besides, their warranty kind of stinks compared to Dell for about the same price.

My, how we've progressed since Radio Shack's Trash 80's!  I'm dating myself...

Message 18 of 19

I've had my shiny new Dell Studio XPS for a couple of weeks now.  It's a beast!  There have been a few issues with ACA since the switch, but all in all it's been great!  My only real complaint is the white case on the unit...  I dread what it will look like in a couple of years.

Anyone looking for a new machine should look at the system I just got.  HUGE improvement, and lots of room to grow.

Now if someone knew how to solve my VPN and xref issues...

Message 19 of 19
DianneS

What issues had you had with ACA 2011?

Dianne

@justdrawinglines wrote:

I've had my shiny new Dell Studio XPS for a couple of weeks now.  It's a beast!  There have been a few issues with ACA since the switch, but all in all it's been great!  My only real complaint is the white case on the unit...  I dread what it will look like in a couple of years.

Anyone looking for a new machine should look at the system I just got.  HUGE improvement, and lots of room to grow.

Now if someone knew how to solve my VPN and xref issues...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums