Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need advice on the laptop i want to purchase

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
addorer
535 Views, 4 Replies

I need advice on the laptop i want to purchase

I am about to get this laptop (http://h40059.www4.hp.com/uk/homelaptops/pdf/dv6-3180ea_ds_ene.pdf), and I use AutoCAD, photoshop cs5, Autodesk Revit, and 3ds Max. Do you think this laptop is a good

chioce? or do you have any advice? Dont really know much about processors.

Thank you in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
pendean
in reply to: addorer

That's a small screen for your 4 listed programs: is this a casual-user scenario, or a casual-use laptop?

What is your budget $$?

Message 3 of 5
addorer
in reply to: pendean

My budget is £700/$1000. Well its my personal laptop, i will also use it for other things but because of the field i am in, when I am at home,

and not in the office,i will have to use those software on my laptop...What do you think?

Message 4 of 5
pendean

OK, so this is for casual/oocasional use of those four applications: you'll hate the small screen (and low-end vertically) and most likely do anything you can to not do real work on it, but hopefully that HDMI port will let you connect to something more decent and still higher res than that VGA port.

The RAM should be in the 6-8Gig area (especially since the video card seems capable of robbing 2.5gig of it for itself alone) HD speed is decent (7200rpm), video card is designed for this laptop's target audience (entertainment) and is not great for the two+ apps you have that prefer higher end graphics. It's decent for your price range, enjoy it's non-work perks and feature set.

Message 5 of 5
OMCUSNR

@ $1000 USD, you're running the ragged edge for the acad products.  The processor is a tad bit slow, and I've never yet come close to needing a terabyte HD.  I concur with pendean that the screen is marginal at best.  You really do NEED a 17" screen as a minimum to use acad products.  The menus take up too much space, and you'll be constantly panning & zooming to do any drawing.

Realistically you need to up your budget to about $1400 usd to get a portable that will handle the acad products you've listed, and $1800 would be better.

Reid

Homebuilt box: I5-2500k, MSI P67A-GD65, 12gig DDR3 1600 ram, ASUS ENGTX460 Video card, WD Velociraptor WD4500HLHX HD, Win 7 64 pro.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums