Hardware (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to improve performance of Inventor on MacBook Pro?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
hajimeml
1215 Views, 3 Replies

How to improve performance of Inventor on MacBook Pro?

Hello. I have just installed AutoCAD Inventor Professional Suite 2010 on my laptop. The laptop is a MacBook Pro 2010 model, i7 M620 2.67GHz, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 64-bit. It has a Nvidia GeForce GT 330M GPU. I have updated the driver to the latest one which is 8.17.12.6658. Compared with Solidworks installed on the same machine, I noticed that it takes a long time to launch the program. Morever, operations seem to be slow. Is there a way to improve the performance on this program suite running on the MBP? Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
namssurt
in reply to: hajimeml

Are you running it through boot camp or parallels?

If Boot Camp then standard Windows speed up advice applies. and the fact that Apple built it is trivial other than being overpriced.

If Parallels or similar, you are simply out of luck. The overhead of one of thoae programs is simply leaving you with a  less than optimum computational power situation. The actual video is routed through as a generic Mac video driver, as well as every other function. Until a Native Mac version is released you are never going to see ideal results. There may be minor configuration adjustments available in Parallels and inventor, but they are truly minor in comparison to the other issues.

jg
Message 3 of 4
c.henry
in reply to: namssurt

You could dual boot your machine?

Message 4 of 4
Pixeltje1
in reply to: hajimeml

I'm using both Inventor and Solidworks, and encounter the same thing; Inventor needs more time to start. However, i'm using a quad core i5 system with 16GB of RAM.

If you run windows through bootcamp, you should look into various tips and trick to speed up windows rather than searching for 'apple'. When in bootcamp, macOSX doesn't run so doesn't use system resources. When you're using parallels of VMware things are different; macOSX and windows will run alongside and thus share resources.

The best option is to install windows on a bootcamp partition, if you don't want to; look into the preferences of VMware of parallels and find the section where you can allocate resources to your virtual machine. When using inventor and/or solidworks, you'll probably won't use macOSX, or just for mail, so you can tell VMware or Parallels to clear all resources for windows.. However, this will always be slower compared to bootcamp..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report