arman.zmn
11892 Views, 12 Replies

Dual monitor setup for AutoCAD 2014

need suggestion here,

What setup should i use for my cad workstation,

2x Dell E2211H (1920x1080)

Or 

1x HP Compaq LA2405x (1920x1200)

these are the only monitor option that suits in my budget. Any suggestion?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
nestly2
in reply to: arman.zmn

It depends on what you are going to do.  Personally, I would always choose the monitor with the most vertical space due to all the vertical space consumed by the Ribbon.  I'll take 1920x1200 over 1920x1080 every day, even I had to wait before I had the budget to get a 2nd monitor.

Message 3 of 13
arman.zmn
in reply to: nestly2

so i should get the 1920x1200 one, and wait for the next one?

or if i get 2 1920x1080, and mount them as potrait with monitor stand. this way there would be lots of vertical space for the ribbons, the effective resolution would be 2160x1920, odd resolution, but would it work?

Message 4 of 13
nestly2

Again, it depends on how you're going to configure them. (ie AutoCAD spanning both vs AutoCAD x2 vs AutoCAD + Excel etc)  I don't know that I'd try to run two portrait monitors for AutoCAD, plus you'd have to make sure the video card would support it. I also don't think either of those models support portrait orientation.  You also should consider the connections on the monitors vs the output(s) on the video card.  The Dell has 1 D-Sub (VGA) and 1 DVI.  The HP has those two, plus 1 display port.  Both of the models you listed are TN panels vs the newer IPS display (not a big deal for CAD, but still something to consider).  Below is a comparison of the actual screen size for each (not the overall dimensions of the monitor)

AspectRatio.jpg

Message 5 of 13
arman.zmn

Unfortunately I am going to use both configuration (ie AutoCAD spanning both & AutoCAD + Excel etc), because for every beginning of a project I have to use more space for drafting collected survey data, and at the end of the project I have to use AutoCAD + Excel for area, volume, cut & fill , land schedule work.

and for portrait orientation support both of them support vesa mount and I already have a duel monitor stand with vesa mount, so that would not be any problem.

My workstation does not have any display port so can't use it. Otherwise there would be no problem to connect up to 3 monitor, but don't have budget for 3.

I think if I use 2 1920x1080 portrait or one 1920x1200 setup spanning autocad wouldn't be any problem, but for autocad + excel would be a problem, as both of them have less horizontal space.

Message 6 of 13
pendean
in reply to: nestly2

The Ribbon can be docked to the side, left or right, not just at the top (or bottom) of the AutoCAD screen. Works for me on my laptop just fine.
Message 7 of 13
AllenJessup

As mentioned it depends on how you're going to use it. I much prefer 2 landscape monitors. If fact I'm using 2 Dell 21" right now. AutoCAD is open on one an IE is open on the other while I compose this post. Not especially helpful in this case but it does help when answering one where I have to refer to the program or create screen shot.

I often use one for AutoCAD and open other programs Excel, Word, Raster editor, etc. On the other. When I'm working in 3D. I tend to create 2 or more modelspace viewports and span AutoCAD Civil 3D across both monitors. That way I can have the plan view on one monitor and the 3D view on the other. I do the same thing if I'm working on 2 parts of a drawing that are far apart but I want a zoomed in view of each area. I also tend to keep a lot of pallets on the second monitor and even the command line in 2012 or earlier. I keep the Ribbon minimized to Panel Titles so that doesn't take use much space.

sr1.PNG

So for my style of working. 2 matched monitors works well. Of course if I had the budget. I'd have six.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 13
troma
in reply to: AllenJessup

Or eight?

more monitors.jpg

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 9 of 13
arman.zmn
in reply to: AllenJessup

thank you @

Message 10 of 13
dgorsman
in reply to: pendean

True, but when vertical the panel titles are at the bottom of each panel which is counter-intuitive for a vertical list arrangement.  Most of my users have that problem when they try the vertical orientation.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 11 of 13
troma
in reply to: dgorsman

I don't get the titles at all when I have it vertical.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 12 of 13
nestly2
in reply to: pendean

I tried the vertical configuration when I first started using the Ribbon and found it even less efficient in terms of both  screen real estate and number of clicks.  I may try making a more efficient vertical configuration and moving it to the right monitor.

Message 13 of 13
AllenJessup

That looks very familiar to me. So I would say yes. You're the one who's going to have to use it. So what ever fits your style. I've also done the Laptop and Monitor at home but above and below not side by side.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report