Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does AutoCAD use multicore processors effectively

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
rstultz
3243 Views, 5 Replies

Does AutoCAD use multicore processors effectively

I am looking to purchase a new laptop for AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013. I have the choice between a dual core and a quad core. Are there any benefits to having multiple cores for AutoCAD? What would be the prefered cpu for a laptop for Civil 3D?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: rstultz

Processor speed and design (i7 better than i3 for example) matters most: so which dual and quad cores are you looking at? And what about the rest of the Laptop specs? Video Card? Processor alone does nothing for AutoCAD (or CIVIL) if the remaining components are holding it back.

Message 3 of 6
rstultz
in reply to: pendean

I am stuck getting an HP as that is what our company buys. Looking at either an i5-3520M (2.9 GHz), i7-3740QM (2.7 GHz) or i7-3840QM (2.8 GHz) processor. These are my choices because they are the Intel vPro enabled processors which my company requires. Probably looking at 16 GB of ram (would it be better to get 4-4GB or 2-8GB?). Will probably get a 128GB SSD primary drive and a 500 GB secondary drive. All drawings are kept on the network which is slow but I download to my computer before opening so that doesn't matter much. Video choice is a FirePro 4000M 1GB DDR5 or an NVidia K2000M 2GB DDR3. I am leaning toward the NVidia card because of the card I am now using.

Any thoughts on this?

Message 4 of 6
pendean

Generally speaking, i5 is for mainstream users, i7 is for power users. And unless you only run one application at a time on the laptop, you'll find a small but appreciative gain with the i7 overall.

The rest of your system choices are sound IMHO (2-8GB, leave yourself some future growth). I can't imagine you going wrong with either vid card, I have good experience with the FirPro, you have good experience with the Nvidia.

Message 5 of 6
jokermtb
in reply to: pendean

...looks like we're in the same boat!

I too am investigating a workstation replacement laptop - I've budgeted $2500-3000, as a working range.    I've narrowed it down to  Lenovo's W530 series, as well as the HP's  EliteBook 8770w +8760w series, and  Dell's Precision M6700 + M4700 series.   I like the Lenovo's price - for example: 16gb of pc3-12800 ram, i7-3820qm processor, 500gb 7200rpm drive, 15.7" FHD screen, bluetooth/centrino ultimate ethernet, 2 year accident plan, 170w docking station, and bag all for around $2800.   The HP and Dell have very similar systems (with slightly less-fast processors) for a bit more cash (add the docking station to the HP/Dell's and it gets up around $3k and over (and they don't have comparable accident/support warranty packages compared to Lenovo, which would further jack up the price).

I've noticed on the HP/Dell sites that they do sell off-the-rack models using the K3000 vid card, as an upgrade over the K2000, but they don' t do a similar jump up when they offer the FirePro 4000m card.   I'd really like to see how these two cards measure up against each other before making a decision, or will I be more than happy with the K2000 card for doing my usual CAD, photoshop, and sketchup stuff which is typical for my architectural work..

I should just pick one, and stop dithering....

Message 6 of 6
rstultz

I have to go with the HP because that is what my company buys. I only wanted the 15.6"  screen (8570w) and not the 17.3" screen (8770w) because of weight constraints ( I had a 17" screen - too much to tote around all the time) so this limits what I can get for a video card (K2000M is the largest in the 8570w). If you wanted to go with the larger screen you can actually get the K5000M video card at a $2100 premium over the K3000M.

I think if you check the HP comes with a 3 year warranty included with that model so that might help with the cost difference a little. I also have to have a CPU that is capable of using vPro (another company constraint) so that really limits what I can get for a CPU.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report