Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dell system recommendations

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
344 Views, 3 Replies

Dell system recommendations

(In personal mode) and yes, I've read all the posts about Dell systems, actually for the second time..... I draw on the expertise here if I might. Time for a new desktop as the old Dell is getting BSD several times daily and nothing I can do will clear the problem. It's (blush) 5 years old and has done good duty. I need some advice is possible on the system below and then the question at the end on wireless gear. I'll be running the standard MS Office programs, ACAD 2006, ACAD LT2006 and various bookkeeping programs like Quicken. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Last system I'll buy for a while so don't want to cut myself short but also don't want extras not needed. I use ACAD but at a rudimentary level and am NOT a power user. Anne http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=1d47w9b&s=bsd Dimension 4700 - $1724 - $150 rebate and free shipping BASE SYSTEM OPTIONS Pentium® 4 Processor 530 with HT Technology (3.00GHz, 800 FSB) Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional 512MB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHz (2x256M) 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHz (2x512) Dell Multimedia USB Keyboard Dell 2-button scroll mouse Microsoft Office Professional-Includes Outlook,Word,Excel,PowerPoint,Access 80GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) 100GB USB External Hard Drive (7200rpm) Dual Drives: 48x CD-ROM Drive + 16x DVD+/-RW w/dbl layer write capability RecordNow! Deluxe - Burn, Copy and Label CDs 3.5 in Floppy Drive 19 inch Ultrasharp 1905FP Digital Flat Panel 128MB PCI Express x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X300 SE Sound Blaster® Live! 24-bit ADVANCED HD Audio Dell AS500 14W Flat Panel Stereo Spkrs for 1704FP,1905FP,2001FP Flat Panels ====================== Now a question if I might: I have a cable modem unit provided by my cable company. Hooks into the current desktop and a separate Netgear wireless router goes out to the laptop. Laptop has internal wireless. What of the Dell equipment would I need and does it duplicate what I have for a wireless Netgear system? Wireless Broadband Router Dell wireless networking products support most cable and DSL modems, however some broadband carriers may not be compatible with the Dell Wireless 2350 Broadband Router. Dial up modems are not supported. Minimum system requirements apply. Please see "Help Me Choose" to verify your existing system is compatible. None [subtract $60] Dell Wireless 2350 WLAN Broadband Router with 1-Year Service Dell Wireless 4350 Small Network WLAN Access Point with 1-Year Service Wireless Networking Solution Dell TrueMobile wireless networking products support most cable and DSL modems, however some broadband carriers may not be compatible with the TrueMobile 1184 Broadband Router. Dial up modems are not supported. Minimum system requirements apply. Please see learn more to verify your existing system is compatible. Dell Wireless 1450 (802.11 a/b/g) WLAN USB 2.0 Adapter
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Anne, That's a very good system for what you need. It should last at least 5 years. >What of the Dell equipment would I need and does it duplicate >what I have for a wireless Netgear system? Your best bet is to connect an Ethernet cable from your new machine directly to the wireless router/access point. If that's not possible due to the cable modem location (which in turn is dependent on the cable coax connection itself), the only thing you need to make the system wireless is to purchase a wireless PCI LAN card. Any wireless card that matches or exceeds the specs of the Netgear router should work fine. You could even buy a Netgear card locally from Staples which might save you some money. Matt mstachoni@comcast.net mstachoni@bhhtait.com
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Thank Matt for your time. Since the cable modem is sitting beside the current desktop guess I'm good to go. Now just to commit to the order. Anne Matt Stachoni wrote: > > Anne, > > That's a very good system for what you need. It should last at least 5 years.
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

System ordered with some changes. Decided to stay with our current 19" Ultrasharp flat panel monitor so that plus free shipping and free double ram dropped the price down. Thanks all for the advice. Anne Matt Stachoni wrote: > > Anne, > > That's a very good system for what you need. It should last at least 5 years.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report