cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3
tonyatrsm
588 Views, 2 Replies

Computer Specs

My boss is going to get me a new computer (finally!) that will run MEP and all the new 3D software and was wondering if someone could help me out on what I should get. I'm thinking quad core processor, about 8GB RAM... I don't know much about what graphics card it should have. If someone could just post some specs for me that would not only keep up with todays software but also keep me running for the next 5 years or so I would appreciate it! I've already looked up system requirements for all the different software but it's MINIMUM requirements and really not a whole lot more than what I have now and it runs slow with just basic AutoCAD. Also, would there be any ramifications with being compatible with all my old files if I upgrade to a 64 bit machine? Thanks in advance!

Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
OMCUSNR
in reply to: tonyatrsm

"old files"? or Older programs?  NOT going to a 64bit OS is NOT AN OPTION, especially if you're thinking 5 years for this new box.  It'll be like trying to trouble shoot a new PLC with a analog multi meter.  The area you may have problems with is most likely going to be older hardware like printers / plotters, or some older 32 bit apps not ADSK related.  However, in many cases, drivers from 64 bit Vista or XP can be found to make older hardware work.

Are you going to network this box with 5 or more computers?  Win 7 64 pro if not, Ultimate if yes.  12 or 16 gigs of ram, not 8.  Use a slightly lower grade CPU if you need to get the money to go with more ram.  Its better bang for the buck to go that way.  Also, make sure you have two monitors.  It's almost impossible to be productive w/out 2, because the menu / ribbon / boxes take up so much screen space.

It's not cost effective to think of computer life in terms of 5 yrs - it's more like 3 max.

Reid

Homebuilt box: I5-2500k, MSI P67A-GD65, 12gig DDR3 1600 ram, ASUS ENGTX460 Video card, WD Velociraptor WD4500HLHX HD, Win 7 64 pro.
Message 3 of 3
namssurt
in reply to: OMCUSNR

I agree with almost everything you said. Only exception is the version of Windows. If 5 or less computers home premium is fine. If more than 5 you use pro. There is almost nothing in Ultimate worth considering unless you are doing multi-national work (additional support for languages), need to protect your data (Bitlocker built in), or like giving money to MS. Actually the 5 could go to 8 exceptfor the fact that printserver boxes or networked devices chew up that 8 so 5 is a reasonable number. Another reason  to use PRO is the availability of XP mode, which will allow using incompatible old software. If the use of older incompatible software is critical, definitely go with pro.

jg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report