Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2000 Performance Question

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
serverbrb
609 Views, 6 Replies

AutoCAD 2000 Performance Question

Hello,

Hopefully someone can answer a few questions, I have a client that requested I build him a computer specificlly for AutoCAD 2000.  I mainly need to know where to put most the money, does AutoCAD 2000 have any support for GPUs?  As far as CPU can it take advantage of multiple cores, or will it just use one core for everything it does?  How about a faster I/O device such as a 10,000 RPM HDD or a SSD, any benifit there?  If it does not support anything nativly, are there add-ons or settings I can tweak to take advantage of the modern hardware?  I know he does render with the software, if you need any more information from me or him as far as what he uses it for and what hardware I am looking at please feel free to ask.  Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
DarrenP
in reply to: serverbrb

autocad 2000 came out over a decade ago

it won't take advantage of any of the new hardware/technology that is out

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
pendean
in reply to: DarrenP

1999 I believe, for Win95/98.

OP, are you old enough to remember Win95/98 and the software/hardware they could run on? yeah, your iPhone has more juice and ability.

Message 4 of 7
serverbrb

That's what I extected, so dual-core with max OC.  I just wanted to make sure there wasn't an add-on or patch that could take advantage.  What about higher I/O, any benifit there or will the CPU bottleneck be so great it'll prevent that from being a help?  Right now I am looking at a dual-core clocked around 3.8-4.1Ghz.

Message 5 of 7
dgorsman

I question the risk of overclocking, given that an AutoCAD as ancient as the "2000" is significantly lighter than modern versions.  At that speed the primary bottleneck is the meat, not the metal.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 6 of 7
OMCUSNR

I think you'll benifit most from a new I-3 with about 8 gigs of ram & Win 7 64 pro as the most cost efficient way to get the  best performance from that version of acad.  Make sure the MoBo supports SATA 6 & get a medium sized HD spinning at 7600+.  I don't think a SSD is cost effective right now, unless it's hooked into a laptop.  I put money into a Velociraptor from Western Digital - fast & stable.

You don't need more than what a new I-3 can do with the older acad.  It's fast & the data throughput is better than anything else on the market right now for the price.  You might need to explore the installation proceedure for acad 2000 & win 7 64 bit, but it's doable. 

I'd look at a Nvida graphics card that supports 2 monitors and has about 500 meg of Vram - nothing fancy or screaming, since there's not a lot of rendering to be done with acad 2000. 

Reid

Homebuilt box: I5-2500k, MSI P67A-GD65, 12gig DDR3 1600 ram, ASUS ENGTX460 Video card, WD Velociraptor WD4500HLHX HD, Win 7 64 pro.
Message 7 of 7
pendean

Processor speed, rather than number of cores, is more of an advantage for older software if the intent is "speed": as noted above, AutoCAD 2000 is a light weight, anything current from a office supply store is going to be fast compared to an older PC.

Just realize the limitations of AutoCAD 2000's abilities will not disappear with a faster PC: it's still slow at rendering, it's still slow at complex 3D objects, and 2D speed gains will be measured in nano-seconds and nothing more.

Don't overspend or over think the hardware needs for such an old software package.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report