Hardware (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

64 bit Autocad on an Athlon 64 cpu on a windows XP (32 bit version?) ?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
abrogard
452 Views, 6 Replies

64 bit Autocad on an Athlon 64 cpu on a windows XP (32 bit version?) ?

I'm running standard windows XP SP3 on my Asus motherboard which has an Athlon 64 processor.

I can buy a second hand copy of Autocad 2010 64 bit pretty cheap. Will it run on my machine? Or do I need a 64 bit OS first?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
pendean
in reply to: abrogard

No, 64bit will not install on 32bit OS, and vice-versa.

AND.... AutoCAD is not sold in only 32bit or 64bit, you get both free and at the same time if your source is legit: sounds like you are going to lose your shirt, enjoy those savings for 30days.

Message 3 of 7
DarrenP
in reply to: pendean

its probably not a legal copy

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 7
TravisNave

Agreed.  You cannot buy a "second hand" copy because the license is non-transferrable.  You will be left with a trial version that will expire and never activate.  Only buy from certified Value-Added Resellers.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 7
abrogard

Oh, okay, thanks for all that.  It is supposed to be from a deceased estate - the widow doesn't want any of this stuff. You mean I wouldn't be able to activate it if I got it because I'm a different person or because I've got a different machine - with that stuff about licence not transferable?

There's no pressure. I don't need it. I use - no, I don't use - I have the 2008 version and I've never learned to use it.

Message 6 of 7
OMCUSNR

Well, sorta.

The lisencse is transferable......under certain circumstances, and for a fee.  In my case, the boss closed the office, and working through our reseller (Delta Engineering) we were able to transfer the lisencse into my name for $350.  It has to do with a transfer of assets if a company divests or splits.  I, then have become responsible for maintaining the subscription.  In the case of a death, I'm not sure the survivors can transfer the lisencse.

For the other part of your question, you'll need to have a 64 bit OS before a 64 bit version of acad will work.  So, your choices are XP 64 (NOT recommended at all) Vista 64 (not really that good a choice), and Win 7 64 (not a home version) as the currrent supported OS.  If you're still running XP, it's time to do this anyway.

Reid

Homebuilt box: I5-2500k, MSI P67A-GD65, 12gig DDR3 1600 ram, ASUS ENGTX460 Video card, WD Velociraptor WD4500HLHX HD, Win 7 64 pro.
Message 7 of 7
abrogard
in reply to: OMCUSNR

Not worth my while bothering, is it? what they're selling me they can't sell... it's worthless to me...

The lady will be interested to hear all this.  Sadder but wiser, she'll be.

🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report