Hardware (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D/Reality Capture Hardware requirements?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Light_Guy
621 Views, 2 Replies

3D/Reality Capture Hardware requirements?

So, we are entering the world of reality capture here. Point Clouds and laser scanners! WOO HOO!! Can anyone recommend desktop/laptop hardware minimums? I was at a panel discussion at AU2012 and they mentioned the HP Z800 and the others kind of nodded. I also read somewhere that a SDD hard drive is better than a SATA for 3D work. I am trying to get my IT folks looking at a proper standard for 3D work but need some good real world data to support my suggestions. Any help is ALWAYS appreciated!

Paul Hamor
"Always good ships!"
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
dgorsman
in reply to: Light_Guy

WOO HOO and point clouds do NOT go together.  Useful, yes, but be prepared for hair loss.  Remember its reality, whereas the engineers/clients are usually looking for rationalized or optimized design values - e.g. angles at a perfect 90 degrees.

SSD vs. SATA 6Gb/s won't matter much if you are sharing data, likely the data will be served rather than local.  There are a few minor advantages to an SSD in general performance and cost but nothing specifically related to 3D work.

Point clouds are *very* data intensive, so the most RAM you can stuff into the motherboard is your main goal, and usually acheivable in cost if you don't go for the uber-ultra-game-spec or ECC stuff.  Normally I'd put processor speed first but in this specific case I'd make it a very close second, as point cloud management software will usually do a good job of managing those points for you.

Z800's are OK, although a bit of overkill for most work, expecially if you need more than one or two.  If you already have a purchase contract with HP, the benefits will probably outweigh the extra costs involved.  If this is a one-off, consider a custom build.  This is exactly the situation where custom building is an advantage over mass-sourcing.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 3
Light_Guy
in reply to: Light_Guy

We have the HP contract and we need about 10 machines to start so I guess we might lean the 800 way. Thanks for the info!

Paul Hamor
"Always good ships!"

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report