Community
Insight Energy Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Insight Energy Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Insight Energy topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HVAC Equipment

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
bcpratt
2411 Views, 5 Replies

HVAC Equipment

The list of HVAC equipment looks extensive initially, but seems lacking upon further review.  I didn't see anything that would model a ground source heat pump.  Am I missing something?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
mstein7484
in reply to: bcpratt

We are in the process of adding more HVAC systems to the tool.  But please keep in mind that the main purpose of using Green Building Studio is for the conceptual phase, when details about your project are as yet undecided. We encourage you to use Green Building Studio to first determine the optimal footprint, orientation, opening size & placement, etc. for minimal energy usage (accounting for solar radiation control, daylighting potential, natural ventilation potential, etc.). Only once these major decisions have been optimized for energy efficiency should you worry about specifics of HVAC systems, etc.

Best Regards,

Marjorie Stein

Product Manager, Sustainable Design              

Autodesk, Inc 

Marjorie Stein
QA Analyst
Generative Design Group
Autodesk, Inc.

insight.support@autodesk.com
Message 3 of 6
jwmsmith
in reply to: mstein7484

I still can't finf a ground source heat pump option - has it been added?  If so, what is it called?

Message 4 of 6
mstein7484
in reply to: bcpratt

Hello,

Because of the complexities in modeling heat pumps, we are still working on valid default assumptions to use for the simulation models. The workaround would be to download the DOE-2 input file from your initial Green Building Studio run, import this into eQUEST, and configure eQUEST to model a heat pump.

Kind Regards,

Marjorie

Marjorie Stein
QA Analyst
Generative Design Group
Autodesk, Inc.

insight.support@autodesk.com
Message 5 of 6

Hello,

I am currently working on my first analysis using Green Building Studio, for acedemic purposes. The project I'm concerning will be equipped with VRF system (for both cooling and heating). I'm not sure what to choose in GBS, heat pumps seems to be the closest solution but I might have missed sth. 

Could you advise what would be the best to do?

Thank you in advance,

Justyna

Message 6 of 6
mra1242
in reply to: justyna.skrzypek

Hi,

eQUEST (DOE-2) which is the background engine for GBS doesn’t support VRF systems. Many experts suggest using PVVT (packaged variable volume variable temperature) systems as an eQUEST workaround. Unfortunately GBS does not have PVVT as a choice in the HVAC systems yet. But but it seems the closest system type GBS offers is a PVAV. It might be good to do some studies and experiments to compare PVVT vs PVAV systems in terms of results.

Mohammad Rahmnai Asl

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report