Community
Insight Energy Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Insight Energy Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Insight Energy topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does exterior wall information export in gbXML?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Jtenn1234
735 Views, 4 Replies

Does exterior wall information export in gbXML?

I want to analyze a building with significantly different material properties between the first and second floors (i.e. solid concrete vs. wood framing).  Is it necessary for wall material information to be accurate in Revit before I export the gbXML file? Other than volume, what other parameters need to be set in Revit for an effective energy analysis?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mstein7484
in reply to: Jtenn1234

It is not necessary for your wall constructions to be detailed in order to get useful energy analysis results with your Revit model. Your model can be conceptual. All that is needed for a reasonable energy result are the model itself( geometry, etc.,), buidling type, and location. The other parameters are automatically assigned, based upon reasonable defaults for new constructions by using ASHRAE baseline standards and other references. See this blog posting for more details. Default Inputs for Revit and Vasari Energy Analysis

Marjorie Stein
QA Analyst
Generative Design Group
Autodesk, Inc.

insight.support@autodesk.com
Message 3 of 5
vengilbert
in reply to: mstein7484

Just doing a reverse on this question; Is it possible to assess the energy efficiency given that the model i uploaded has detailed information already? Just to check if i already have an efficient building?

Thanks.

Message 4 of 5
mstein7484
in reply to: vengilbert

Yes, you can analyze a model with detailed information. 

In order for these components to be used in the analysis make sure to configure the Energy Settings (Analyze tab in the ribbon>Energy Analysis>Energy Settings)

• Export Category: Rooms
  • Include Thermal Properties: checked
  • Analysis Mode: Use Conceptual Masses and Building Elements

Refer to the screenshot. 

You can perform Energy Analysis using Conceptual Energy Analysis, or the new feature: Insight360, which allows you to quickly compare how different factors will impact your building’s energy usage.

You can learn more about Insight360 by visiting the Insight360 webpage: https://insight360.autodesk.com/oneenergy/ and by reading the blog: http://blogs.autodesk.com/insight360/#

NOTE: Some differences between the two workflows: the Insight360 Analysis uses an Office building type, an ASHRAE 90.1 HVAC system, and the Office building type operating schedule. The Conceptual Analysis workflow uses the Energy Setting Building Type, HVAC system, and Operating Schedule.

Let us know if you have more questions on this topic, otherwise please accept it as a solution so that others can benefit from this information.

Regards,

Marjorie Stein
QA Analyst
Generative Design Group
Autodesk, Inc.

insight.support@autodesk.com
Message 5 of 5
vengilbert
in reply to: mstein7484

Thank you for the reply mstein7484. I will have a look at the links. Cheers!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report