Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

re-import .f3d file in Fusion 360

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
filo.filiberti
5327 Views, 10 Replies

re-import .f3d file in Fusion 360

after "export Archive" of an object on your computer. What is the best method to import the item into another project?

Thanks

Fabio

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Hi Fabio.

If you are looking to import an item into a project, what you can do is use the "Import CAD data from local hard drive" command on the dashboard, and define the project as the one you are looking for.  This will import the local archive that you exported into the project you specified.

What I think your question is asking is how do you import a design into another design.  This can be done using the insert command under the assemble tab inside of your target design.  The insert command will search your existing designs across all your projects and you can choose from that list.

I hope this answers your question,

[Joel Palioca]
[Software QA Engineer]
Joel(dot)Palioca(at)autodesk(dot)com
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 11

That's what I had done, but the answer is "importing timeline design in to direct design is not supported yet"

Thanks

Fabio

Message 4 of 11

With a new open design the answer is:circular dependencing found

If I import the file. Iges I have no problems

Fabio

Message 5 of 11

I do not know why, inexplicably, the file is now visible and I can open it.
It's a mystery ... sorry for the trouble!

Ciao

Fabio

Message 6 of 11

Hi Fabio,

Glad to hear things are working correctly for you now.  As always any issues please keep letting us know.

Cheers,

[Joel Palioca]
[Software QA Engineer]
Joel(dot)Palioca(at)autodesk(dot)com
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 11
srvanasse
in reply to: joel.palioca

Hi Joel,

After reviewing the answer to Fabio question on re-importing a f3d file into another project, the assembly tab in my version does not list an Insert command.  Is there a different solution?  I'm working in the student version.  There is no way to export to an appropriate file such as svg or dxf file formats in order to import under the Insert tab.  Only SAT, STEP, SMT, and F3D and none that can be imported via the Insert Tab.

Any recommendations?

Message 8 of 11
HughesTooling
in reply to: srvanasse

This is an old thread so thing might have changed. You can open a locally stored f3d using New Design From file on the file menu. Then save to a project after saving you can use Insert into Current Design. Or you can upload directly using the data panel, using the cloud icon.

before.png

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 11
HughesTooling

Another option, if you have the full path and filename to the file is use the HTML file in this thread, it will allow opening and inserting locally stored files.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/post-your-tips-and-tutorials/open-files-direct-from-the-web-or-hard-dr...

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 11
srvanasse
in reply to: HughesTooling

thanks Mark,

Right now neither solution is working. Not certain it's the direction,
maybe more operator error. My online projects are not appearing in order
to import. I'll keep working to figure it out.

Steve
Message 11 of 11
HughesTooling

If you're still struggling post some screen grabs of what you're seeing.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report