Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

combine is failing

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
big_red_frog
232 Views, 2 Replies

combine is failing

Hi There,

This is an operation I have previously done a 100+ times in fusion and I am now having trouble with.

I will likely have to share my design with someone to investigate.

I exported and then imported a design to create a copy and then I have scaled it by 0.85 to give me a 15% reduction overall.

Then I am working through inserting new pins that have to be the right size, locating them into the pre exisiting holes, and using the combine / cut intending to open the hole size back up for the pin.

However, after the cut, it appears that the hole size has not changed, see second image, where it can be seen to be smaller, as in the original size after the 15% reduction.

As commented, I have used these combine / but operations so many times before without issue 😞

I am suspicous as if I try to just move the component, the move interactive axis are far away from the pin, back where it was originally imported. My suspicion is that although correctly rendered the code believes the pins body to be back where it was inserted!

I know it is not the component I have inserted that is the problem, its new as it is a shorter pin than before, as I have tried with the original "standard" pin that I have always used before.

It suffers the same problem. It does not get cut into the other body, and its move axis have not followed the component, when I used joint to get it into the correct position.

I have never seen this before and my workflow has not changed.

PIN.png

smallhole.png

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
big_red_frog
in reply to: big_red_frog

Note I went back to my original design, inserted the same part and checked that the parts move axis followed the pin correctly.

In this case it did.

So I used "save copy as" to save out the design again, instead of the export import.

Be aware there is no progress indication for this, unlike import 😞

I opened the copy when it was eventually available, imported the pin and checked the axis and combine behaviour after jointing.

I deleted the imported part as I wanted to reimport once the base model was scaled.

Scale the root of the design by 0.85

Insert the part again. Joint it into position.

Check the move axis, and again it is staying back where the part was inserted, and combine does not work.

So it Looks like performing a scale on the root design breaks a bunch of functionality.

I do not yet know if I scale a component in the design rather than the root, if I can then work correctly.

Message 3 of 3
big_red_frog
in reply to: big_red_frog

OK, tried scaling only subcomponents of the design, and everything stays sane.

Move axis follows the component in a joint operation and combine works.

So either there is a generic bug in using scale in the root of a design, or my design file itself has a weakness that is exposed by scale in this manner.

Well all good talking to myself, now off to give myself kudo's and accept my own solution, but I do believe this is a real issue and should be captured for both workaround and issue tracking.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report