Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot split body with plane

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
big_red_frog
2025 Views, 17 Replies

cannot split body with plane

Hi There,

My adventure continues with my helmet model.

I am about to resize the entire model to get it "just right"

While doing this I am changing some aspects to better print.

But I am having an odd issue with splitting a particular component. Fusion is refusing to allow me, and I have tried with plane's, and even creating large solid blocks to use in combine. Nothing works.

When attempting to split with plane I get 

"Error: coincident face_face_ints with different body vertices"

I have tried patch / validate, and other various things to attempt to work out what is wrong. I have done multiple much more complex split body passes previously, so it has to be something broken in the component.

I have attached an export of the file with just the component of interest and a plane created where I wish to split it.

Problem persists in this reduced file.

Once more I need your help to understand what has gone wrong and how to fix it.

Thanks in anticipation.

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
big_red_frog
in reply to: big_red_frog

Also meant to say, one indication of the problem may be, that creating the plane on the obvious coincident face, makes an enormous plane, as if there was some face element off in the distance from the main object.

Message 3 of 18
big_red_frog

Deleting faces in patch mode so I can see what lies underneath and may be part of the problem shows me these two orphaned lines which I can highlight, but cannot seem to delete or otherwise fix 😞

TempleProblem.jpg

Message 4 of 18
karyeka

Hi,

I could reproduce the problem at my end with your attached file. I verified that the underlying kernel is having problems. I will update you more on this.

Couple of things though -

• we need to put out a more informative error message
  • [tip]: you can drag the edges of the plane to make it smaller

Regards,

Anand Karyekar

Fusion360 Development

Anand Karyekar

Forge Graphics
Message 5 of 18
big_red_frog
in reply to: karyeka

Thanks for getting this far.

Meanwhile, any workaround so I can recover the model and get on with my design?

Message 6 of 18
big_red_frog

I now also note I cannot combine bodies into other areas of this component, so it does look like it is corrupt in general, rather than with respect to the plane and split body command described.

In this case I am attempting to combine / join the matching grey bodies ( that are in line with ) to the red body well away from the original area of concern, and I get 

Error: coincident face_face_ints with different body vertices
Failed to Boolean bodies together

NoCombine.jpg

Message 7 of 18
big_red_frog

Worth noting I managed to trigger a very similar issue with another component in the same design.

I used a plane to split a face, deleted part of this face, and some others, in patch mode, then patched the hole and stiched the patch and open mesh to get a solid body as per icon in browser.

I then went to combine in new pin bodies, and got the same error.

I used undo all the way back to before I split the face, and found I could then combine the bodies again.

So used Sculpt to delete faces instead, which still amazes me when it gets exactly what I meant ( 50% of the time ) and the body stayed consistant, and I was able to still combine in the pin mounts.

I still need to recover the component attached to this thread though 😞

Message 8 of 18
karyeka

Please take a look at the attached part where I have done the split.

The reported model had problems, specifically it seems to have some things which are not client facing and should not be there (they are temporary). After removing those things the booleans seem to have started to work.

Its important to understand how you produced the model with those things. So, it would really help if you can tell us your steps/workflows that created this model (was this a tspline model to start with?). Something went wrong in some operation (likely candidates could be loft, patch or something very odd in stitch).

Thanks for reporting and hopefully the modified model works for you. Let me know.

Regards,

Anand Karyekar

Fusion360 Development

Anand Karyekar

Forge Graphics
Message 9 of 18
big_red_frog

Original model generation came from this thread 

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Get-Help-with-Fusion-360/Where-is-the-export-body-to-stl-command-in-th...

Where Shneik kindly got my stumbling effort at getting a baseline obj into fusion across the line.

This was a single solid body at the end of that process.

I have worked for a relatively time now on slicing it up, adding assembly features, sizing, thicknessing and of course printing it.

I believe I can reproduce a similar failure on another part which I describe in my workaround above.

If I can export the previous version of the component for that I will see if I can provide a base "good" file, and the workflow to take it to "bad".

Message 10 of 18
big_red_frog

Coudl you please confirm the correct way to import that zip?

I was expecting an f3d archive, but this looks like a deep tree.

Thanks

Message 11 of 18
big_red_frog

Note I imported the SMT file.

Unfortunately it still appears to have the same problem.

The required body split is on a plane created with zero offset to the horizontal surface that you have split the body a few mills off.

Try this on your "fixed" part.

Join the bodies back together.

Create a plane on he face with the hole in leading up to the angled face.

Now try and split on this plane. I get...StillBroken.JPG

Error: coincident face_face_ints with different body vertices

Message 12 of 18
karyeka

Sorry, my bad - I should have mentioned about the .zip extension. It's just a different name than .f3d (to make uploading to this thread a success).

Looks like the part got scaled (without healing). Please try this attached part (the zip file has the ".smt" file which can directly be opened from Fusion 360) and let me know.

We will take a look at the part creation workflow since its important to understand how we got here.

Regards,

Anand Karyekar

Fusion360 Development

Anand Karyekar

Forge Graphics
Message 13 of 18
big_red_frog

Note that the forums may support native .f3d attachment now.

I had the same problem in having to zip f3d files on this forum which seemed poor considering the subject matter.

Recently I have not had to do this, so maybe that was addressed?

Of course if you tried it on this cycle, then you will know definatively already.

Just worth mentioning.

Message 14 of 18
big_red_frog

Thats great, I appear to be able to split that body where required. I will attempt to combine with the overall design tonight and work it forward, then confirm if I can recreate a transition from a working to non working component in isolation, package it and provide for consumption.

Thanks.

Message 15 of 18
big_red_frog

Component reinserted into main design and seems to be behaving.

Thanks

Message 16 of 18
karyeka

Great big_red_frog!

If you can isolate the steps to create the bad component that would really help us. Like I said before, we will explore the workflow details mentioned before by you.

Yes, I have seen f3d files uploaded and thought we were pass this, but I had problems doing it yesterday. I will check internal with some folks.

Regards,

Anand Karyekar

Fusion360 Development

Anand Karyekar

Forge Graphics
Message 17 of 18
big_red_frog

Will do so, just needs to be in my queue until the weekend...

Message 18 of 18
karyeka

Just checking - if you get chance to isolate the steps to create the bad component.

Thanks,

Anand Karyekar

Fusion360 Development

Anand Karyekar

Forge Graphics

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report