Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The secrets of "Rib"

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Helmi74
270 Views, 4 Replies

The secrets of "Rib"

Hey all,

has anyone yet played with the new Rib feature? I've tried hard but i can't seem to find out how this is intended to work. All i get is errors if i try to make a "rib" out of an open sketch curve no matter how it is rotated to or from solid bodies. I understood that it is used to extract sketch profiles (open ones) between bodies but that doesn't seem to work for me and i couldn't find any explanation besides the command reference.

---
Frank / @helmi

Established 1974. Internet addicted since 1994. Collector of Kudos.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
AndrewSears
in reply to: Helmi74

Frank,

I understood that it is used to extract sketch profiles (open ones) between bodies but that doesn't seem to work for me and i couldn't find any explanation besides the command reference.

Rib is placed between features that are lumped into the same body.  Does this workflow fit with your design style?

Andy 

Message 3 of 5
Helmi74
in reply to: AndrewSears

hmm guess i'm still unsure what this may be. Is there an example somewhere? A short video or at least a screenshot of an example could help if you have one!?
---
Frank / @helmi

Message 4 of 5
AndrewSears
in reply to: Helmi74

Frank,

The image below shows that the extrusions are consumed by body2.  Creating a Rib needs all features (extrusion, revolve, etc.) to be consumed by only 1 body.

all features in one body.png 

One way to tell that something is wrong; if you select Rib and one of the features you are trying to attach the Rib to becomes transparent and un-selectable then you will know the feature is not part of the body so the Rib will not work.

If you are getting different behavior please send a screen shot showing me this or add me to your group and let me know the filename.  If you want to add me to your group send the invite to andrew.sears@autodesk.com

Andy 

Message 5 of 5
Helmi74
in reply to: AndrewSears

Thanks for explaining, Andy - i will try that out and definitely take your offer to invite you if i have any problems. Thanks again!
---
Frank / @helmi

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report