Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T-spline Body conversion

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
rada.mar
1051 Views, 11 Replies

T-spline Body conversion

Hey guys,

I'm just starting on the fusion 360 world, I did this design from a skecth, does anybody know if it's possible to transform the whole body in a T-Spline curve so I can bend it entirely? The t-spline conversion only works for the sphere or the sweeped bodies...

Or should I redesign everything and start with a bended structure?

serotonin_2014-Mar-20_06-20-19PM-000_HOME.png

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
rishivadher
in reply to: rada.mar

Message 3 of 12
jinhai.zhu

Hi Radamajna,

Many thanks for you getting in Fusion 360 world. Currently, Fusion 360 can transform BRep shape to Tspline individually by Modify->Convert command. Though it can be converted to Tspline, but it's very hard to bend the shape to perfect circle by controlling the manipulator of Tspline manually. I suggest you start this design with a bended structure.

Also, your bend shapes is a good idea definitely. I suggest you to post it in Fusion 360 IdeaStation as well.

Thanks,

Gavin

Message 4 of 12
deyop
in reply to: jinhai.zhu

You could consider creating the "wire" part of the structure with the Sculpt pipe command and then convert it to a solid.  Here is an image where I have taken a sketch layout using polygons, lines and arcs and used them as input to the command.

Use the "Square" end type if you want to convert to solid.

Pipe.png

Message 5 of 12
rada.mar
in reply to: deyop

that's the perfect solution! 

thanks 

Message 6 of 12
cekuhnen

A different approach would be to use Fusion as a second step finishing the design but using a different software for the bend geometry.

Below is a screenshot showing how I use Blender for building the basic design and then using modifiers to project the hex lice structure

onto a surface of your choice.

Screen Shot 2014-03-26 at 1.07.35 PM.png

I am a Rhino users and BRep bend project and flow commands are possible but often very slow and time consuming. I found when you work

with polygons doing the main modeling in a dedicated poly modeler is more efficient than Rhino.

Thanks to Fusion you can import this geometry as OBJ, convert it to TS and then to BRep and finish your jewelry work.

Claas

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

Message 7 of 12
rada.mar
in reply to: cekuhnen

that's what I was wondering when I made the post! that could be a super feature for Fusion 360!
Message 8 of 12
deyop

I'm sorry I didn't pick up on the desire to shape the form.  Here is another approach you could take within Fusion.  Once the sketch is defined you can use the Project to Surface command (found in the Sketch tools) to take the sketch and project them to any set of faces.  Then the projected curves can be used as the input to the Sculpt Pipe command.  I embedded a video below to show how the Project to Surface command works.

ProjectCurve.png

Message 9 of 12
cekuhnen

Hey Deyop,

thank you for the video. I did not notice the new addition of this command.

For his particular design task doing a pipe layout and then perfectly centering additional

geometry along the sketch or projected sketch we would also need an improved snapping option.

Attached is a screenshot showing you that I try to use the projected curve as a guide to position

a sphere at one of the corners.

Screen Shot 2014-03-28 at 10.52.18 AM.png

Do you have any information about more snapping options being planed for Fusion?

Claas Kuhnen

Message 10 of 12
kingson138

This is an easier solution than using Blender. Blender is a little complicated to use most of the time. Thanks for the tips. I noticed this command sometimes ago but never used it. This is a very good tips!

Regards,
Kingson
Using Apple computers
Message 11 of 12
cekuhnen
in reply to: kingson138

Mh every software needs to some practice to get good at. Actualy Alias and Blender work very similar which is why I like to use them together. Key is to understand how they think.

Claas Kuhnen

Message 12 of 12
kingson138

HI This video is so good can you place that into the video tutorial section?

Thanks. ( I had seen a few of your videos they are very good!)

Regards,
Kingson
Using Apple computers

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report