Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STL display

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
575 Views, 4 Replies

STL display

Been playing with the STL import options. Super useful. but the rendering method really doesn't help. The part below is all analytic surfaces albeit tessellated (exported from Fusion), but the rendering method is screwing with how they're represented.

Any idea how that can be turned off?

Screen Shot 2013-10-16 at 09.40.54.png

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jakefowler
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Alistar,

Glad you've had a chance to try out the new mesh import functionality, and many thanks for posting this!

Unfortunately, we don't currently have a way to modify the rendering style of imported mesh bodies. You're right, the rendering isn't really optimal for some analytic shapes at the moment - it works best with smooth geometry, and increasing the mesh density on the exported file generally gives better results (although you may still see issues at fillets & sharp edges). We are aware of this issue, but I'll highlight your example to the team and see if we can take a further look into this. 

I tend to find that with edge visibility on (e.g. using the Shaded with Visible Edges Only visual style), this rendering issue is less pronounced & the geometry becomes more coherent. If this doesn't help or isn't suitable, something else that might make this less distracting is to change the body's visual material to one with lower reflectivity.

Out of interest, have you seen this model (or similar models) rendered more elegantly when imported as an STL into any other packages? Rendering mesh data is quite a different beast to rendering standard NURBS/B-Rep models, and we'd be interested to know if you have any experience with this.

Thanks!

Jake

Jake Fowler
Principal Experience Designer
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: jakefowler

Thanks Jake

It's more the 'balloon' like shading on each facet on the triangle - it's weird.. not so much the actual import of the geometry..

Yeah, couple of other systems do a nice job of it. SpaceClaim has a nice implementation, as does Rhino - those are the two that spring to mind.. 

Al

Message 4 of 5
schneik-adsk
in reply to: Anonymous

Can you email me this STL. I have seen this on some pars too, but yours shows it more than most. We will have the team look at it.
Kevin Schneider
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: schneik-adsk

ON it's way now. it's output from Fusion, by the way - from a step file

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report