Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parabola?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
bryantwatch
6161 Views, 9 Replies

Parabola?

Is there no way to draw a parabola in Fusion 360?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
AndrewSears
in reply to: bryantwatch

The current build of Fusion360 does not have the ability to "draw" an equation controlled parabola. Here are 2 suggestions.

1) Try modeling a cone and inserting a plane if you know the angle and starting position WRT the base of the cone.  You can then project the intersecting edges of the cone into a sketch created on the plane and get a parabola.

2) If you do not need the parabola to be precise (you are just going for close enough) you could use a spline curve with symmetry.

Give that a try and see if this gets you to your solution.  If you are having problems with this let me know and I will help you work on it.  Might need to break out that geometry or calculus book.  🙂

Andy 

Message 3 of 10
rishivadher

hi

for complex geometric funcions I usually use the Maple, but this has also plots SVG (http://www.padowan.dk), and plot the SVG can be imported to Fusion 360

Message 4 of 10
Z.P.
in reply to: AndrewSears

I am going to take a screenshot of a parabola in desmos and then trace the screenshot with a bunch of little curves... wish me luck

Message 5 of 10
etfrench
in reply to: Z.P.

Perhaps it would be easier to use the built-in function Conic Curve Smiley Surprised

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 6 of 10
stijn.lombaert
in reply to: Z.P.

i  have just created a parabola with the control point spline function. its seems to be exactly what i needed.

I hope the image shows the relations clear enough, since i dont know how to explain it clearly.Zaklamp parabool forum.PNG

Message 7 of 10
etfrench
in reply to: stijn.lombaert

It's a spline, but is it also a parabola? 

See this site for another way to create a parabola.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 8 of 10
stijn.lombaert
in reply to: etfrench

i've made a screenshot of a parabola that i made in geogebra, and used that to trace it and it seems to be exactly following that function.      (y= sqrt(18.906x)   A(9.543,0)  )parabool.PNG

Message 9 of 10
chromation

There are two ways in Fusion 360: Conic Curve with rho=0.5, and Control Point Spline. Locate three points before drawing the curve:

- the two endpoints of the parabola

- the point where the tangents to the parabola endpoints intersect

For more detail, please see my reply to a similar question:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-design-validate/how-to-represent-a-quadratic-bezier-curve-...

Message 10 of 10
drew.regner

Another way if you know the Parabola function you are using make a table and solve for the values and put those points in then connect it with a spline, mirror it about the vertex and it should make the parabola pretty nice.  Just like we did back in Algebra 2 in High School. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report