Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help createing this surface

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
karthur1
355 Views, 15 Replies

Need help createing this surface

I have brought a surface into Fusion.  The width of the surface varies around it, but it is approximately 1.6mm.  I am needing to get this surface to 6mm in width. I was thinking I could create an extrusion on the "inside" surface, then offset it 0.8mm.  I was going to use this new"center" extrusion and offset it 3mm in each direction.  I would then extend the original surface so that it intersects the two new surfaces.  I will take this to build a sculpt.

Is there a more simple way to create this?

I exported my part and I have attached it here. Maybe there is an easy way to share my design from my Fusion Hub.  If there is, I have not found it yet.

Thanks,

Kirk

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
rishivadher
in reply to: karthur1
Message 3 of 16
karthur1
in reply to: rishivadher

How do I view the attachement?  There is no .f3d file in your zip.

Message 4 of 16
rishivadher

Hi

I tried to upload to here but the size was to big, and the link is right.

When you download the file is .ZIP, just change it to .F3D

is some kind of bug of issue about the forums I think

Message 5 of 16
karthur1
in reply to: rishivadher

Ok... got it.

This is dufficult to explain and I probably did a terrible job in my original post.  Sorry about that.

If you look at my part, there is a "Body 4" under the unstitched folder.  That is what I am building from.  The width of that "ribbon" varies, but it is about 1.6mm wide.  I need to increase this to be 6mm wide. I need it to be 3mm wide each way from the center of it. Basically each edge will move away from the center 2.2mm.  I first tried to use the "Extend" command to move out each edge.. something like this

2013-10-07_0941.png

..... but I could not get that to work. I am using the "Tangent" extend type here.  If I change to the "Natural"extend type, it will work, but one of the corners does not work exacly correct.

So then I set off projecting the edges to a sketch, and I was planning on offsetting the sketch the distance I needed.  The "Body 48" and Sketch4 was my attempt so you can delete that if you want.

Message 6 of 16
karthur1

I was able to use the extend command and get the outer edge to work.  I used the Extend command twice.  Once with 1mm offset and then again with the 1.2mm offset.  Then I did the inside and it looks much nicer now.

Now I have another question.  I would now like to extrude this surface down to the "extrude4" that is below it.  Is there an "easy" way to do that other than projecting the edges to a 2d sketch and then projecting that?

Thanks 

Kirk

Message 7 of 16
karthur1

When I project the edges to a new 2dsketch and then try to project it back up to the "ribbon" surface, I get this errror "Failed to terminate at target body/face!"

Suggestions????

2013-10-07_1039.png

Message 8 of 16
schneik-adsk

Instead, try lofting from the source face to the planar sketch.
Kevin Schneider
Message 9 of 16
karthur1
in reply to: schneik-adsk

Kevin,

That helps.  I got it extended like I wanted.   Now I need to add a fillet between these two bodies.  I am trying to add eht fillet here, but it will not pick that edge when I am in the fillet command.  I suscpect it is because the Body53 is an "open" body because of the icon in the browser.

2013-10-07_1357.png

I tried to use the Combine tool to add them together,  But it will not pick the second body.   To get to this point, I used the split body tool, then deleted the portions that I no longer needed.  How do I add the fillet in this corner?

Thanks

Message 10 of 16
schneik-adsk

1. Switch to the modeling workspace
  2. From create pane choose boundary fill
  3. Select the two bodies you show in the bowser
  4. Choose the "cell" section in the command dialog and choose both cells by clicking the empty checkboxes that show up in the graphics near the volumes you want.
  5. In the command dialog choose join.

The boundary fill command will combine all cells you choose into a single solid. you then "should" be able to fillet the edge you want. This geometry is messy so I wouldn't expect a huge fillet to work here.

Kevin Schneider
Message 11 of 16
karthur1

Kevin,

Got it done with your help.  Many thanks.

I was just looking for .125in fillets in those corners (both inside and outside).  The outside ones worked, but I had to delete some of the faces to get the inside to work.

Go the hard part done though.  It is much easier to work on this type geometry here than in Inventor.

Thanks for the help.

2013-10-07_1633.png

Message 12 of 16
schneik-adsk

Glad to hear that!

Is this an EDM electode?

Kevin Schneider
Message 13 of 16
karthur1

Looks like it, but its not. This is actually a weld tool for an automotive lens assembly.
Message 14 of 16
schneik-adsk

Interesting. Sorry I keep asking questions. So then is this for sonic welding? I'm always interested in how these digital models become real and have a background in MFG so I'm keen to learn what types of methods customers use.

I'm glad to hear it's not EDM. I spent way to much time with sink EDM machines and that smell... well I'll never forget it. 

Kevin Schneider
Message 15 of 16
karthur1

Kevin,

This welding assembly is the "Hot Plate" in a thermal welding tool.  It welds the lens and the housing together after the LEDs and circuit boards are placed inside the assembly.  I have not completed the assembly that this part is going in yet, but attached is a similar one that I completed using Inventor.  It was a struggle in Inventor to make the parts match the surfaces of the plastic parts. Hopefully, I can use Fusion as a tool to complete this portion of the assembly.

The arrow is pointing at the "hot plate" in this assembly that is similar to the one I was working on in this thread.

Kirk

P42K_BUL tooling.jpg

Message 16 of 16
rishivadher

Cool to see all the mfg. process of a product

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report