Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keyshot Plugin - Is it possible to modify "Tessellation Settings" ??

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
TRACERfire
3937 Views, 19 Replies

Keyshot Plugin - Is it possible to modify "Tessellation Settings" ??

I've been exporting a couple of models from Fusion 360 into Keyshot.

I've noticed that some tessellation is occurring on the model when using the Keyshot Plugin, creating rounded edges that appear noticiably jagged in the render.

This tessellation does not occur when I exporting the same model into an Inventor 2014 format and bring into Fusion. I've set the tessellation level to 1 on import

Is it possible to set the default tessellation level using the Keyshot plugin? If not, I want it! As the plugin is so handy and fast to use.

Unfortunately I'm unable to share images due to non-disclosure.

-John-Paul McCarthy
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
colin.smith
in reply to: TRACERfire

Hi John-Paul.  Currently there is no way to adjust the tessellation from the Fusion side during the export.  I use the plug in all the time an I haven't seen this.  Let me look in to this with the Fusion and Keyshot developers and I will get back to you as soon as I have some information.

A couple questions:

Are all your files acting this way or is it a specific file?

Which version of Keyshot are you using?

Mac or Windows?

Are they BREP solids or T-Splines?

Thanks

Colin

Colin Smith
Sr. Product Manager
SketchBook
Alias Create VR (aka Project Sugarhill)
Automotive & Conceptual Design Group
Message 3 of 20
fredicus
in reply to: colin.smith

I'm having the same issues, especially if do close up renders [in Keyshot or with the internal render engine]. In Soliworks it's an easy thing, simply adjust the Quality level = tesellation levels. Is this a planned feature in the future?

-e

Message 4 of 20
lukepighetti
in reply to: fredicus

I have noticed tessellation even in Fusion renders. Annoying, but no one but me has seemed to notice yet.
Message 5 of 20
colin.smith
in reply to: lukepighetti

Yes, there is work being done around tessellation. In the short term the focus will be Fusion to the cloud render. We will also start to look at the tessellation issues in Fusion.
Colin Smith
Sr. Product Manager
SketchBook
Message 6 of 20
lukepighetti

Will Cloud render be able to do ray tracing and dof? Because without that, I just don't see the point yet of spending money on it. But if I could (right from Fusion) put in a work order for the exact thing I'm trying to render  but poster sized that would be AMAZING and totally worth the money (especially if it was faster than my computer).

Another thing that would be sweet is to "capture" multiple renders and let them render in the background so you could set your computer up overnight to crank out some images.

Would be awesome if you guys do the same thing for NASTRAN or whatever you're putting in for CAE stuff.

Message 7 of 20
colin.smith
in reply to: lukepighetti

The cloud render is a ray tracing renderer.  In the upcoming update you will be able to render directly to the Cloud Render from within the Render workspace in Fusion. 

It will be a much more WYSIWYG experience.  It will also translate the DOF settings across from Fusion to the Cloud render. 

I think you will like the features in the next update.

Colin

Colin Smith
Sr. Product Manager
SketchBook
Message 8 of 20
lukepighetti

Sounds awesome, looking forward to it!

Message 9 of 20
blacktip

Hello. I'm just wondering if you guys has looked into the tessellation issue in order to get rid of all jaggy edges when bringing a F360 model into Keyshot via the plugin? There's no issues when importing a F360-model as a .STEP-file, but when using the plugin there's a lot of hard edges going on. I have reported the issue to the Keyshot team, and they are also aware about the problem.

Message 10 of 20
reineckerg

Curious if this was ever addressed or if there is a fix?  I constantly have this problem with the Keyshot plugin still. 

Message 11 of 20
blacktip
in reply to: reineckerg

Nope, nothing has happened at all. I even tried to DM a few Autodesk-people about this issue, but it's been all silent. 😞

Message 12 of 20
reineckerg

I did a little digging and was able to find a solution.  There is now a setting called Display Detail Control that has 3 settings for the tessellation, Low, Medium, and High.  You can get to it by right clicking on the Document Settings in the tree, or by right clicking each body in the tree.  I checked the fixed option, and then changed it to high.  Models are importing much cleaner into Keyshot now.  Below is a link to the Autodesk info about the feature.

https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/blog/march-1-2017-update-whats-new/

Message 13 of 20
reineckerg

Ok, maybe not a fix anymore.  What I am seeing when I do this is that the surfaces look smoother, but now I am seeing lines on the surface of the objects.  It looks like little gaps in the triangulation of the surfaces.  Also still seeing some faceting on the fillets.  Below are a couple examples.

Message 14 of 20
lucasproko

Hey all,

From looking at the images linked in this post, it appears to me as though the Keyshot Add-in is exporting a triangulated mesh to their software rather than a solid body. Any time you render a mesh, the results are not going to be as smooth as the solid body, and this can be exaggerated in more complex, or particularly smooth models. 

2018-02-27_16-12-21.png

Since Keyshot authored the plug-in, there is nothing we can do from a Fusion standpoint to remedy this situation. It is possible that Keyshot will end up updating the Add-in to export solid bodies, but I am unsure of their plans. In the meantime, it appears as if your best bet is to export solid bodies manually via Fusion and then import them into Keyshot.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Lucas Prokopiak
Fusion 360 Product Manager (Sketch/Model)
Message 15 of 20
blacktip
in reply to: lucasproko

Hi Lucas, and thanks for responding. I actually posted the same question in the KeyShot forums last autumn, and the reply I got from Keyshot makers Luxion could be read as "not our fault". Here's the thread: https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=19970.new

I really hope you guys get together over a coffee or two, in order to get the plugin working as expected. That surely would help the workflow for us end users 😃

cheers,

Markus

Message 16 of 20
lucaspro24
in reply to: blacktip

Hey @blacktip,

I just read the forum post you linked and I didn't read so much as "not our fault", but instead I read it as "I'm seeing the same problems with tessellation that you're seeing, and I read a Forum post on Fusion's website that said they were working on tessellation so I hope that fixes it."  Coincidentally enough, the post he's referring to is this very post that we're communicating on now! (this is some sort of meta conversation in a conversation - I'm freaking out...). The fact is that no matter how much we work on tessellation (which was the work @reineckerg mentioned in his/her posts above regarding Display Detail Controls), as long as Keyshot is exporting a mesh body rather than a solid body in their Add-in, there will be noticeable tessellation once the body enters their software. Since we don't have control over the code they used to make the Add-in, there is nothing we can do without their assistance. 

That being said, we are reaching out to their team to explain the situation from our point of view and we will see if we are able to collaborate on a solution. I can't promise we'll be able to get anything done, so in the meantime I suggest continuing to export your bodies as solid bodies before importing into Keyshot.

Or... you could even give our own rendering engine a try if you don't want to go through the hassle of importing and exporting files. If you haven't spent much time in our rendering workspace, I'd recommend watching a few videos on YouTube to introduce you to the functionalities. I'll link a couple of my favorites below :). 

Thanks!

(Oops - looks like I was logged into my personal account when I posted this. Apologies for the multiple accounts!)

Message 17 of 20
blacktip
in reply to: lucaspro24

It sounds just awesome to hear that you are starting a collaboration with Luxion to see what can be done in order to make a more optimized plugin/workflow. Meanwhile, I'll continue exporting F360 as .step-files for further import into Keyshot. And yes, I know that the built in renderer is somewhat decent but not (yet) on par with what KS can do. Also, since I spent quite lot of money on purchasing Keyshot I'd like to use it as well 😉

Message 18 of 20
TrippyLighting

Tesselation can be controlled in Fusion 360 but if that also works in conjunction with Keyshot I cannot say, but it does work for the built in renderer and it was actually implemented for the same reason.

This is done on an object basis.

Before exporting to Keyshot, right-cLick on the object (component, or body) with the tesselation problems and select display detail control. Set it to fixed/high.

Then see if that imptoves the situation in Keyshot.

Peter Doering
Message 19 of 20
blacktip
in reply to: TrippyLighting

@TrippyLighting Another user (Greg R) at the Keyshot forum did try what you're suggesting, but the results wasn't good at all -› post #6 in the following thread: https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=19970.new 

Message 20 of 20
TrippyLighting

Thanks for the feedback! Another user had the same question recently and I suggested the same, but never got any feedback.

That this does not work is really rather terrible, particularly as Keyshot is pretty expensive.

Peter Doering

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report