Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Independent copy in history mode

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Helmi74
4879 Views, 7 Replies

Independent copy in history mode

Greetings,

i understand that some features are not yet available in history mode for different reasons. 

I can't really understand this when we talk about copying a component. I can copy and paste one so the copy is dependent on the original one but i can't just copy and "paste new" to have an independent copy? This sounds weird and totally breaks my workflow.

What is the best way to ship around this and have an independet copy of an object?

Thanks for helping!

---
Frank / @helmi

Established 1974. Internet addicted since 1994. Collector of Kudos.
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Yolmen
in reply to: Helmi74

I'm totally with you!  The beta versions of fusion seemed a lot better, then I payed yearly subricption, upodates came and it's like a different software now (went downhill). Not beying able to mirror or copy independed component is absolutely stupid and counterproductive.

Also for workflow it would be nice to be able to shuffle around the components in the list like in the beta! Don't even start me on the bodies that total nightmare.

Also would like to se ability to select few components and save them as step or stl.

Message 3 of 8
Helmi74
in reply to: Yolmen

Hi Yolmen,

maybe you just missed that but you can always leave history mode and enter direct modelling mode without history so you have the "old version" back with all the old features. Just right click the top most entry in your tree and select "Do not capture design history" and you're good to go.

You can also shuffle around the components in the tree by just dragging and dropping them - no matter in which of the modes you are. Or maybe i misunderstood you but that still works.

Save as stl unfortunately is only available component by component currently afaik. Multiple component select to export as one single stl is a good idea. Why not put it in the idea section of the forums?
---
Frank / @helmi

Message 4 of 8
Yolmen

Hi Helmi74

Thank you for the history trick. How ever with the design history on I'm not able to shuffle componenets around (also once I turn it off and then turn back on it crashes the software).

Message 5 of 8
Helmi74
in reply to: Yolmen

when you say shuffle do you mean reordering them? So only changing there position up and down or do you put them inside other components?

Reordering components is possible for me in history mode - nothing different to direct mode.

If the software crashes you should send in crash reports and i'm sure later when the week finally starts in the US, too some guy from the team will jump in and look at that issue.
---
Frank / @helmi

Message 6 of 8
Yolmen

Yes Helmi74, I cant position components in the tree the way I would like in the History momde ON. When it's off (thank for that 🙂 ) I can easly organise. I need that since I make multiple versions of one component in one design and then just turn them on and off. 

Message 7 of 8
kingson138

Hi Frank, I had already asked this question at the forum and one answer said "We are already tracking the issues."  Another answer said "Unfortunately this feature will not be added in the next update." Well just forget about all these confusion. I had found the following work flow to copy components new (independantly) without leaving the parametric mode. (Scaling components I still have no fix, need to stop recording for that). First when copying a body to a new body it will be copied as an independent new body at the parametric mode. So to do that, open up all your sub components and then press "Command" (for Mac) or "Control" (for PC) + Left Mouse click to select multiple bodies from the different components and sub components, then select  "Copy."

After that perform a "Paste" operation at the root component (that is just my habit) and a new "Body" group  will be formed under the root component. These bodies are all independent from the original ones.

In order to do that I think I would arrange two Assemblies/Main Components. One Assembly/Main Component will contain all my original components and subcomponents.

A new Assembly/Main component maybe called (in my example) "Copy Nose Eye Group" then move the new "pasted" body copies into this new Assembly/Main component. Of course I would move them into different sub Components like before.

This had solved my problem until they can add a "Paste New" or "Make Independent" to the Parametric mode.

A screen shot:

Copy bodies at Parametric.png

To Mirror components that can be done at the 'Create Base Feature " mode, then "Finish Base Feature" The components can be Mirrored this way. Hope it works for you.

Regards,
Kingson
Using Apple computers
Message 8 of 8
mark2t

I'm pretty new to 360 having long experience with parametric modeling with SolidWorks and Pro-E. I too am finding it confusing and frustrating that I can't copy a component and it's history to make a new version of it that I can modify next to the original. Also, there should be a way to save out to a separate file a single component and/or subassembly.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report