Discussion Groups

Get Help with Fusion 360

Contributor

Importing SVG files as sketches

348 Views, 12 Replies
10-19-2013 01:28 AM

This was apparently implemented in October, (the ability to import SVG files)...

Is there any instructions available as to how to do this?

If this allows the use of SVG files for sketches (so I can import designs from Illustrator for incorporation and creation of 3D items) that would be awesome.

But it just isn't clear how to do this.

Thanks for any help

Please use plain text.
Distinguished Contributor

Re: Importing SVG files as sketches

10-19-2013 01:43 AM in reply to: sanguish
i already answered your question in the idea section.

Just choose "import svg" from the sketch menu when inside a sketch and select your svg file. If it's a closed loop it gets imported well and you can for example extrude it or do anything else with it you would do with other sketches.
---
Frank (@helmi / Twitter)
MacOSX 10.9 (iMac 2013)

Please support my ideas and comments to improve Fusion360. click here to see them.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

10-19-2013 02:27 AM in reply to: Helmi74
Ah, thanks.

This is a somewhat bad UI choice as the menu item appears and disappears based on selection. Instead it should enable or disable.

But this makes a huge improvement for me as there are some things that can be drawn in Illustrator much quicker than in sketch mode and then moved over (for example, the use of auto trace). And it gives wonderful text support!
Please use plain text.

10-19-2013 02:58 AM in reply to: sanguish
you're right on both parts - horrible UI decision but that still could be changed i think, and also you're right that this is a greatly needed feature. That's why we posted that in the ideas section.
---
Frank (@helmi / Twitter)
MacOSX 10.9 (iMac 2013)

Please support my ideas and comments to improve Fusion360. click here to see them.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

10-19-2013 09:24 PM in reply to: Helmi74
Well, horrible UI decision might be a little strong.

But it does go against the Apple Human Interface Guidelines (granted, not my book so I don?t read it that often, but I recall that was the rule - I can ask)

I?m not sure how I feel about the new UI, it?s not as easy to select the items.

But this SVG feature is awesome.
Please use plain text.

10-19-2013 10:49 PM in reply to: sanguish
not horrible UI of course - i like the new UI. But the decision to hide a menu item just because it's inactive next to others from the same "group" that are not hidden at the same time - this is a horrible decision in my opinion.
---
Frank (@helmi / Twitter)
MacOSX 10.9 (iMac 2013)

Please use plain text.
Employee

10-25-2013 08:24 AM in reply to: Helmi74

I agree that the SVG should be visible and selectable outside the sketch environment.  Upon selection the user should be prompted for a plane to define where the SVG will be placed.  It should probably provide scaling and positioning handles by default.  What do you think?  I will create an improvement.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

10-27-2013 04:52 AM in reply to: deyop
I think those would be good improvements.

Outside of a sketch I can see (if it made a sketch).

I'm wondering if it's possible to wrap one on a curved surface.. that would be useful as well.

Scott
Please use plain text.
snwright

11-12-2013 04:36 PM in reply to: Helmi74

I'm having a bit of trouble with this - My closed-loop SVG is importing, but it's not recognized as a closed loop and therefore is really difficult to work with. Anyone know why a SVG would seem closed in Illustrator but open in F360?

Please use plain text.
Product Support
AndrewSears

11-12-2013 05:59 PM in reply to: snwright

We are running into this from time to time.  Can you email me the SVG file at andrew.sears@autodesk.com?

The translation is creating an small opening sometimes.  Add a sketch line at the halfway point.  This will tell you what side(s) have the opening.

Let me know if you need any help and I will show you what I have done with more detail.

Thanks,

Andy 

Please use plain text.