Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Imported solid to TSpline

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
high.lea
1688 Views, 7 Replies

Imported solid to TSpline

I am just starting try using Fusion 360. I want to bring in a model of a casting with lots of fillets and angled faces so that I can move features such as bosses.

I see that you can convert a T spline to a solid, but can you do it the other way round?

Thanks Colin

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
stevie.d
in reply to: high.lea

I'm sure someone with more extensive knowledge than I, might give a more in-depth answer but from my limited experience of using the software you can't go back from a model to t-spline editing,

Message 3 of 8
deyop
in reply to: stevie.d

Solid or surface models can't be converted to T-Spline directly.  However you may find solutions in the Patch workspace.  You can delete faces and with the Patch command fill in those areas subsequently detail modeling can be completed with the commands in Model.  There is one tool in the Model workspace called Edit Face that will convert a single face to T-Spline and allow editing with T-Spline controls.  When you complete the command it will integrate the T-Spline body back into the solid.

We expect to support development of T-Spline bodies from scan data and that could also include converted solid and surfaces in future releases. 

If you can show an image of what you want to do we might be able to give you some pointers. 

Here is a link to an Edit Face video in case you are interested.

Thanks

Edit Face

Message 4 of 8
stevie.d
in reply to: deyop

Wow, that has just made a whole lot more of the application "discoverable" for me, Thanks

Message 5 of 8
stevie.d

Although in saying that could I highlight what appears to be a wee anomaly or is it me? 

I've converted this T-Spline body to a Model, and, want to use Push Pull command which is what I expect to see when right clicking, but, get an edit form command option that still appears which doesn't yield any result and why would it on a model, any reason why it's still thinking it's a T-spline?

PP.jpg

Message 6 of 8
stevie.d

Ah Ok! it's because I'm still in sculpt mode, but thought the option might be greyed out
Message 7 of 8
high.lea
in reply to: deyop

I have had a look at the edit face video and it looks very inpressive. However, when I tried it on a model body that I had converted from a T spline (nothing too fancy) while I was able to get the movable faces and edges, everytime I comitted the change, I got an error message that it was unable to replace the body faces with the tool faces. All I had done was to pull a face up out of plane etc.

On a wider note, I would like a simple understanding of the modelling concepts behind T-spline and standard models.

Is it a case that traditional models start with faces that are then trimmed to generate edges, while T-splines start with edges that are then filled in to create faces?

I have used 3DS Max a bit and this uses polygons that are heavily modified at the image generation stage, but generally behaves like T-splines. Are the faces we see when using T-splines real mathematical faces, or are they generated at the image stage from flat faces joining the edges?

Sorry to be so long winded and the answers are probably out there, but I am trying to get to grips with this in a short time.

Colin

Message 8 of 8
trafficbikes
in reply to: high.lea

There's a great video on the basics of t-splines here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suv90ahXa5s&feature=plcp

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report