Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use the new : 3D Sketch Curve

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
cekuhnen
3917 Views, 6 Replies

How to use the new : 3D Sketch Curve

I read that a recent update includes "3D Sketch Curve" now.

However I am unable to figure out how to even find it.

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
AndrewSears
in reply to: cekuhnen

Let's see if I can clear this up for you.  Just hear me out and try my steps below.  This is only the beginning of what is possible but it should give you some things to think about.  I can always add more info!!!!

Make sure that 3D sketching is enabled.

setting 3D sketching.png

Once this is on you are ready to go.  We are treating 2D and 3D sketches as the same "environment".  Keep this in mind.  ALL sketches on a 2D plane are really just 3D sketches with one of the coordinates defined as zero.  

Let's start off with a sketch on a 2D plane.  I will use a 2 point rectangle.

2D sketch.PNG

Now rotate the view a little... 

rotated view.PNG

We started with a sketch on a 2D plane so now select one of the end points and choose "move".  Move the end point perpendicular to the 2D plane sketched on.  Hit ok.

moving end point.PNG

Now you have a sketch that exists in 3 dimensions.  To help visualize this and help transition into the next thing I want to show you, switch to the patch environment and patch the 3D sketch.

Don't forget about "include 3D geometry" after the sketch is started.  This will help tie the sketch plane to the other 3D geometry.

Try this out and see if it gets you started.  I have more I can show you if needed.  We have some great ideas on where we want to take this and would love to hear your input.

Please let us know what you think.

Thanks,

Andy 

Message 3 of 7
cekuhnen
in reply to: AndrewSears

Hi Andy

I just figured out how to use this myself as well - interesting idea but I see some roadblocks here.

The main reason why I want 3D curves is to create more complex input profiles for surfacing commands.

One of the major roadblocks in my opinion is that the sketch tool works with lines arcs and splines and you can only create filets between the line tool curves but not the spline curves.

Also another great use of profiles is for using it with commands like Rail and curve networks. Both seem not to be possible with Fusion 360 right now.

Claas Kuhnen

Message 4 of 7
cekuhnen

another problem I just noticed is also that while in Alias or Rhino you put down lines and can selectively join them Fusion joins them automatically when a line is drawn end point to end point of other line/lines. You can see that when I use the loft command the horizontal and left right profiles are all fused together.

This makes 3D sketching a little akward and maybe more cumbersome than needed. The point for me as a designer to have 3D curves would be the ability to draw the same way like in Rhino and also be able to utilze them for creating surfaces like in Rhino the same way.Screen Shot 2013-11-12 at 1.15.42 PM.jpg

Claas Kuhnen

Message 5 of 7
cekuhnen

Hi Andrew

here is a quick screencast showing some other issues and shortcommings I noticed.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byzv_NlyKp_2TS0zeUFkbldhS0U/edit?usp=sharing

Claas Kuhnen

Message 6 of 7
schneik-adsk

can you explain  more about

Also another great use of profiles is for using it with commands like Rail and curve networks. Both seem not to be possible with Fusion 360 right now. "

Kevin Schneider
Message 7 of 7
cekuhnen

Hey Kevin

here is a quick demo how I would work in RHino:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20131112/METRO01/311120068/Heidelberg-Project-s-House-Soul-burns-...

Claas Kuhnen

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report