Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to update an existing sketch

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
gillesht
658 Views, 11 Replies

How to update an existing sketch

How can I modify an existing sketch?

Best regards.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
FrankCao
in reply to: gillesht

Hi gilesht,

Thanks for your question.

It seems you don't know how to modify an existing sketch when you are out of sketch environment, right? An easy way to do this is just find the sketch you want to modify on the browser node, and then right mouse click on the sketch, and choose "Edit Sketch", then you should be able to enter the sketch environment to do any modifications you like. I also attach a picture here:

Edit Sketch.png

Thanks,

Frank

Message 3 of 12
gillesht
in reply to: FrankCao

Hi Frank,

When I right click on Sketch1 I don't have the Edit sketch option. Do you know why? Please see attachment.

Best regards.

Message 4 of 12
schneik-adsk

It looks like you created a base feature, inside this base feature you created a sketch. Then you created a body using one of the base feature modeling tools.  then you exited the base feature. Then you deleted the body(s) you created in the base feature. We show the sketch that is inside the base feature. To edit these sketches wrapped in the base feature edit the base feature. It is the first feature in your timeline.

Not, knowing what you are trying to do... this is an odd workflow and not something we would expect in normal use.  Maybe you can describe what you were trying to do and we can help with a more direct way?

Kevin Schneider
Message 5 of 12
gillesht
in reply to: schneik-adsk

Hi Kevin,

I'm trying to build a solid model of the part shown in the attachment. I've already build such a model and was trying to modify it by trying to edit the sketch. That's when everything went bad. So I'm trying to start from the spline you see in the attachment.

Best regards.

Message 6 of 12
schneik-adsk

Here is a video for making that shape as a fully defined single sketch.

Kevin Schneider
Message 7 of 12
gillesht

Problem solved.

Best regards.

Message 8 of 12
Helmi74

@schneik-adsk maybe i'm repeating myself but... having such videos (even better with additional comments about why you do things and how) is such a great value. There are lots of things you do in this video which i haven't seen before and which are not documented or shown in any other video or tutorial i have seen.

And yes i'm sure i'm repeating myself 😉
---
Frank / @helmi

Established 1974. Internet addicted since 1994. Collector of Kudos.
Message 9 of 12
schneik-adsk
in reply to: Helmi74

Any time you have a part and have questions, pass it on. We enjoy making videos like this that show a full design because we can pass on tips that are hard to document or explain in writing.

I am glade you found it useful.

Kevin Schneider
Message 10 of 12
Helmi74

mostly i don't have actual problems in projects but in videos like the one above i see several things that i haven't worked with yet. Partly i can identify what's going on from the video but having an additional voice explanation would be great.

Especially working with constraints is something that i'm not getting used to very well. I think sketching in general and Constraints/Dimensions in special would be good for a hangout, too - this is something where the team could get great feedback about whats missing most likely too.
---
Frank / @helmi

Message 11 of 12

+1 on what Frank says.  Most of the time I find this sort of thing useful because it stimulates ideas about how to solve design issues, not necessarily because I've hit a wall. 

Audio comments would be good, but even better would be text, and freezing on the key points like a slide show, or at least pausing a second- several places in this video I had to stop and back up multiple times in order to catch the exact fraction of a second where I could see what menu item was being selected- and I'm moderately familiar with these tools by now. I think it would be very confusing for a new user to follow, due to the speed, particularly when gestures are used to select tools. For the learn section adding text descriptions ("select the Sketch- Point tool") to the videos would increase comprehensibility 1000%. 

I still find the order of operations for the constraints tool confusing. A global guide or reference on using constraints would be helpful. What is the overall logic to the use of the tool?  I have not seen this described in the learning section.  There is a definitions list of what the various constraints are (which is mostly obvious), but not much on how to actually apply them. Searching through the resources, this is an often asked question. Say I have a line I want to constrain as tangent to an arc or circle- do I select the constraints tool first, or the line, or the circle? What if I want the line to move to the circle- do i first select the point at the end of the line, the whole line, the circle, or all at once?  Before or after selecting the constraint I want? I've figured out the answers to some of these questions through trial and error, but there should be a step by step description on using constraints. 

- Ron

Mostly Mac- currently M1 MacBook Pro

Message 12 of 12
Helmi74
in reply to: Oceanconcepts

Ron is right (well like most of the time ;-))

Personally i don't like text in videos very much so i would definitely vote for (if then) text additional to audio (eventually to make things clearer).

I'm also a bit unsure if entry level learning material and deep and intensive pro/semi pro level stuff should be mixed up but as we already discussed several times now - learning material is still missing and there's lots of function that you can definitely only learn by trying and at least for me i definitely know i'm not able to find out everything myself.

I can imagine that especially for the more advanced tutorials it is hard to find out what is needed and what needs to be explained in such a video so why not test some procedures.

rough/quick idea:

- make a short (5-10 minutes?) tutorial on a special topic (i think sketching could be one and possibly include constraints or probably constraints is a big enough topic to cover more)
- schedule a hangout a few days after release of this video with a announcement in the forums so interested people can watch the video and attend the hangout. The hangout and the forum announcement with the video attached prior to the hangout can be used to ask additional questions, bring in further ideas that need to be covered in the video.
- remake the video with all the additional input/questions/explanations from the forums and the hangout and put it in the learning section for future users.

This would be something that could be done every month or twice a month and could easily go in the weeks between the other hangouts (something i already suggested a while ago).

and now let me give kudos to Ron *click* 🙂
---
Frank / @helmi

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report