Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crashing for other Mac users?

29 REPLIES 29
SOLVED
Message 1 of 30
Jfactory
999 Views, 29 Replies

Crashing for other Mac users?

I've been using Fusion 360 on two systems - my work computer a PC and my Macbook Pro.  Until recently it performed just as well on both machines.  Since the most recent update, however, the Mac version is crashing like crazy.

I'm doing the last set of beta tasks and so I leave Safari open so I can follow the steps or watch videos. When I go back to Fusion 360 it stalls for a sec and I say "Oh no." And poof! gone.

I was wondering if this is happening to others?

29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30
asmenor
in reply to: Jfactory

It's not just you.

I was having stability problems before but this version is definitely worse for me as well. 

It's sometimes fine for a few minutes but then every time I do anything in the browser (expand/fold a group; turn visibility on or off; etc) - crash.

Message 3 of 30
schneik-adsk
in reply to: asmenor

We found Friday one of the causes of this instability.

I am going to guess that your dock is hidden and the app window is maximized?

If so than you will get random crashes in the browser. We have a fix in testing and will push out an update shortly.

In the mean time, unhide your dock. It will help prevent the crash.

Sorry for your trouble.

Kevin Schneider
Message 4 of 30

There is also apparently an issue when going from another app to Fusion. If you go directly to the Fusion browser it causes a crash.  Clicking in the window, manipulating the view cube, etc. first helps. 

- Ron

Mostly Mac- currently M1 MacBook Pro

Message 5 of 30
Jfactory
in reply to: Oceanconcepts

Thank you for the replies. Yes my dock is hidden. Knowing these things helps. 🙂

The beta is fun. I'm grateful to be a tester. 🙂

Message 6 of 30
asmenor
in reply to: schneik-adsk

Thanks - really looking forward to the fix !

In the meantime, I've turned off dock hiding and will try not to switch apps for now. Will report back if that helps or not. 

Message 7 of 30

For what it's worth, since updating to 1.6.356 I seem to have no problems with application switching and the browser, no more crashes. 

- Ron

Message 8 of 30
asmenor

Yeah I should have posted something about that sooner. Since the update, it's running smoothly and it's gone from a frustrating nightmare to a dream.

Message 9 of 30

Thank you for the update. Keep us posted if that shoud change.

Kevin Schneider
Message 10 of 30

Well, it changed for me.  

I have a document I've been doing quite a lot of work on the last couple of days, and Fusion has been running great.  However, it hung up on trying to rearrange a component in the browser.  This is in PR 0227. I believe this is my first crash in the new version. 

However, that is not the distressing thing.  When I went to reopen the file, I see that nothing I did has been saved on the cloud since 4/9 22:38:19.  That is also when I last used the local archive tool. It's now 4/11 about 18:45. 

I've been working, steadily for 4-5 hours this afternoon, without any error messages or indications of problems other than a PLM 360 error yesterday, which went away after I restarted Fusion. An option to save locally and automatically would help me feel a lot better about this. 

Right now, I'm wondering how I can tell if anything is being saved- I'm doing a project that needs to get completed, and want very much to use Fusion for it.  The experience has been getting better and better, except for not saving my work...

Ron

- Ron

Message 11 of 30

Can you check something for me? is there an entry for the design in recently opened documents list?

Kevin Schneider
Message 12 of 30

There is now, after I reopened it and recreated what was lost, but after the crash and restart when I noticed that it had not been saving versions, no, there was not. The recently opened documents list was blank.  The last saved version history shows a blank space from a couple of days before until I reopened it after the crash. 

- Ron

Message 13 of 30

In order to try and keep our team and you on the same topic, let'd keep the discussion to
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Using-Autodesk-Fusion-360-Beta/Any-way-to-recover-from-locally-cached-...

That way we don't miss anything. Thanks for working with us. We will figure this out ASAP.
Kevin Schneider
Message 14 of 30
garin
in reply to: Oceanconcepts

If you look at the application title bar you should see the design name as well as the version you are working on (and if its been edited), If you want more info you can select the Design from the breadcrumb bar at the top of the screen to take you to the dashboard. From there you can see details around your design. You should see new versions being created there from Autosave and any Version Markers you have created. To get back to the design just hit Edit and it will take you back into the design you were working on.

Message 15 of 30
Oceanconcepts
in reply to: garin

I understand the navigation- the problem was versions were not being saved when they should have been, and there was no error message generated. I've since recreated the same problem, and someone on the development team has seen it as well. Per the admin request, to consolidate things and help information get to the right people, the topic is being covered in this thread:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Using-Autodesk-Fusion-360-Beta/Any-way-to-recover-from-locally-cached-...
It appears that there are some circumstances in which Fusion is not saving to the cloud, and also not generating any warnings to the user that versions are not being saved. This problem is being diligently investigated- it seems it might relate to a server time out, but that's not certain.
- Ron

Message 16 of 30
kingson138

Hi I found that using Magic Mouse or Trakpad with iMac or Mac Mini will produce frequent crashes. Two days ago I decided to use Apple Wired Mouse with middle trak ball and it seems to work beautifully. I had not seen crashes on my iMac and Mac Mini since two days' ago. The Three button mouse also works better with Fusion 360. I also found that when using the BOX to rotate, do not drag to the right direction, drag to the left, it will do the same thing. Dragging to the right might produce crashes also. It is better to rotate by pressing the SHIFT key, then pressing the middle mouse button  (you can release the SHIFT key while rotating). I think Fusion 360 works better with a real three button mouse rather than Trakpad or Magic Mouse. Hope it helps!

Regards,
Kingson
Using Apple computers
Message 17 of 30
jakefowler
in reply to: kingson138

Hi kingson138,

Many thanks for posting to the forum, and thanks for sharing your navigation tips!

You mentioned encountering crashes when using a Magic Mouse or Trackpad – I don’t think we’ve heard about this problem before, and this might be something we should investigate further. When you encounter these crashes, do see the dialog for submitting an Autodesk crash report? If so, would it be possible to submit one of these, and let me know what email address you supplied? (If you’d rather not share your email address on the forum, you could just send it to me in a private message.)

Something it might be worth trying is to turn off gesture navigation, and see if this resolves your issues when using these input devices. To do this, open the Preferences dialog (from the three-bar menu in the top-left corner of the Fusion 360 window), and in the General preferences, uncheck the ‘Use gesture-based view navigation’ checkbox:

gestureoption.png

If you are able to try that out, let me know if this makes a difference or not – this would be very useful to know!

Thanks again for your post, and hope these issues aren’t getting in the way of your enjoyment of Fusion 360,

Kind regards,

Jake

Jake Fowler
Principal Experience Designer
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Message 18 of 30
kingson138
in reply to: jakefowler

Hi Jake, up to today, after switching to Apple three button mouse i have had no crashes so far on both my iMac and Mac Mini. Maybe due to the fact that i did not use the box to rotate. Just Shift Middle Mouse Button.

Regards,
Kingson
Using Apple computers
Message 19 of 30
jakefowler
in reply to: kingson138

Thanks for the update Kingson! Glad to hear you're no longer encountering this problem.

I received your PM, many thanks for this - I've located the crash report you submitted, and I will forward this information to our development team to see if we can track down the problem you were seeing.

Thanks again for your help in investigating this issue, it's very much appreciated!

Jake

Jake Fowler
Principal Experience Designer
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Message 20 of 30
kingson138
in reply to: jakefowler

Hi Jake, last night I received an error message when using Fillet (my iMac at home). I uninstalled fusion 360 and reinstalled it again. It seems to work again. Today I uninstalled the program from my office Mac Mini and reinstalled the program again. After 10 hours of working, not a single crash.  So maybe changing the mouse to wired, and reinstalling the program could solve the problem.

Regards,
Kingson
Using Apple computers

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report