Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculate stability with TS or Fusion?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
cekuhnen
550 Views, 4 Replies

Calculate stability with TS or Fusion?

Hi there,

does Fusion have a mode which could calculate structural stability such has how many vertical poles are needed to prevent the yellow topsurface not to breack when sitting on it?

I was curious if maybe the curvature setting in TS might line up with the openings we tested out through prototyping but they did not match really.

Soldithinking has a pretty cool bone growth algorythm that does something simmilar.

Screen Shot 2014-04-01 at 3.09.47 PM.png

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
schneik-adsk
in reply to: cekuhnen

We have some expreiments on this internaly.  Here is a video of one of those tests. Tell us what you think...

Kevin Schneider
Message 3 of 5
cekuhnen
in reply to: schneik-adsk

For sure this looks interesting. Looking forward to explore it. Great idea to integrate it into Fusion natively!

Claas Kuhnen

Message 4 of 5

Kevin, this is great. I keep thinking back to the early days of desktop publishing, when easy to use tools resulted in a lot of really bad design.  I think one of the great challenges for tools like Fusion, which open possibilities to many people without much training, is to help them make better designs. Simple structural feedback like this could be a real help.

- Ron

Mostly Mac- currently M1 MacBook Pro

Message 5 of 5
cekuhnen
in reply to: Oceanconcepts

Hi Ron,

I think what you pointed out does not only apply to people with not much training but also designers in general.

Idealy today a desig education should include applied arts as well as engineering but that will never really be likely

to happen as this would also requiere more semesters to study to make it meaningful.

So what I find interesting about Fusion is that it tries to present a solution to certain complex problems.

Alias is dramatically better at surfacing than Fusion 360. But not every designer will also dig into all the high end

features Alias offers for surface control. I guess thats why specifically with Alias you also call them Alias sculptors.

On the other side shelling a design in Alias is a pain and in Fusion fantastic.

I see the demonstrated sim part as well a nice simplification to provide you a rough idea. And that is I think somethings

also enough for a designer to get his/her design direction adjusted when testing physical problems and not having to

run this by the engineer, in case that person is also present.

Now I teach industrial design students and not engineers. They all have a certain understanding of materials but less

engineering and Fusion increasingly turns into a very nice option for them to include into their workflow.

Claas Kuhnen

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report